Battle mask or no battle mask?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JoshimusPrime93, Jul 21, 2019.

1. JoshimusPrime93

JoshimusPrime93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Battle mask or no battle mask? That's a question that I keep asking myself recently. In my opinion, Optimus look a lot better with the mask on. What are your guys opinions? Do you like Prime with or without the battle mask?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Magmatron95

Magmatron95 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Either or is fine with me

• Like Like x 4
  3. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I don't mind the mouth as long as he has a battle mask on at some point. Though, Bumblebee has proven that Prime doesn't need his mouth to emote so that reason is out the window. At this point, I don't see why the mouth is necessary.

On an unrelated note, I'm still bothered by that triple chin on Prime in the first image.

• Like Like x 4
  4. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the mouth, keep the mouth, for when he needs to speak with humans. It makes him more open, the faceplate when talking gives the impression he's hiding something and humans can't read his intentions. Plus Orion Pax had a mouth. Which I do believe is where Michael Bay's version of Optimus got his mouth. Rewatching G1, I always assumed he had Orion Pax's mouth under his faceplate. So keep the mouth going forward I love it in Transformers Cybertron, War Dawn (G1), Animated(2008), Transformers 1-5, Comics TF: Prime/Robots In Disguise, and Cyberverse.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

I wouldn't mind the maskless look so much if he had, like, a 'stache or goatee underneath it.

The ^$$hole side of me would probably pull a Vader and keep his mask over his face 24/7, and say the reason why is that after Megatron beat the crap out of of him for the first time Ratchet had to put him back together as best he could, hence the "mask" is actually there to enhance what's left of his voice to sound like Peter Cullen (actually not all that much unlike "War Dawn", come to think of it).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

I'd prefer that he just use the battlemask when he's in an actual fight and leave it off the rest of the time. In fact, I'd want that idea to be standard-issue among military bots.

On the other hand, if I indulge my contrarian streak, he'd never wear the mask.

• Like Like x 4
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I don't like his pre-AOE face at all. He looks great with the mask, but without it his face looks disproportionate. His nose seems too tall, and his mouth sits where his chin should be. I've always found it really offputting.

I like his AOE/TLK face a lot more. The proportions are a lot better, I find it much easier on the eyes. Although I like his first trilogy mask more.

Personally, I don't get why he needs a mouth. I don't feel like it really adds anything to the character. Especially since movie Prime is often considered one of the more cold and distant incarnations of Optimus. Although I prefer Transformers without human-style mouths in-general. If I had my way, all movieverse Transformers would have some sort of faceplate, speaker, or some kind of alien-looking speech contraption like Shatter or Dropkick. I just don't feel like human lips work visually for live-action robots.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Battle mask. Fits him a lot better.

• Like Like x 5
  9. streak2

streak2 Well-Known Member

With the mask, I don't mind him having a face but design-wise I think he looks better with it than without it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    It seems like Optimus prefers the face plate.

orionpaxfaceplate.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  11. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    It wasn’t necessary in the Bumblebee movie, but it will definitely be necessary if OP is on Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Uh, why is that?

• Like Like x 2
  13. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    Maybe because when he’s speaking with humans it won’t look like he’s in battle 24/7? It makes him more open, when talking with the mask it gives the impression he's hiding something and humans can't read his intentions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Bumblebee doesn’t have a mouth either but we easily seen his emotions and what have you. It was all in the eyes. You could easily tell Optimus was in panic during the Cybertron scene when Soundwave landed. If you couldn’t then you must be visually impaired. Simply because his eyes went wide and he genuinely looked worried. The eyes are big and you’re able to visually see what the robot is thinking or feeling. That’s the whole point. This was explained in behind the scenes of BB. The “humans can’t read his intentions.” isn’t factually true at all, not even in the slightest. You can still make Optimus have emotion with or without the battlemask. Also you can tell when a character is sad, angry or calm just by the tone of their voice.:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 4
  15. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, that's quite the silliest reason anyone could come up with. Everyone in these films must have been terrified of Bee with your logic since you know, he doesn't have a mouth.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Lmao!! Not to mention this Optimus Prime design is based on the G1 cartoon one. It was never referred to as a battlemask back then because it wasn’t used just for battle. It was just part of his body. The correct term would be faceplate. Which Soundwave also has. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    Both

• Like Like x 1
  18. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I prefer that the "battle mask" is his actual face.

19. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never had a problem with the battle mask. I always thought it was cool. Same goes for no mask.
    upload_2019-7-21_15-48-24.gif

• Like Like x 4
  20. ShockwaveCannon

ShockwaveCannon Banned

Ebay:
    Bee didn’t even talk in the movie and when he did (at the start with John cena), he wasn’t wearing his mask. Also, Bee has a Baby face, way friendlier than Primes which is a big reason people aren’t “terrified” of him

I’m not talking about the emotions they’re feeling lmao, I’m talking about when they are actually talking human to human, not in battle like the example you gave when on Cybertron. When he’s speaking with the faceplate it seems as though he’s in battle, that’s how I view it. It distinguishes whether or not he’s in battle or not, which is why Bay DECIDED to not have Prime have a mask on the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 4