Batman Unlimited - Animated Movie Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Popular with girls? That's what killed Young Justice.

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If that's true then why hasn't Friendship is Magic gone under yet?

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the difference is, mattel and cartoon network, care about who buys their stuff.

hasbro doesn't give a damn, and as long as they're profiting, they don't care. lol

i mean, wasn't the reason animaniacs was canned by WB, because it was popular with the wrong demographic? lol

4. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

It's aimed at girls. The CN execs wanted Young Justice aimed at boys and decided to cancel it because 'girls don't buy toys' a demonstrably false assumption.

Source is Paul Dini, by the way, not rumour or conjecture.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

They tried that with Young Justice. The toys sucked (the DCUC ones were pretty great, but WAY over-priced), the line tanked, and the show got canceled. Ditto for Thundercats.

The excuse that the show was canceled because girls watched it is bullshit. Read that link, and Dini says the show was cancelled despite the fact that the show had a large female fanbase, but these shows need toy sales to survive and the YJ line just didn't have them. Yes, girls buy toys, but they (and boys) weren't buying YJ.

6. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

The fact that the female characters were significantly under-represented in the toy lines wouldn't have had anything to do with it. I mean you ha Black canary 4" in wave 2 and she was just the team trainer, you couldn't get Miss Martian separately at all and Artemis was cancelled. No Zatanna, Batgirl, Rocket or Wonder Girl at all. In the 6" figures you had Artemis, and a Miss Martian which I don't think made it to stores. Even if you were lucky enugh to get YJ figures in your store you could only get the boys, basically.

Dinis conversation in the podcast was in the context of Young Justice being cancelled, he was referencing other shows which illustrated the trend. You can say it is bullshit but I'm going to believe what the creator of the show says.

7. FanimusMaximus

News Credits:
    So basically all shows that have products that don't sell are 100% fucked is what you're saying.

8. smkspy

Really, it's a knock on Miss Martian that you had to buy her in a two-pack with her mentor? You also forgot Cheshire. And yeah, all those season two figures were never made cause the line got cancelled from poor sales.

But it didn't matter, the 4" inch line was terrible. Male or female characters, it didn't matter cause they didn't sell. Likewise, the six inch line was entirely overpriced though the one figure that stuck around more than anyone was Artemis. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Here we go again, you can't actually back up your argument, so you're just going to resort to calling me some rabid fanboy.

For shows that are created solely to sell children merchandise, yes.

G.I. Joe Renegades is another. I think the show runner left for some reason, but that line tanked and it just so happened the show ended after season 1.

9. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Yeah, fair enough I apologise I'll edit the post.

Also yes, the figures were overpriced. Toy sales were a problem but Dini is also linking it to their notion that girls don't buy toys. Listen to the podcast, the context is clear he starts talking about this issue because of what happened with Young Justice. Toy sales were low, girls were to blame, show cancelled, replaced with a more boy-dominated show, that is the trend he is talking about.

10. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ugh, new Batman cartoon? No thanks.

11. FanimusMaximus

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

12. smkspy

Oh I've read the entire interview...numerous times. I just don't think that what he's saying. I dissected the interview in the Beware the Batman thread, so I'm not going to go into it again. Not saying that there isn't a trend or girls aren't ever blamed, but I just don't see girls being the blame for this particular instance. To take your sentence and modify it a bit; Toys sales were low, the line gets canceled before season 2 even premieres, network sees that show has an unknown sizable (and growing) female fanbase, show cancelled despite this growing fanbase, replaced with silly Teen Titans Go.

13. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    That would be pretty much the nail on the head.

Two points to add:
    1. Paul Dini did not work on Young Justice, so anything he said about it is either hearsay or extrapolation from his own experience on Tower Prep. Not saying that he's definitely wrong, but he was not directly involved in YJ at all.

2. Greg Weisman was one of the YJ show runners, and he has already explained here and here.

Actually, the Renegades toy line wasn't even released until months after the last episode aired. I don't recall the show runners (or the story editors Henry Gilroy and Marty Isenberg) leaving, but the lead character designer died of cancer. And supposedly Hasbro wanted to orient GI Joe going forward toward the then-upcoming second movie. Which turned out not to work out at all.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Nothing Hasbro does with GI Joe works at all. Hell, Renegades never got a line. Not really. Yeah, some figures had Renegades card art, but there were never any action figures released that resembled the style of the show's art direction.

In retrospect, I'm okay with that, because I found the show a little underwhelming and thought it fell way short of its potential. Sometimes it felt a little better than it actually was, just for not being Sigma 6 or Extreme.

The Pursuit of Cobra and 30th Anniversary lines were the best things to happen to GI Joe in decades. Maybe since the late 1980s. And the fact that Hasbro couldn't even succeed with the best Joe figures combined with most generous assortment of accessories ever produced is depressing beyond words.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because it sucked.

16. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Beware does not Suck. It Just got Good what with Deathstroke in it.

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Lol no it didn't.

18. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

19. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Well That's fine then.