Bay : Good or Bad ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Meggamus, Sep 22, 2011.

?

Did you like Bay as the director?

1. Yes, I had no complaints

76 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. No, It didn't impress me

25 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. 50/50 -Did some things right, did some things wrong

27 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I just don't like Micheal Bay movies. It's not that he's the worst director in Hollywood and it's not that he doesn't put super human effort into making his films, but he just doesn't do the things l like about movies very well. I'm just weird in that given a choice I'll take a story that pulls me in and classic film villains over the best explosions or special effects any day of the week.

Really didn't enjoy The Rock or Bad Boys II. I've ever watched all of Armageddon and there should be a law that every time Micheal Bay speaks in public the first thing he has to do each time is apologize for Pearl Harbor.

If the films have been titled anything other than Transformers I honestly wouldn't have watched them. Even with the title Transformers it still felt like more of chore I had to as fan to watch them instead of something I was excited about doing.

2. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

I Apologize

Sorry I didn't do more options on the poll , an in-between option didn't occur to me . Is there a way I can change it cos I don't think I can :eek: 

3. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted yes, but I do have some issues with the movies. Like not giving more characters character. IMO Bay did good overall.

4. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm siding with GOOD. He revitalized the franchise, turned it from some kids' show into a series that has the same people who gave us Lost and Fringe writing for it for both the movies and the newest show, and ensconced Transformers as a legitimate, "srs bzns" franchise with Dark of the Moon's success. Back before the first movie came out, having an Autobot emblem on your car was a huge sign of nerd-dom. Now, it's about ten times as acceptable as trukk nutzz and at the same level or slightly higher than your run-of-the-mill bumper sticker. While it *may* have happened with another director, we got Bay, and honestly, for all the complaints, the style that he imparted is how Transformers needed to be done. The realism, the (surprisingly restrained) explosions; it legitimately felt like giant robots fighting, with earth as a battlefield, and with the proper response from civilians and the military and the like.

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That man can sure direct an action movie!

6. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ask the mods to change it in here: TFW2005 Tech Support - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Anyways, Bay falls into the middle. He did some good things like the down and dirty action scenes and succeeding in getting me into the franchise. Saying that, he's also done some bad things like the hit and miss humour and the objectifying of women with some of his camera angles and direction. So, he's hit and miss for me.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Eh. When it comes down to it, I only really like the action, but even that can be messy and all three movies have an anti-climatic final battle. For the rest, he's IMO just a really shitty director with an idiotic sense of humor who doesn't know how to tell a remotely convincing story to save his life.

Still, he showed that it's a profitable franchise and gave it a massive boost, which I have to give him credit for. I hope that whoever comes next (Zack Snyder, maybe?) can take it to the next level.

But it could have been a lot worse. We could have gotten Stephen Sommers or Paul WS Anderson. I don't even want to imagine what kind of disaster that would have been. Bay's TF movies had some really boring moments due to some really bad pacing issues, but it's nowhere near as bad as their POS films.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I was thinking about this lastnight and I sort of agree about Nolan not being the ideal director for a Transformers movie. I enjoy Nolan's work, but he's into darker and more complex films. I'm also not sure that he'd legitimately want to direct a Transformers movie anyway, considering the source material may not be of interest to him and that he (like Bay did initially) would dismiss it as nothing more than a glorified toy commercial. I'm basing this on his body of work and the thematic similarities in his films.

A director that I wouldn't mind is Jon Favreau. Seeing how he handled Ironman, and the fact that he's a bit of an enthusiastic geek himself, would make me confident that he could direct a Transformers movie.

There's also Steven Spielberg Jr. (bonus points if you can guess who I'm referencing).

In one of the behind-the-scenes features of AVP, Anderson basically admitted that the AVP we saw was based off of the script's rough draft that was (and I'm paraphrasing) "so good the first time, that it didn't need to be revised." He seemed very proud of himself for some reason.

In other words, NO, Anderson shouldn't direct a TF movie. If people think Bay is bad, then Anderson is probably worse. I'm talking a Uwe Boll, Andrzej Bartkowiak, Strause Brothers*, and Roland Emmerich kind of worse.

*Note: I debated putting the Strause Brothers on this list since I found AVP: Requiem to be pretty decent, all things considered.

9. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    He's pretty cool...I love what he did the verse...and stuff...I just like him.(He is so cool he got his own thingy:bay  see!)

10. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

You seem to enjoy talking about these movies you dislike though, most of your posts over the 4 years you've been here are about the movies. Interesting.

11. Meggamus

done this thanks for that help :thumb 
    should be fixed soon

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I find the fan war to be far more amusing than the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons. So blame your fellow fans for endlessly amusing me with crazy things like Revenge of the Fallen was the greatest movie of all time or Micheal Bay ruined my childhood.

Chaos, madness, the venom people have for other fans, directors, film critics, or people who just generally don't share their vision, it's just one of the most entertaining places on the internet.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

To my mind, Favreau is one of the very small handful of candidates who could potentially do a job I would be happy with.

Shot in the dark... JJ Abrams?

If so, I suspect the final result wouldn't be too far removed from that of Bay himself. Only with more lens flare obviously. :p 

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I don't know. I think Abrams would be capable of getting certain things right that Bay didn't.

15. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    i like M.bay he gave me 1 of a kin transformers dark of the moon poster! and he sighned it! just for me!

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Six of one and half a dozen of the other. I think Bay is one of those sliding scale directors that swings madly between good and bad throughout the course of any film he's helming. In the end it all depends on which end of the scale he spent most of the film in as to if I liked his final efforts or not.

17. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    there should be another poll option: I liked him but, I did have a few complaints

18. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    We need an option for "he's a good action director". I had plenty of complaints about the movie, but I still enjoyed them for what they are: action sci fi.

19. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    he was okay my:2c: 

20. Meggamus

ye ive asked the tech support to add a new option so all will be good soon