Bay paving the way for the Beast Wars film series:)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jimmy88, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Jimmy88

Jimmy88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WELL DONE my good man:)  Exactly its Transformers, done deal for Hollywood. By them slapping the name Transformers on it, BOOM! Hollywood sees $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rolling in.

2. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    gotta have both megs awesome

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah but if the main reason they'd do a Beast Wars movie is because it's part of Transformers, then wouldn't they sooner just do a Transformers movie.

There's nothing on that list that wasn't already in Transformers. Dinosaurs, time travel, etc, they covered all of that back in the eighties.

4. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

But they were bigger in Beast Wars and Beast Wars is Transformers, so they would be making a Transformers movie.

5. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I dislike Beast Wars for my own reasons, but I would love to see a live-action movie made of it. I think it would work splendidly, and pull in some new fans as TFM and ROTF have done.

6. defstar

defstar Autobot...

THIS...

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think Hasbro wants to do something with Beast Wars since they use the name almost every time they want to talk about excellent writing standards and Beast Wars characters keep popping up in other shows like Animated.

I just don't think Hollywood is the way to go.

Hasbro has The Hub now and if the live action franchise is going to end for a while after the third film that will mean more room for experimentation since they will not have to gear everything for film related products. So I could see something being done with a cartoon series on The Hub. Since it's Hasbro running the show there is no rule that they can only have one Transformers cartoon series at the time.

The way they have been talking up Transformers Prime I think I'd rather entrust Beast Wars to the cartoon guys who want to put some love into a project than Hollywood that will just slap names on and hope for big profits.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I could sorta see Beast Wars being revived as a kids show where the TF are hiding out in sewers (crocs, rats), zoos and animal waterparks (lots of animal choices in those), museums (stuffed animals, including rare and extinct) and some kids discover them and they partner up like Pokémon with animals they can take home like cats and dogs and hamsters and parrots and wholesome fluffy things for the good kids and then scaly slithery pets for the bad kids. Maybe there's some kind of Power Rangers/Digimon element too where the kids take direct action with the robots when they battle.
    Talking animal pets that turn into robots. Would bring the characters into childrens' homes in the show making bringing the toys of them into their homes in the real world more relevant.
    Could be done live action too I guess with cheap CGI robots and putting character voices into the mouths of real dogs and cats etc for the beast modes. Could make a nice cheesy kids movie as well. In 3D no doubt. :p 

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Why a "kids" movie/show?

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I think in terms of what I'm imagining it would work better that way. I suppose a more grown-up version could be made too but I think kids prefer to see kids in their toy shows so they can imagine themselves having those adventures as well.
    That's not to say I'd be against a more 'adult' Beast Wars show/movie, but once it gets too primal it might go away from being suitable for kids, which is who Transformers is mostly trying to shift product to after all.

11. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Oh God I hope not.

12. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

You lost me when you said you think kids prefer to see kids in their toy shows. That's never worked out well for Transformers.

13. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Well, just look at how many kids shows have little kids or teens as the main characters. Even some movies that go to the small screen change the older characters to kids. Of course there are exceptions with some iconic characters but mostly it looks to me like it's kids for kids, expecially when the show or movie is also heavily linked to a toyline.
    In terms of Transformers I mostly see older fans complaining about kids in those shows. How do actual kids feel about it? I imagine there's less of those concerned about it.
    Although thinking back to the 80s and 90s there were more adult characters in the toy shows but things seem to have shifted to having kids in those roles more and more.

14. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Yeah but doing a Beast Wars film would be a way to change it up, do an alternative or a short break between Transformers films, kinda like a side story between TF films. It would shoot to the future/back in time for Beast Wars and then maybe come back to present day to continue the TF story in future films but with different characters because Prime, Bee and the rest of the bots go back to cybertron. They would maybe consider a BW film so the main line does not get boring, watered down or stale....

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Those are usually shows that involved humans from the beginning. Nobody ever cares about the human characters in Transformers.

Also, there are almost never any human Transformers figures. So why would the lack of a human presence in the show be a deal breaker for kids who just want to see their toy robots fight?

16. Jimmy88

News Credits:

I think it could work both ways but what drew me to the Transformers films is that they aimed toward a serious sci fi action vibe which I just loved, I mean the second trailer for ROTF was almost like a horror movie which I just loved, its a shame the film didnt follow up like that, but I could see a toned down BW film for the kids but I would rather see a more serious dynamic BW film, but thats just me:) 

17. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Somebody must care or they'd never be there.
    Maybe there's no kid figures because the kids want to imagine themselves in that role when playing.
    I dunno. I just put forward an idea within the thread I thought might work as a show based on the formats I see on kids telly all the time. I didn't think I was going to be grilled to have to justify why it maybe being a kids show would make sense when it's based on a kids toyline.
    Indeed it's flexible and can be made to work both ways. Myself I'd greatly prefer a more mature BW show with realistic snarly animals battling with claws and whatnot and having the real threat of proper injury.
    Unfortunately TF will forever be tied to a childrens toyline and while the media has to support the toys there will always be restrictions in the end. I think BayFormers was allowed to get away from that to some degree because it was a general release action movie intended to not only sell toys but also bring Transformers to a wider audience (and then sell them toys too), but for a TF television show, which is traditionally aimed at kids, things are dialed back down. Even moreso in this day and age of the slightest little thing a parent thinks is bad for their kids in the show could mean the show being pulled and the toyline sales being negatively impacted.

Anyways, I'm out of this thread.

18. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

If they cared then one of them would have stuck around by now. But as it stands, no human character's appeal lasts longer than their series.

They're basically something that is forced because someone in the creative process feels there needs to be a human presence to anchor the show. Beast Wars did fine without humans.

I pity any child who watches Transformers and thinks "Hey, I want to be that kid" and not "Hey, I want to be a giant robot from space."

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With Transformers though there are just so many ways to mix things up. Just about any time period with humans and machines can have Transformers. So like the GI Joe movie they might go with something near future so they didn't have to use current cars. Or things could take a step back to a setting even earlier than now or the 80's.

Watching some of the really great World War II films that have come out I've always had this feeling that if a live action Transformers World War II film was helmed by the right director it could be amazing. Like take the scene where the Allied aircraft show up in Saving Private Ryan but imagine that plane transforming into an Autobot, or what Ironhide might look like as a Sherman tank.

20. optimus_tractor

optimus_tractor Well-Known Member

No, see, here's the problem- Beast Wars had a plot. It had characters that were memorable. It had a coherent story.

Bay may have trouble tackling such complex concepts like those.