Badcube OTS-08 SunSurge / Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Sweet! He looks awesome. Honestly, I'm normally pretty happy to hear everyone's various opinions, but frankly on this occasion I cannot see how anyone can look at this and not think that it's at least close to a home run. There is some serious nitpicking going on, my friends... :wink: 

Also notice how in the straight on shot next to Prowl that they have the same proportions... no? So please let's stop all of this 'Badcube proportions' talk. It sounds as silly as people using the term 'Kobayashi hip kibble'. :p  ;) 

I jest, but he is looking really nice. :) 

Gah! Don't even get me started. Big mistake on Badcube's part, that.

Me neither! I thought the original unpainted pics were great, these are already a huge leap above those, and we have a promise of something even better in the next set. Unless Takara suddenly pull something 100% spot on and amazing out of the bag, then as you say that Sunstreaker done, IMO.

Also, not many comments on the car mode, but damn... that's absolutely spot on. At least from the pics, it looks to be bang on proportions & measurements-wise to the TT Lambos. I bet it will look incredible once painted.

So excited to see more pics!

EDIT: Like Liampope mentioned, I noticed that the feet looked different in different pics. I also suspect they will look absolutely fine like in that photo.

2. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

Can someone explain the "fake chest" comments I keep reading please. I don't quite follow the logic behind it.

3. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    It seems that as part of the transformation the car windshield folds onto his back and the one that you see on his robot chest is separate and is hidden inside the car mode. A lot like how MP-1 & MP-10 have two grills, or how MP-14 has fake wheels on his arms. Or how MP-22 has fake wheels...

4. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

I get it now. Thanks. I'm glad they went that route. The huge windshield would look silly on the chest IMO.

5. N_M_S

N_M_S Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fixed. :) 

New pics are awesome. Figure looks better than expected. I'm looking forward to this!

It's like people forget that line art (whether animation or comics) doesn't have to obey the physics of solid objects...

6. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the top of the car + windshield that you see on the chest isn't the real one. FE Optimus Prime also employ this technique and have another panel that forms the chest windows.

Well, it didn't detract from the enjoyment of Baywatch, why should I let it bother me now... :D 

7. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Looks really nice.

8. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

I can already see in one of the shots that the leg lines up better with the foot. I'm sure when it's adjusted, the shin will be able to sit completely above the foot rather than on the inside of the foot.

9. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

Need to see painted test shots before I can jump in. As is, the faux chest and feet still throwing me a bit.

Anyone mind that he appears to have a very short neck?

10. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Much better. Great update by Badcube. The hinges on the windshield are still sloppy but I'm guessing they couldn't engineer that better. Also the rear of the car is a mess. Toy accurate? Maybe. Masterpiece? Not. I just wish it were more like a drag racer in back or even just added the lambo rear lights. All the screws and hinges look bad. Still gonna get it though, I'll just try to ignore the rear of his alt mode.

11. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

getting close. I'm not an engineering but this is what I think is possible and would completely sell me on this.

-make the chest a bit longer or reduce the width a bit
    -put a slider on the ankle so you can center the feet a bit
    -slightly longer neck?

Alt mode is spot on, can't wait to see it ALL PAINTED :D 

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice.

Does Badcube utilize diecast? Is this one expected to have any?

13. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

While he does look nice, I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to get him. I don't know what it is but something bugs me about his chest. I'm also hoping it's just the angle of the camera, and he doesn't suffer from 'no-neck' syndrome. I can learn to live with his sasquatch feet.

I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed that TT will roll out an MP Sunny within the next 2 years.

14. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

While I agree 100% with your assessment of what would make this figure much improved (and might sway me to get him), I assume that at this point the design is pretty much fixed, unless there is a major problem that needs to be addressed. I don't see BC making large changes at this late stage unfortunately. Nice try, but no cigar.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

If I had never seen Omnigonix design I'm sure I'd be happier about this one. The faux chest really bothers me.

16. Shiro1

Shiro1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He does indeed have Prowl's proportions...but that's the problem. Prowl's animation model had long legs and a stubbier torso which is reflected perfectly in his MP. Sunstreaker had more natural proportions like Wheeljack and Sideswipe. Sunsurge looks very off in those comparison pics with Sideswipe (note his waist is higher than Sideswipe's). Other than the proportions though, I think he looks fantastic.

Attached Files:

17. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Looks good with Sideswipe to me. :wink: 

[​IMG]

18. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Looks good to me too.

MP Sunstreaker sorted.

Now where's Trailbreaker and Jazz (not that TnR one).

19. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm really happy with this and can't wait for it to come out.

20. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Just saw the pics you added as don't think they were there when I initially replied. I do take your point and obviously see what you're talking about, although at least for me personally this is just the kind of think that I only ever notice when I'm specifically studying these sorts of pics and actively comparing. If I just look at and appreciate the figure, then he looks perfect. I'd also add that it's the same deal with several MP figures, including Sideswipe, who also looks differently proportioned to his character model, and yet I think he's awesome. Whilst it's true that Prowl is about as close as you can get, not every MP follows this trend, and to me Badcube have more than hit the mark well within the boundaries of acceptable likeness (and certainly within the same boundaries that the likes of Hasui himself tend to operate). :) 

I'm not saying Takara would never do better (who really knows, anyway?) but right now, this to me is Sunstreaker. :thumb