Bay gets honored in japan

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Deefuzz, Jun 12, 2009.

1. WarMachine73

WarMachine73 Well-Known Member

You guys with your counter-arguments and your dissing on Bay recieving this award are real piecse of work. Were you guys even paying attention. The Father of all Transformers is responsible for this award!!! The man most responsible for the hobby you love and yet some of you still crap on this mans shoes!
    Bay deserves this award 100%. In fact, I think he should have gotten it sooner.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

The trophy is spectacular, can't say anything like that about michael bay though ....

3. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:

Cool man, take some xanax

I only shit on Bay because he's an easy target and the man himself knows it!

4. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

So what did Peter Cullen do? Wow, he voiced Optimus. Big whoop. Not trying to be disrespectful, but why give it to a voice actor?

5. Darthbane2007

Then whoever else directed transformers gets the trophy. No shit.

6. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the people who actually deserve the trophy are the people who have kept the brand alive all these years.

All Bay did was DIRECT a shallow movie that was based more on pushing 2 "hot young" actors, advertising for the military, and selling GM's shitty cars. The first movie had very little to do with the robots or the Transformers name itself. The first hour of Animated told more story and gave more character to the TF's AND humans than all of the 2 hour plus or TF1 did.

The film had none of the charm or character that ANY previous incarnation had (Even the A/E/C trilogy), and had about as much of a story as an empty paper bag. Even Beast Machines tops it in "having an actual story you could care about" dept.

All Bay did was attach his name to a project (one he didn't want to begin with, mind you) that was pretty much a given money maker due to to nostalgia and the fact the kids can't resist giant fighting robots. What little they saw and heard from them anyway.

The people who deserve the award are the folks at Hasbro for finally making a live action flick, and to all the designer and story crafters who have kept the brand name alive these past 25 years. Shit, even Spielberg deserves the trophy more than Bay.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro people don't give a crap about this prize, they already got all they wanted.

[​IMG]

8. Nelson

Nelson Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though somehow you miss this was Koujin Ohno's decision to do so. Maybe if you'd said Ohno was senile you'd appear to be less of hater.

9. Darthbane2007

So i guess the almost Billions of dollars TF1 bought to the franchise and helped revive it for today's generation with a whole new set of toys, comics, and the recent animated cartoon means nothing, right?

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My post is not just me being anti-Bay, I'd say the same of any other director with the same amount of input (i.e. simply directing the story others wrote, having little to do with any design work other than saying "yes that's cool", etc) were they to get some overinflated credit as well. People are acting like he's the only person that's ever done a thing for Transformers and it's an absolutely insane exaggeration.

So I guess one guy deserves credit for all that, right?

The whole "revival" is bullshit. Transformers was here. Comics, cartoons, toys, all of it. Animated was in the works before the movie even came out. The franchise was fine. The fact that it *was* fine helped it get a movie in the first place. Sure, ok, Transformers wasn't in the face of everyone, not being a huge mainstream movie just kind of goes with that, but that does not mean it was some forgotten failure.

Did you hear all about Batman Batman Batman before the recent Christopher Nolan films? Not so much. Does that mean Batman was dead and gone? Absolutely not.

And even if you just HAVE to call it a revival, again, Bay isn't the only guy responsible by any means.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  11. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sadly, many Transformers fans have never heard of Peter Cullen, because the toon was dubbed into their native language.

You need more liniment for that soreness you're feeling.

Don't worry. Japan will get duly punished for this travesty once North Korea get their nuke and bomb the islands.

By that logic, you should be blaming Spielberg for awarding the director job to Michael Bay.

Here's the thing though: as unfair as it is, it's the way Hollywood has operated for decades. The directors and producers get all the credit (e.g., "A Michael Bay Movie", "A Merchant Ivory Production"). Writers? Fah!

Admittedly it's not fair, but the business system in Hollywood really does leave scriptwriters as a group largely in weaker bargaining positions than directors.

*Shrugs* Yep. A movie director is similar to being the chief executive officer of a large company, especially if the movie's a big production like Transformers. The director clearly isn't doing all the tasks needed to run the movie, but he gets the credit or blame for the production. Same as a CEO running a business.

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'll bet that trophy will end up in Ultraconvoy's collection in a year or two. :D 

13. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Congrates to Michael Bay he deserves that trophy he and his team have worked hard to bring the TF's to life on the big screen

14. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

Why do all movie topics end up in some kind of troll competition?

I mean, if you don't like it, fine. But come on, some of you people are worst than politicians. You just absolutely can't take some distance with things and try to stay a little bit objective.

It's like complaining the bots don't have enough screen time in the first movie. I mean, look at how much such a movie cost. Without the army and GM sponsoring the whole project it probably wouldn't even have been possible.

Cool down guys. As for Cullen, I never watched transformers in english when I was a kid and I never even heard his voice. Like, 90% of people on earth I guess.

So yeah, if Bay get an award, I think he deserves it, and for many reasons.

15. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

This.

To add to it, it's not like Bay went to Hasbro and said "Guys, you have to make a TF live action movie. No one cares about Transformers anymore and it needs a revival! Here's my ideas.....!" Hell, he didn't even want to do this flick to begin with.

Transformers was still on store shelves, and kids were buying them.

Like I said, if anything Speilberg deserves this more than Bay. The folks at Hasbro who have kept the franchise alive deserve this more. The folks behind and in front of BW/BM/RID/A/E/C as well as the Japanese lines deserve this more. Giving it to Bay and acting like he's the savior of the TF franchise is a joke.

This whole thing reminds me of the South Park fish sticks episode with Jimmy and Cartman.

16. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That still doesn't change the fact that he was given the award as a sign of appreciation for his work, by someone who did have a direct hand in the creation of the Transformer toys.

I would think that Koujin Ohno would have more weight in his assessment of who to give this award to. Hasbro/Takara certainly would have greenlighted this. Does this mean Ohno's raping someone's childhood too?

Regarding the Batman comparison...Christopher Nolan's films are a reboot to the film franchise after Joel Schumacher's run. Before Michael Bay took the gig, Transformers had not been on the big screen since the animated movie - which bombed.

17. Darthbane2007

For that matter every single person who had a hand in creating ROTF should get an award. That' several hundreds of people...

18. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits: