Badcube OTS-08 SunSurge / Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

If the QC comes out alright I am ready to call this battle and give my money to Omni.

2. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Yep, because you get the umpire behind home plate look.

3. GrimSwipe

GrimSwipe Shock Trooper

The Streaker Wars (TM), may end up putting the Snarl Wars(TM) to shame. The subtle cues are already there in these threads.

Happy to hear that the foot issue will be somewhat addressed. I'm really excited about this. It's been a quiet year for me in terms of excitement at new reveals. Stompy, Willis, and now SunSurge are the only reveals to get me past half-mast.

4. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

Most of those official fake bits upset at lease a portion of the fan base and did not get a free pass.

Like I said a while back, I think the issue here is one of scale - fake wheels or grills or windows are not the same scale of cheat as an entire front torso that is supposed to be the roof of the car. Those are all details or fake parts integrated into surrounding real parts of the alt mode. Sunsurge is more like the fakery in RiD Cliffjumper where the whole front of the bot is false, unlike the FE version where it really is the car making up his torso. The RID torso looks closer to the animation model, but animation models are typically impossible to recreate physically and because of that I prefer the less animation accurate but more "physically accurate" FE cliffjumper and Omni Spinout.

I'll have to disagree that this is clever. Integrating a false grill into surrounding truck parts is clever. An entire false torso that is integrated into nothing is maybe necessary for those wanting strict toon accuracy but there is nothing clever about it. Those parts and details don't have to do anything in alt mode except be hidden.

5. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Euphemism?

;) 

6. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
  7. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

The more I see this the more exited I get...

8. lumax

lumax Well-Known Member

gap or no gap, the side panels still seem to reach far enough down that the feet will never sit snug to the legs, and therefore he'll always look like he's on skates.

9. Roadblock1977

Roadblock1977 Well-Known Member

I don't normally dabble in 3P stuff, but Sun Surge looks pretty good. :) 

10. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
  11. Raiju

Raiju Mendokusai desu... Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Considering the alternative (the real roof/windscreen looking so ridiculously huge it hangs below the waist to cover up the crotch area, I think it's clever as hell and the alt mode (at least the front half) doesn't look the worse for it either. Back kibble in bot mode looks pretty manageable too, all things considered.

12. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    The speed with which Bad Cube releases stuff is breathtaking while the only thing Omni does well is write posts saying: "yes, we are still alive."

13. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Well, and design far superior legs. :wink: 

14. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

daimchoc, thanks for the new pics showing off the range of motion in the legs.
    Range of motion is a big big deal to me, so this is very encouraging.

And thanks for posting pics of early sketches along with why the fake chest was decided upon. They made the right choice.

15. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

BC has better hewdsculpt, but the comic shits on both.

16. greatcthulu

greatcthulu Well-Known Member

I think we must define clever differently. Why the heck would the alt mode suffer at all? The chest has absolutely nothing to do with the car, it's 100% fake. Hence, not a creative solution at all.

Part of me not being impressed has to do with the fact that I don't prioritize the cartoon models as what the characters should look like. For people that do this is probably as best as could be expected.

17. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They hide the huge actual chest/roof pretty damn well...gotta give them credit for that, at least.

Clearly this guy doesn't match your priorities, why not just focus on the Omnigonix thread? I don't mean that in a rude "GIT OUT!" way, it just seems like the BC version isn't what you're looking for and they aren't going to change the figure so dramatically at this point, whereas the Omnigonix one seems right up your alley.

18. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Superior designs that never go to production are useless.

As I said in that thread, a bunch of us ate Omnigonix money in the Chinese stock market crash ;) 

19. SuperMegaAutobot

SuperMegaAutobot Well-Known Member

This is where I'm at with this thread. I've started and aborted about 5 different responses in this thread but what's the point. I support Badcube's rationale for their design choices and the fake chest isn't going anywhere. Would be great if people could go over the omnigonix thread if they prefer it so much. They even got a thread update today. :) 

20. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do see your point, and that of the all those who don't like this fakery. But as I said above I don't agree and I do find this clever. It's an engineering solution to better achieve the main goal of MP figures (at least the cars) - toon accuracy in bot mode and realism in alt mode.

They could in theory have done it more 'cleverly' (how you are defining clever here). I think the minimum of fakery (assuming nobody wants seams on the alt mode windshield - eww) would have been to take away and hide only the windscreen and a strip off the back of the roof and side windows. What remains of the real roof could then be collapsed in width and the real side windows used, then just a fake windshield brought in.

But who knows how much more difficult the engineering might have been for that, and to be honest why bother making that effort to improve it only philosophically? Cos that's what it really boils down do here - they have achieved the desired aesthetic, and the debate around whether the resulting bot chest is formed from all, some or none of the real car canopy is purely philosophical - a measure of some idea of the 'purity' of a transformer, or something. Physically and aesthetically it makes no difference at all.

Personally I'm not gonna get hung up on such things. Looking right is enough for me, and to me this looks better than Spinout due to this clever fakery. And ask yourself this - how would the real Sunstreaker transform? :)  He can't morph either so he'd have to do some clever fakery too to achieve his pretty figure! :)  :p