Batman & Robin

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by LightningZERO, May 30, 2009.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i was worried about this issue, and still am after only one issue cuz its not enough to give a real feel for the book...but its fun...so far...i like the campyness so far, but if it last 12-24 issues i can see if wearing real thin...and i've really hated everything morrison has done to batman over the past couple years...its all been just okay, nothing stand out amazing...and don't even get me started on final crisis...

i'll probably finish this first arc, then make a decision...i'm sure if it ends up sucking i can sell the issues as a set back to my comic store...someone will be desperately looking for it.

pyg might be okay as a villain, but we'll see...i wanna know what happened with all the big crazy war that was going on between penguin and two face...did that get resolved in BFTC? cuz i don't remember that happening at all...oh well...lets see what morrison does until someone good comes to write batman...maybe we can get geoff johns to do a batman rebirth soon...

2. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    The gang war between Two Face and Penguin will be resolved in Batman's solo title

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    Once the trade hits I MIGHT give it a read. However it just seems to me they are trying to rehash the aftermath of Knightfall again.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Pyg seems to be a variation of Black Mask. That was black mask's original calling card which seemed to later go away, killing people by putting an acid filled mask on their face, both killing and disfiguring them. I wish they would trade paperback more of the early 80's to 90's Batman Run, there were some good stories there. I suppose they don't want to confuse people since most of those stories had the pre-crisis Jason Todd whose origin was more or less a clone of Dick's. But during that era they introduced Black Mask, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and a lot of famous Batman villans. I think poison Ivy was still when Dick was Robin, but I was in grammar school, so I couldn't afford many issues.

5. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had quite low expectations for this, but picked it up anyway and i'm glad i did. Only thing that let the issue down was some of the art was a little rough, but other than that looking forward to issue 2.

6. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Loved it! Very surprised. Everyone at my store dug it too, even people who hadn't been reading Batman or Morrison's stuff. I love Frank Quitely and am glad he's getting to draw something like this...the end was pretty creepy.

-paul

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Poison Ivy was introduced in the mid 60s IIRC.

8. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

:) 

I only buy trades,so I'll be waiting for this one with baited breath.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    That's right it was Black Mask, Killer Croc, the war of the two mad hatters, and the third clayface that happened during the period I mentioned.

10. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

No. It is a terrible idea. The 60's show largely existed in that form because comics were not in public favor and the comic industry was stumbling. The show was goofy and campy so that it wouldn't offend anyone.

The industry has grown past that and to make a concerted effort to go back to that sort of mentality only hurts the industry and believability of the character IMO.

That said, I picked up the first issue and it wasn't bad. I still think that Damien is a terrible character, but otherwise the story was ok. Pyg is very much a rip off of Black Mask, but it would make sense if they somehow connect the characters. All told, I will finish this arc and see where it goes from there.