Batteries in MISB figures...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jerryitus, Aug 5, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    from looking at the instructions, you can find where to remove the batteries on each bot. There isn't really a tutorial per say, you just need the right screw driver and look around your robot for the battery holder.

My powerglide isn't here yet, and I have no interest in Silverbolt, but Onslaught's, iirc (since I am at work) is near the side of his torso? Usually battery holders all are shaped the same (Lith. and AAA being the two common variant in Transformers, sometimes AA in older ones, too), its usually held together by 1-3 small phillips head screw. Just unscrew it, remove the battery and reinstall the plate.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Yea, I have precision screw drivers. I have a vague idea of where some of the battery compartments, but there are just figures that I haven't messed around with too much. I might film a tuorial if I can get around to it tonight. I just have a feeling that some battery compartments aren't as accessible as others.

3. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

The screws in those Ultra Class figures are big enough where you don't really even need specialty screwdrivers from what I remember.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Most of the battery compartments are very visible without transforming or altering the transformer very much. The first place to look, especially if it is a AAA battery, is big places. Battery compartments and light/sound PC boards need places to fit, so they are not going to be hidden very well.

Second, if the engineering is good, the battery compartment should be easily accessable so you don't have to worry. The design is with the intention that the end-user needs to swap and change it, as oppose to some designs of other technical products where permanent sealing is done because end-users are not expected to need to open it.

Third, as a rule of thumb, the compartment will always be near where the light (LED) or the sound (soundbox) is. Because the longer the running wires around the figure, the more chance it has of breaking during the manufacturing process, and also hinders a bot's articulation.

Finally, a good place to start looking is the torso. it is almost always at the torso, or if it has a solid block of a backpack. If the weapon lights up and is not eternally connected to the bot, then that's ofcourse, some place to look, too.

5. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    On the underside, in two long compartments at the rear of the fuselage, either side of the torso.

Can't remember, got rid of mine.

Can't remember, got rid of mine.

In the grey box, in Prime's chest, behind where the matrix normally sits. You have to remove the grey box from the chest cavity, before removing the battery.

No idea.

In Grimlock's right shoulder.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay.

Prompted by this thread, I have been working my way through my MISB toys that have batteries, opening them and removing the batteries along with their MISB status. (I can put the batteries back in, but sadly, much like virginity, MISB status is gone for good.) My big moment came when I opened RiD Air Attack Optimus Primal after eight years of being MISB. A somewhat rare figure, I would often admire him in his box and congratulate myself on having the foresight to buy him when I saw him instead of waiting. He was impressive. He was pristine. He was untouched by human hands (at least from the Western Hemisphere).

But I opened him out of fear that his batteries might corrode and ruin him. Thankfully, they were fine. By the way, he's a pretty cool toy.

So I continued my grand de-MISB'ing of my electronic Transformers, until today, when I opened my Cybertron Menasor, carefully removed the twisty ties, gingerly unscrewed the battery compartment, to find... what? Corroded batteries? Perfectly healthy batteries? Leprechauns?

No, friends. I found... no batteries at all.

Is this nomal? I checked the box, and it says "batteries required," but it doesn't say "batteries not included." Did the Cybertron figures not come with batteries? Should I expect this to happen again?

7. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

some of them dont come with batteries like primus. it says 2 aa batteries and a small font saying not included. the only thing that had batteries was the planet key.

also i had a japanese rid optimus with batteries that leaked it wonderful juices. i cried, i cursed and tried cleaning as best i could. it still works but if u peak inside the connectors are pretty messed up. i'm thinking of yanking out all the batteries in my toys also.

8. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

ohhwww, glade I'm a MISB Killer in this case.

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I remove the batteries as soon as possible, I'm rather OC about this since during childhood when several of my toys' batteries leaked and damaged the electronics.

These days, I actually play with the toy before removing the batteries, then return it to box sans the batteries.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I think the batteries are a lot better these days and don't have the tendency to leak as they used to. I've left a few batteries in my Encore Omega for a few months now and seems to be perfectly fine.

11. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i think it might depend on brand. i bought those batteries michael jordon promoted a while back, the rayvacs or something and they leak like a mofo. duracell has been good to me.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Heh, I actually didn't see your post until now. I went ahead and removed the batteries not long after my last post. I was at work at the time. No problems removing the batteries, although Prime's was a little tricky. No leakage or corrosion on any of them thankfully.

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Anyone here experienced battery leaks with TFTM/ROTF Ultimate Bumblebee?

I want to get one MISB but afraid the batteries might already be leaking.

14. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I just picked up a lot of Rid & Armada figures that have been in storage for years. RiD Prime's batteries still work fine! I couldn't believe it. All the others (Armada Megs, Red Alert, Armada Prime etc) were drained so I removed the batteries immediately to avoid the battery chamber becoming stained with rust & having the connectors damaged. I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine about his Simpsons WOS playsets. He lives in NC but his collection is up here in NYC and he's worried the batteries inside have started to leak.
    I find it's AAA, AA etc. batteries that leak. I've never had and problems with the little kind.

15. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

"C" and "D" bateries seem to leak the most

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    the little kind is lith batteries. AA and AAA batteries are nickel based batteries. They have different properties. While Lith batteries tend to not have this problem, for safety and toy preservation I would still recommend removal.

Also, a battery won't do much leaking for a few month's storage. The problem comes when you storage them for a decade or two. So don't go with the logic that "well, its been here for a few months and its still good" =)

17. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

Ebay:
    I didn't mean to dig up such an old thread but I had a few questions, and thought they fit here...

1. Have any of you had the batteries in a 20th Hasbro Masterpiece (Battle-Damaged) Optimus leak?

2. If yes to # 1, did they leak out of the matrix box into the figure's chest (is that even possible)?

One of my favorite pieces is my MISB 20th Prime it's the only TF I've kept thru the years and not traded or purchased again, but my OCD flares up every time I think of opening it.

3. Do any of you MISB collectors feel like when it comes to battery leakage "out of sight out of mind"

18. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if any Beast Wars figs take batteries? I have the show cast all misb but I'm not sure about Tigerhawk, TM2 Megs or the big Optimal Optimus. I would hate to damage my misb Buster Prime too.

19. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have all of those and the only ones I can think of that has the batteries is the Optimal Optimus, it's in his dual guns that go around his head, you pull it back and it lights up or something, I don't remember since mine corroded and ruined it years ago.. the rest of my figure is absolutely perfect though.. lol

If you have them MISB then it will say on the front, I believe, if it has batteries, there is actually a picture in the Beast Wars thread of Optimal Optimus' box if you don't want to dig yours out.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Tony from Tempting Toys says he's had batteries in his toys for decades. They still work