Badcube OTS-08 SunSurge / Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The awesome thing about this is Badcube tend to hit their release schedules (I know some retailers are still waiting for bugs but technically they were released a while back).

Mirage, Hound and Sunstreaker just before Ironhide. That Ark crew shelf is gonna look soooooo good in a few months.

2. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Good point! Whilst this guy does look like he has some way to go before an October release, I'm hopeful and also quite confident that they will come through. Oh, and I ordered him from TFS-Express this time. :D 

3. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those are fair points, and I will concede that his proportions are likely the best that BC could do considering his transformation. It looks like his doors and side windows are entirely contained in the lower legs, which would explain why they're so long. I don't mean to come off as hating him, quite the contrary. There's no question he is MP worthy and is better than Omni imho. His pluses definitely outweigh his proportions minus. I'll be picking him up for sure and can't wait to see him all painted up and chromed. :) 

4. NamelessOne

NamelessOne SG Autobot

This.

I keep looking at the faux chest, back to Sideswipe, and back to the faux chest, and it hurts my eyes.

If they made it a tad more real-size, I'd consider it, but it more than likely isn't given the size it has to go to under the real shell, or on the bottom of the car.

5. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

So at first I thought, "agh that chest?!". I wanted a bigger windshield. For some reason that's what I was remembering. Then I looked at some screenshots of G1 toon, and I'll be damned if that isn't almost perfectly sized?! I think it'll look much better once the yellow detailing on the edges of the windshield and side windows is added (hopefully that's the plan!). Also not sure what's going on with the top and bottom of the "roof"...hopefully that doesn't look as screwy in the final version. The "bottom-up" photos make the head placement look really weird, but that's the same with TT Sideswipe and Red Alert, so he actually fits in there. I'm much more interested now...besides the fact that Sunstreaker was one of the first (if not the first!) transformers I ever owned, making him one of my favorites (even though I can't remember his chest size!!).

6. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks like they made the feet/legs connection look less unaligned. It still far from being perfect but it's a tad better than before.

I'm not a huge fan of the really short body either but I could live with it.

Still undecided.

7. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

this really isn't an issue. Was Bumblebee based on a RL vehicle? Well no, so they picked something close and ran with it, and apparently we loved it...

Other than maybe shifting the pivot so his foot is more centered, I don't see much to complain about here. Being a bit long legged is ok by me as a lot of the original toys (and influenced animation models) were always a bit blocky in my eyes. Just need a better look at the face sculpt.

8. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Oh man ... This just looks so damn good. Can't wait.

9. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I like him (even though the chest still bugs me for some reason), I just don't know if I $104.99 like him. For that kind of money, I don't want to be second guessing myself on buying him.

I just can't put my finger on what's bugging me about that damn chest. Then seeing him next to MP12 Swipe, for me, his waist should not be higher than Swipe's. I know Sunny is a smidge taller than Swipe, but not to that extent.

10. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Looking good to me! Will buy for sure.
    Also getting Spinout if it ever comes and don't mind if TT puts out an official one too. As long as they are all good, I can potentially have 4 yellow Lambos and have no problems with it.

11. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ? Bumblebee was based on a real-life vehicle, though. G1 'Bee was a VW Beetle in toy form and in the cartoon, just a squished one. The MP was a real-life VW Beetle without that stylisation, but still with recognisably the same alt mode. Sunstreaker without his boosters just wouldn't be the same!

I agree with you that there's nothing much to complain about here, though. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I too am looking forward to seeing the face sculpt - hopefully they are hard at work with the paints as we speak. :) 

12. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see your point about the chest when compared to other Takara Masterpieces. It looks so obviously fake and has always bugged me. Hey, at least it has "real" windows now.

13. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Of course, it's not like Red Alert's arm wheels really look like they'd actually roll very far... :wink: 

I have to say I'm still a little surprised that the chest bothers people so much. I mean, fair enough if that's the case, but personally I just think it's quite an elegant solution and looks pretty neat.

Binaltech Tracks had a similar thing with a little canopy chest and I remember thinking that it was quite clever at the time, and it was also mentioned in such a light in several reviews. To me, it works quite well.

[​IMG]

14. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Well said, what I can't get my head around is that the people complaining more likely own one, some or all of the figures I'm about to mention;

MP-10 - fake abs
    MP-22 - Fake tyres
    MP-14 - Fake tyres on shoulders

They didn't have a problem with those figures, I wonder why Badcube's fake chest is such an issue?

Oh..and just to make it clear I'm not buying this figure, I'm just genuinely curious about the double standards going on here?

15. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I'll wait for Takara to do the carbots.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Wow! He really looks great! I was pretty unsure with those earlier prototype shots but this looks fantastic

17. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-10's fake abs never bothered me, but I thought the fake tyres on MP-22 were pointless and that it was a shame about the fake tyres on MP-14, too. (You can add the fake rear window to MP-21, too, by the way, which I thought worked well - yep, I'm inconsistent.) Still love all of those figures regardless, though.

I do understand why the fake chest bugs some people. I'm not a huge fan of that route, myself. I think it's because, what I love about the G1 designs (as opposed to, say, Bay designs) is all that obvious kibble on the 'bots. There are whole chunks of cars hanging off them - they are obviously robots that turn into vehicles, and you can see where various parts of the robot are going to end up in car mode. (This is probably why Ironside's hip kibble doesn't bother me as much as it does some.) But then, in the case of SunSurge, in trying to slavishly follow the proportions of the cartoon, you end up in a situation where you have fake kibble, and unlike with the other MPs so far it's a part that makes up a large and fundamental part of his robot mode. But it's not a necessary part of the transformation (in terms of becoming part of the car), and is just there to mimic a car part that was there in the cartoon, while the real car part is hidden away somewhere else. So, if I think about it too much, it does seem very silly, and I can understand why that ruins the figure for some people - certainly, I prefer OmniGonix's approach there, even though I like both figures as much over all.

But! All of that notwithstanding, just as I think MP-10, MP-14, MP-21 and MP-22 are glorious figures, I also think this is a beauty, and the fake chest is not going to ruin it for me. (There's a sexist joke to be made here somewhere.)

18. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Double standard, where?

MP-10 - fake abs - Don't like that feature at all, and while I own it, I'm not particularly fond of the figure overall.
    MP-22 - Fake tyres - Didn't buy it, but for reasons far more legit than that (gargantuan size, buttflap)
    MP-14 - Fake tyres on shoulders - Couldn't care less. Certainly not necessary and would have been happy if they just left them off. Until the MP came out, I didn't recall that even being a feature of the animation model.

I don't like the BC fake chest, but I could forgive it if it were large enough to not appear so painfully obviously fake. But the duck feet and stork legs are the main reasons I'm waiting for Omni or someone else to meet my Sunstreaker collecting needs.

19. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

I hope they prime the dark roof prior to painting it or they could run into the same issues lambo has in those pics.

20. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They all fall under the umbrella of faux parts, though I wouldn't say there are no meaningful distinctions between them. Your question also presumes that they like those other uses of faux parts.