Batman: The Animated Series Rises (Marathon on the Hub this Friday)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Stardust262, Jul 17, 2012.

1. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    honestly no I don't watch the different series and quite frankly can't keep track of them and had no idea there was actuslly one called the animated series so EXCUUUUUUUUSE me

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Must be a young'un.

Still, we are talking about pretty much the most consistently well-received and lauded rendition of Batman in history, with a massive fanbase, that spawned a cartoon continuity roughly 15 years long (and through re-runs, having withstood the test of time for 20), the existence of which actually caused the comics to in many ways bend to this portrayal of Batman and many of his supporting cast, so your complete ignorance of its existence does come off as somewhat... surprising, I guess, is the word?

3. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

According to the guide on my TV:
    Nothing to Fear
    Be a Clown
    Two-Face pt1
    Two-Face pt2
    The Demon's Quest pt1
    The Demon's Quest pt2
    Cat Scratch Fever
    Bane
    Cult of the Cat
    Legends of the Dark Knight

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if it was my husband yes surprising as he watches everything Batman but me, I'm more of a Marvel girl (yes we have little DC vs. Marvel battles in the house) but me I don't follow DC cartoons with the exception of Justice League (I like the Flash). So if I've never followed the fandom before to me it wouldn't be that surprising. I know who Batman is and the other charcters etc. (I used to read the comics and still have the one where the Joker kills Robin and where Bane broke Batman's back) but I don't know his cartoon series.
    Just like if no one has ever seen transformers or followed transformers I wouldn't expect them to know who Optimus Prime is.

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is Vader tier, along side Batman.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    BTAS is widely regarded the best animated series of all time. It introduced Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as Joker. To not know of this show is truly surprising.

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    then I guess I'm surprising

8. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry I couldn't help it.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nobody's holding it against you, it's just, well, surprising. I mean yeah, I always knew there was a possibility that someone could not know of the show, but that's like not knowing of the Tim Burton Batman films. Actually no, because as people have said BTAS and the DCAU have lasted for so long. It's just so uncommon it's, well, surprising.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wish I had the chance to watch Batman the Animated series. I missed out on that series when it came out and well pretty much all of DCAU.

11. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I...find this amusing in a personal way. The quintessential Batman being used to promote a Batman that doesn't get what it means to be Batman(IMO that is). It's juxtaposition for me.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Speaking of Catwoman having some of the dumbest episodes of the show's run... they go and choose the exact ones that I'm thinking of.

Well, okay, Cat Scratch Fever has some redeeming elements in the treatment of Catwoman herself. But the actual episode's story, with Roland Daggett's plot and all that was pretty dumb. And Cult of the Cat was just plain stupid all around. Should've picked her other TNBA appearance, where she teams up with Nightwing. That episode really showcases what Catwoman's all about.

Otherwise, not a bad selection of episodes. "Be a Clown" wouldn't exactly be my first pick for a Joker episode (there's actually some legitimately unsettling elements to it), but it's not a bad one, either. Least it's not "The Last Laugh"...

13. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    You know I'm pretty sure you could find the entire DCAU on YouTube. It's a must watch

That was a wicked cool promo and it seems they put some thought in the episodes they're airing as they all contain villians from the Nolan films

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was clearly the point. Although again, not exactly the best Catwoman episodes. And "Nothing to Fear" isn't exactly the greatest Scarecrow episode, either, featuring the weak bag-headed Scarecrow design seen only in this episode, and not a particularly inspired plot. But it did give us this Batman's iconic "I am the Night!" speech.

I personally feel that TNBA's similarly-titled "Never Fear" is the strongest of Scarecrow's highlight episodes, which really gives us a great look into Batman's psyche, and also giving us one of Scarecrow's most horrifying looks to date. It's an incredibly dark episode. But the fact that it inverts Scarecrow's usual gimmick kinda rules it out as an "introductory" episode for the character.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Are you kidding? Chris Nolan's Batman gets what it means to be Batman, more than most. (Literally more than 80% of the comics featuring Batman *coughAllstarBatman&Robincough*) It just exists in it's own, more grounded universe.

Yes. I loved that episode. Scarecrow's design in that was great, and I like that it realy showed just how much fear shapes Batman's actions. Without fear or guilt he's really dangerous.

16. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

I love the "You're not trying to scare me are you?" line when he's about to kill Scarecrow.

17. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Holy shit someone who gets it!

That's what I've been saying for a looong time.

But it's not zany, comic-booky, kid friendly, fun enought like the Marvel's movies and the designs of the suit and the the Batmobile don't look EXACTLY like the comics and people start bitching how it's "not true to the comics" and "it's not Batman fuck your shitty relalism Nolan you hack" while it's more true to Batman than most comics!

18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes! The style and look is different, as it's meant to be a real-world representation (which Batman has seldom had) but it gets what Batman is.

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Batman doesn't kill? Or is that just in Nolan's universe

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    In that episode Batman had his fear removed by Scarecrow, and so abandoned his code of no killing until Robin gave him the antidote.