'Batman' killed Heath Ledger?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jeremy.B, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
  2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Nah, he was stressed out then before it according to some of his friends. He sadly went down a self destructive path and I don't think his death was accidental.

3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Before entering this thread I just knew this has to be the work of FOX News. :lol 

Oh well, I will still miss Mr. Ledger. No matter how he may have actually met his demise.:( 

"LET'S PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!"

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    This isn't the first time I'd heard that his portrayal of the Joker might have negatively affected his mental health. It wouldn't surprise me all that much.

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

They said it was an accidental overdose. I think he was on like 6 medications, some of them being anxiety ones. The role could've done something to him. I just want to know why the doctor prescribed 6+ anxiety/sleep aids for one person.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Oh Fox News...one of these days maybe you'll become a news outlet.

7. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    And in the volumes, and combinations, he took those pills in there was nothing "accidental" about it.

8. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Oh, I think I'm understanding where you're coming from. I don't think it was a suicide - I just think the guy was stressed or getting more and more mentally ill that he was bumping up his amounts until his body just couldn't handle it.

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,,2253591,00.html

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I've actually heard this one before, and this is how I responded to it the first time.

Bullshit. I don't believe for a single second that anyone can get so into a character that they actually forget who they are and have trouble dealing with their day to day lives. Any time an actor is actually being that character they are surrounded by a room full of people a bunch of fake looking scenery and they are constantly being told what to do. Doesn't seem to me like someone could really confuse that and who they actually are away from their jobs unless they were seriously unbalanced to begin with.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Whether playing the Joker caused Heath to have emotional trouble will never be known to us. He's said in interviews that Joker is the most fun he's ever had in a role. He also did some rather disturbing "research" to get into character, including keeping a diary of things he (in character as the Joker) thinks are funny. He revealed that AIDS is in this list.

But Dark Knight finished filming months ago, probably as early as last September. It's been in post-production for several months now. He was in the middle (and nearly finished) making a different movie, and if he had incurred any mental damage from playing Joker, this would have been months ago. We'll never know what playing Joker did to this guy's mentality, but he hasn't been anywhere near the Joker since (I'd guess) September.

11. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [cough]http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=163786[/cough]

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mass Effect killed Heath Ledger.

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Yes... a mass effect of drugs.

14. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Fail. That threade was about his death when it first occured; this is an entirely different threade based on an article that was published yesterday stating some concerns people had about his last complete role. [cough] Good try though [cough] ;) 

I don't know. I would assume most would be strong enough [mentally] to avoid letting a character come over you. I don't think he went crazy playing the joker, but if he was already stressing out and he researched some gruesome/disturbing material to get into character, that could have possibly contributed to a pre-existing condition. I have no clue, just thought the article was interesting.

I also think that anyone who says it Definitely did not affect him is naive. I don't know if it did, I don't know if it didn't. But neither do you. None of us on here are hollywood superstars, we don't know what that role of life is like; I think the majority of people could deal with the pressure, but add to that an "interesting" role, personal troubles dealing with GF and kid, and other issues he had, and we have no clue what happened to this poor kid.

On a final note, FOX news is no less of a media outlet than CNN or MSNBC; it all depends on your POV :thumb 

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

No, they are certainly no less of a media outlet. Problem is they are much less of a news outlet. No news outlet is without slant or sensationalism, but Fox is notoriously bad about it.

...and this story smacks of the same stench as all of the "videogames make kids kill people" stories. Even people as far removed from reality as many celebrities tend to be know the difference between movies/comics/games and their real life.

16. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Right. But if this guy was on all these medications before, and was put on new ones after the role, it could have seriously f'd him up.

And Fox is still no less of a news outlet than CNN...at least, IMO. if you are liberal, then you are more inclined to CNN than Fox; vice versa for conservatives. But not the point of this threade.

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The medications could have, in those doses, considering that's what killed him. Mood disorders and stress are likely contributing factors, obviously. I won't say "causes" because nothing causes someone to do anything. We have free will. Heath Ledger killed Heath Ledger; not his job, not a disorder, and especially not a fictional character. However, it would be the pressure of filming the movie, not the character of the Joker that more likely had any effect. If he was already headed down that path, which is pretty much established, then it would've happened no matter who he was playing.
    If we were allowed to talk politics here, I might answer that in more detail, but suffice to say I disagree. Like I said, other sources aren't without their own biases and sensationalist whoremongering and borderline yellow journalism, but Fox just tends to be a lot worse. I seriously doubt, for a relevant example, that anyone's skeptical view of this story has anything at all to do with politics. Fox's entertainment programming relies on having more shock value than other networks, and so does their news.

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    stay on-topic guys.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

They already have is apartment back on the market (25g a month I think)

A real estate broker said "You don't wait around in a hot rental market like this. As ghoulish as it sounds, people will rent that place in a heartbeat"

Seems like a poor choice of words.

20. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Kind of my point, but I also think there is a big difference between playing a sick, disturbing, twisted character that is known by everyone, and playing a medievel knight, for instance. I agree with you in that it was medications, and probably an addictive personality, that led to his role. My thoughts, after reading the article and all that is written, is that he was probably already having some issues, and that maybe the intensity of the role/character added to that. They reported that he could not sleep after playing the joker during filming, and that we went on even more medications to help himself.

I disagree, but that discussion is for another place/time

Wow, that is odd. Not sure I would want to pay 25K/month for any apartment, much less one where some guy just died...