Bank of America says Hasbro could fall 34% due to company ruining ‘Magic: The Gathering’ card game

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Fafnir72, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    We are seeing that now, but not because nobody wants them, because nobody can afford them. And thats with everything. Inflation is real, but companies are using it as an excuse to jack up prices beyond neccessary and employer wages are staying the same. So nobody has the money to buy as much things as over 60% of the US at least is now living paycheck to paycheck.

One of the best videos ever. Guy gets a Goldfish to make better financial decisions that Reddit users.

• Like Like x 2
  2. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Nah, I'm more inclined to believe peeps are more selective in what they purchase rather than statements at extreme ends of the spectrum.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    At least with Eternia you get something substantial

4. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    But it's accurate here. Magic fans have been going back and forth over that article for weeks now, in the end it's just one guy's opinion and prediction and it doesn't mean anything.

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They do make an awful lot of dumpster filler though.

6. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    Big things are expensive. I took no offence that I chose not to afford the new play set despite having very fond memories of the original. It’s strange to hear that others did.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    That is a purely subjective opinion.

8. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    :cry 

9. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    That could be sold in another way and i don't want to open a can of worm now, but offence or not, the facts are these. Celebration object at alienating fanbase price, like the magic card boxset.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm guessing many here either don't collect or play the game.

Wizards of the Coast used to release base sets and expansions at a relatively relaxed pace. You could expect two to three a year, sometimes more sometimes less. The cards were generally aimed at everyone, with rare, uncommon and common.
    Foils were introduced about 20+ years ago with the Urza's Saga sets. One per pack.. it was fun to collect them, but they were more like oddities than super "in demand".
    Then they amped up releases and started pumping sets out non stop. I believe this was after the Hasbro buyout.
    We started getting mythic rares, rares, rare uncommons, uncommon and common.
    Then they added varying degrees of foil rarety, with regular foils and "etched foils" (slightly textured).
    Then borderless art, alternate art and regular art, all in the different foils and with different rarety.
    Then they added Secret Lair releases, which also come in varying foil types, art variants and at higher prices and rareties.
    Let's not forget the sets that cost more due to added rares or re-releases of great cards. Double Masters draft boxes were $100 per booster pack. Now they have releases of one pack of foils for $25 for every set.
    The cards are still viable for players, but the aim seems to have shifted to the pop culture side of collecting. By re-releasing reserved cards, even if they aren't tournament legal, they're distilling the value of the historic "Power Nine". Yeah, the originals (mainly Alpha and Beta versions) still pull stupid dollar values, but releasing them is almost like breaking a promise. They were reserved for a reason, and now they're made available again for a grand and a 1/100 chance of getting one.
    It isn't a matter of people owning originals being elitist or greedy. It's that the cards were historic in a way. It was something special.

I don't play Magic anymore, but I do buy cards here and there for fun. Well, I used to. It isn't fun now. It feels like a cash grab, and I know others feel this way as well. Hate to say it, but Hasbro really did the game dirty.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Neko-bot77

News Credits:
    Huh...

Remember a little while ago when those venture capitalists wanted to spin off WOTC from Hasbro? Sure it was their plan to watch Hasbro stock get stupidly high then sell their shares before they fell, but now it's seeming like it would have been a good idea... Either the separate WOTC would have run things better, or faced this dumpster fire without dragging Hasbro down with it.

12. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Pretty sure those Vultures in particular had an eye on spinning off MTG majorly into NFT territories, which IMHO would have been even worse for collectors & players, abd an even worse idea overall.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Neko-bot77

News Credits:
    That part i missed... :puke: 

I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard of NFTs becoming a thing again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I mean it wasn't explicit but at the time of the articles reporting it what other contemporaneous "new/wider opportunities for development" would require you to dissociate/spin off MTG from Hasbro for?
    The only thing I could think of was Crypto developments that Hasbro would not want to have to cover/be on the hook for any of the potentials liabilities of, but someone deeper in the game (whether card or financial) might have a better theory.

• Like Like x 2
  15. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I may be going straight up insane, but literally nothing in his list of "bad things that are killing Magic" sounds like bad things to me outside of the absurd anniversary price booster pack, which is bizarre that he is upset they're expensive considering he also complains at the same time about availability of these old rare cards would "hurt collector's values!!"

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed description. It’s not a subject that I’m at all familiar with. I suppose I’m still confused as to how any reissued cards would affect the value of the originals. I have no concerns that a reissue G1 Prime would affect the value of my original. Nor does the reissue make my original any less special. How does this differ for Magic cards?

• Like Like x 3
  17. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    It's flatly insane/hilarious that this analysis was very clearly done by a disgruntled fan.

18. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's somewhat like supply and demand. The cards were listed as never to be reprinted, making the originals worth quite a lot. In fact, I believe Post Malone bought an original Black Lotus for around $1M. Now it's being reprinted and going for a LOT less, so why spend the money on the old one when a fraction could buy the new one?

19. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So does that mean that I should sell my stock of cards from the 90s now? (lots of Fallen Empires expansion packs cards if I remember right)

20. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Card stock also went to crap.