Bay : Good or Bad ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Meggamus, Sep 22, 2011.

?

Did you like Bay as the director?

1. Yes, I had no complaints

76 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. No, It didn't impress me

25 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. 50/50 -Did some things right, did some things wrong

27 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

He's a solid action director, but he's not a good storyteller and doesn't handle characters very well. His movies look good but lack soul. I love good action scenes, but good characters and story make action scenes even better.

Spielberg's influence on the first movie is one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much more than the sequels. You can see his influence in certain scenes.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Great action director and money maker but a bad director story and charecter wise.

If you want a action film he's the go to guy.

3. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, good that the other choice is now there.

4. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

"lack soul" .... Did u see DOTM , from sentinel becoming a traitor to him killing ironhide and from the bots getting exiled to BB almost getting shot and then optimus killing his own mentor because of what he'd done , i think the flm has soul

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's too bad the third choice puts in a percentage. "Did some things right, did some things wrong" is an excellent option I just wouldn't call it 50/50 maybe 30 good/70 bad for me.

6. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

Geeezz, 50/50 is jst a figure of speech , if your view is 30/70 or 20/80 even 39.5/60.5 jst pick the 50/50 option and state in your post what and why u thought something was wrong/right

7. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea that's why he said it could I guess. For me I think there is a huge possibility transformers would be lame and kiddy if another director tackled it. The tone would be veering towards cheesy. A good example is the gi Joe movie...entertaining but oh so lame. Worst example? Dragon ball evolution!

8. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    No complaints. He's completed my happiness for the Live Action Transformer movies.

9. Ash from Carolina

I don't know, no one can really screw up something like Uwe Boll. BloodRayne shouldn't have been that hard a super sexy half vampire in a tight yet skimpy outfit killing Nazis with style. So you've got vampires, sexy outfit, and you kill Nazis in the game yet Uwe Boll still screwed all that up in the movies.

Even G4 a network with almost no budget at all managed to find someone who looked more like game BloodRayne than Uwe Boll did.

10. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This is how I feel. He is probably the best action scene director even, but he doesn't know how to edit or pace his movies, and that hurts them more than anything else he does. Also, I disagree that his movies lack "soul". It's really the editing and pacing that off puts the audience, making it harder to invest in the characters. They certainly don't lack "soul" though.

The following are mainly just my opinions, although I love watching all 3 movies:

TF1: The best of the three in terms of story pacing. I would take out a couple small scenes, and Barricade suddenly disappears, but mostly good.

RotF: The worst in terms of pacing. The majority of the second half is a drag, and the coolest scenes are in the middle! Too much unnecessary fluff in the 3rd quarter left little room for an exciting fight in the end. Plus the title character, The Fallen, was barely in it.

DotM: The first half is overlong and risks boring the audience, although once it gets underway, it's an amazing ride. Still, if someone is bored in the first half, they will be less invested in the second half when the action finally hits. Also, the part where the Autobots become prisoners was a real WTF?! moment.

Wow. I think you are the definition of an internet troll. Congrats, you only exist to fan the flames of the internet. Get a life.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    His movies rocked. They weren't perfect, but they made Transformers relevant, and that's what matters.

12. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a hater yet.

13. mjcrow

mjcrow Well-Known Member

Yea, they could have been worse, but they def could have been better. I think I would have liked em more without Labouf.

14. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Also, Bay got me all my favorite characters.

15. Ash from Carolina

I think you have me so wrong.

If I'm your example of an internet troll then maybe your definition is off. I've got no reason to start any of the crazy fan fights. I don't use name calling or other inflammatory methods just because I disagree with someone else. I have no agenda that everyone must like what I like and dislike what I don't like. I tend to watch the flames but if other fans aren't building huge bonfires over little things I'd have no flames to watch.

A bit like how I enjoy watching backstabbing on TV shows and in movies but I don't go around backstabbing other people in real life and try to discourage others from backstabbing.

Although I do appreciate the attempt at irony by calling someone a troll and then throwing in "Get a life".

16. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    "50/50" is probably the best fit of the three options available, but I'd say it was more like 75/25 in Bay's favour. I enjoyed all three movies (DOTM the most, ROTF the least), but there were a few things I would like to have seen done differently. On the whole, he did good things for Transformers as a whole because as long as Hasbro are convinced there's money to be made from the franchise, then we'll keep getting toys, cartoons, etc.

17. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    No director is perfect, and regardless of who directs a film, there's bound to be negatives and positives.

Just that in human nature, the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. We always like to think that someone else would have done it better. We dismiss whatever positives a person did, and harp on the negatives.

But personally, all things considered, Bay did good for me. Sure, there are some minor things I didn't like, but on the whole, the positives outweigh the negatives.

18. Ash from Carolina

I can't remember who said it but I remember someone said the worst thing in the world for a film fan would be to find the perfect movie because every other the film for the rest of your life would just be disappointing.

So there aren't any perfect films out there, but that means there is always the excitement of maybe finding a film that is just a little bit better than something you've seen before.

I don't feel like we should ever hold Micheal Bay to the standard of perfection if it's something no one else has reached in the history of film making. I like your standard better of how much did he entertain me.