Badcube OTS-08 SunSurge / Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

Maybe Sunsurge needs a perkier set.. or more support to slim up his chest?

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP10's upper thighs and crotch aren't cartoon accurate. The gray upper thighs and waist seem to be more of an homage to the chromed parts on the original toy.

MP12's red shins remind me more of the original toy than the cartoon in which they were all black.

MP14's colors are not cartoon accurate. Save for his head, he's much closer to his toy's paint scheme.

MP15/16 also sport colors more akin to the original toy.

MP20's paint scheme doesn't match cartoon either, but is also much closer to original toy's too.

Takara Tomy has shown many times that colors used aren't solely cartoon accurate, but also the original product too;) 

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a huge fan of BadCube's stuff... I gotta say I'm finding this more off the more I see it. The line art looked great, but seeing him next to Sideswipe really makes me wish his legs were a bit shorter and torso longer. At the same time, though, I know the transformation will be friggin' amazing, and I like the vehicle mode better than Omnigonix's, which is still in some kind of limbo and only seems like a longer wait because they announced the thing way too early.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sideswipe will make any character seem undersized, as his chest was his compromise.

5. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    takara goes with toon and real life accuracy over toy accuracy.

MP09 is SUPER accurate to the toon model.

MP10 i consider to be more of an ultimate optimus prime than a wank at the G1 toon or toy.

MP11 is a clear homage to the G1 cartoon.. they've got the lighter blue right, the grey, the white and red stripes.

MP12 those red parts on the shin are just part of the transformation. you can tell by the knee detail, and the detail on the waist that they were going for toon accuracy. the toy had red knees and a predominantly blue triangle on the crotch. plus, the arm sticker detail, and waist detail are missing on the masterpiece. and lets not forget about the toon accessories.

MP13.. i'll give you that the grey is more accurate to the toy, i really wish they had used white instead. but the eyes are very clearly toon accurate.

MP17 you'll notice that he's missing most of the toys sticker detail. the head resembles his toon appearance more than his toy.

MP18 the colors and details are pretty obviously an homage to the toon. as is the different head sculpt.

MP19 the alt mode colors are more real world.. but the head, the details, and the included shoulder cannons harken more to the show than the toy.

MP20 his alt mode colors are absolutely a result of homaging the real world vehicle. i'll give you that the black is more toy accurate than the dark grey of the toon. but the head certainly looks more toon accurate.

MP21 the head is the most obvious thing to point to. i think the yellow could be a bit brighter. but i think the G1 toon was still more of an inspiration.

MP22 i think the colors and the detail (or lack thereof) is a clear hint that they went with the toon for inspiration. the colors, the red bumper, the bit darker blue, his white thighs, the color of his gun.. all much more toon accurate.

MP25 if the yellow square on his chest and all of the fine details aren't an indication of toon accuracy, i don't know what is.

it's rare for takara to homage the toy.. the toon colors, schemes, and details outweigh whatever they've taken from the toy by a wide margin.

6. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Badcube's Sunsurge looks good. It looks like he's almost ready.
    So anyone know what happened to Omnigonix then? I suspect with Badcube showing ever better images, there are going to be a lot of cancellations for Omnigonix.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Not usually one to get nitpicky about things but....

Am i the only one who thinks the the indents /divots on the front window hinge and crotch plate are an eyesore?

Maybe it's just me, but the one on the front window sticks out like a sore thumb.

8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Beat me to it. I get we all like different things but the negativity in pretty much every thread nowadays is getting soul destroying. I often wonder why some posters even collect, they expect a perfection that has never happened before or could only happen with some 80's animation magic. If I woke up to these reveals picking and complaining everytime I'd give up. Why bother if nothing is good enough?

As it is I'm not sure even the much hallowed Takara could do much better. Hell, they have form for faking parts as has been discussed, it wouldn't surprise me if they did similar.

EDIT- Shiro's ps adding yellow to the chest area just improves things again. Looks fantastic.

9. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ha! Good point. :D 

I understand your point, and like you I see both sides. As I say, I can understand some folk don't like it as a general method of transformation, but personally and in my opinion there is no distinction between this guy and Red Alert. :) 

I actually kinda like just leaving his normal wheels on occasionally.

That's incredible work! :thumb 

Looks really good. Brilliant stuff.

You're not the only one. I can't say as it has bothered me, but I have seen other comments about it elsewhere.

10. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think with MP-10 (and MP-01) it's because it's not an obvious fake vehicle piece, it's just his abdomen. But, like I say, I'm just saying that I can *understand* why people don't like fake parts - although I'm not a fan of fake parts myself for the reasons given above, they don't ruin the figures for me at all. Like malware5, as long as both modes look great, I'm happy. And both modes do look great here.

And you just nailed the problem people have with fake parts with far less prolixity than I managed. :D 

You need to get on their Facebook page and troll them there. :)  I do hope they don't use such poor shipping methods for lovely SunSurge!

Looks great! I think yellow lined side windows on the fake chest and black on the real windows will look good. Actually, no, given that the G1 toy had yellow lined windows in alt mode too, maybe yellow lines on both. Either way, looks great.

This is the internet, what else is there to do? :D  My point was only that the situation isn't entirely parallel, because the speculation by some - and it is pure speculation - is that Lamborghini might have issues licensing a car that never existed (I don't know why they'd care about that part, but hey). Whereas MP BB's alt mode did exist in real life. Anyway, whatever - I'm happy with SunSurge.

You do like your grouchy observational lists, don't you? :D 

11. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

With Masterpiece Clampdown being revealed, I wanted to see what the police trio would look like together.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• popo.jpg
      popo.jpg
      File size:
      269 KB
      Views:
  12. Shaundiesel

Shaundiesel Well-Known Member

If its a faux chest/winshield i hope its a blue tint. Wouldnt it represent the toon better?

13. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Great work :thumb 

I hope for yellow outlines on the side windows (one of Omnigonix's big problems for me was cocking up that bit of detailing, so it would be a shame if BC got it right but made it invisible by painting them black!).

Overall I agree with folks that this guy has over-long legs/too short torso, but I suspect standing next to Sideswipe is exaggerating that. As a standalone figure he probably works much better.

Still prefer this version for my MP Sunstreaker anyway :) 

14. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It would but then it'd mismatch the other MP cars who don't have that style.

Like win. I'd love to see a police deco'd 935 Turbo Jazz alongside them too.

15. unexpectedpanda

unexpectedpanda Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quick and dirty proportion adjustment, using Shiro's image as a base.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Looks a million times better already, you shortened the legs and elongated the torso, Panda?

17. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    - Chest and hips were lowered.
    - Ab area expanded and given extra height.
    - Lower legs widened.
    - Joints sunk deeper into hips.
    - Upper legs shortened.

18. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hmmm the head being higher like that really helps... Makes the stock version look sunken in.

19. unexpectedpanda

News Credits:
    Slight chest widening.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah those are bugging me as well, especially the Alert Wheels on them arms. Haha! I still need a Sunstreaker, so this is the best.