Badcube OTS-08 SunSurge / Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OptionZero, Jul 2, 2015.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My assumption was that making the arms thinner would be the quickest fix since they appear to just fold up inside the car somewhere and don't have any car bits on them. Making them thinner shouldn't make any difference. Making the legs thicker on the other hand could be quite tricky. It's not really an issue that concerns me though so if they do nothing with it that's fine by me.

The only thing that really puts me off this figure are the way the feet sit off to the sides. They appear to look fine in action poses, but standing straight up they look bad. They should imitate Omnigonix feet if they can.

2. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Omnigonix feet looks about the same, albeit maybe a bit tighter inwards (but maybe BC would be tighter too if it isn't a loose proto). Omni's feet looks better because the doors hanging off the side of the legs are out more and so bulk up the legs so that the feet don't look as large or look like they are sitting too much outside like BC does. If you look at BC's doors, they are really hugging snugly against the legs.

3. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Only problem I have with SunSurge is his selenium shin guards are too thin.

4. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Listen to this guy! Those fixes make the figure looks waaaay better.

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Will this Sunstreaker have more more red and black on him or will he look more like the digibash up top?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TheByTeR

TheByTeR Megatron's Abusive Father

I rarely post and mostly observe these boards, voraciously... I felt I should throw this out there. I figure it won't start World War III...P...(See what I did there?) O... Too far? In my defense it's still a shiny sun colored robot beloved by an unforgiving fandom... Ahem... Anyways...

I did it for my own comparison and hoped it may help others one way or another.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the exception of the BC Sunsurge prototype picture (which they did say had loose joints and will matter to none that wouldn't already accept this as a possibility.) I lined up and with a fixed aspect ratio scaled all the pics so that the heads and feet lined up.

I IMAGINE(Guessing, speculating, in no way making guarantees, have no insider knowledge including but not limited to not having discussed post coitus with a bad cube employee, etc, etc... feel free to ignore this disclaimer and lay the thunderous rage on Moi anyway. I can take it without crying. Already starting to mist, I *sniff* guess I was wrong...) the head will sit higher based only on their line art and statement about the joints being loose. It is an assumption on my part as everything else seems to line up. Sans a final test shot to use for comparison, such is life.

If you absolutely need an inflammatory statement to brighten your day, here we go. My Megatron can't beat yours up! Now read that again... Slower...

7. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the best way to do Sunstreaker is to just remold MP Wheeljack.

8. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Sunstreaker and Wheeljack had the same transformation, like Prowl and Bluestreak did, right? I never had G1 Sunstreaker and Wheeljack, that's why I'm asking, but from looking at them, it seems they did. If that's the case, you're right--the best way to do Sunstreaker is just use MP Wheeljack as a guide.

9. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    Quite the wordsmith! :p  My new favourite poster here! :D 

I actually love SunSurge so far, Omni's looks too frumpy...

Also getting very tired of hearing how much better Takara's hitherto non-existent offerings will be compared to 3P products...

10. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm just basing it on similarities like the chest and feet. MP Wheeljack has pretty good engineering, everything is tucked away neatly in robot mode (maybe except car parts on the forearms). It's easy to see how the same approach can be used for an MP Sunstreaker.

11. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well these pictures are certainly interesting and bring this to a whole new level. I'm really wondering now what will happen to Omnigonix.

12. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seems sound. Problem is the cockpit. lancia Stratos has a much smaller roof. Sunstreaker will require a sacrifice in one direction or another. Either big chest like Spinout, faux chest like SunSurge, or overly complicated collapsing chest. Only because the Countach has a big roof and windshield.

13. valkfan

valkfan Nova Storm Lives!

This post is all kinds of win! LMAO!!

I could almost hear Sunbow Sunstreaker referring to his "selenium shin guards" as I read it!

14. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly - the transformations are vaguely similar only. The alt modes are far too different in size/proportions of the various parts - especially. When you look in detail they are quite different - SS needs more hood on the feet, can't have hood shins, needs doors on the outside of the calves etc etc. What works for WJ won't necessarily work for SS. Omni's is closer to Wheeljack's transformation, but I much prefer the extra engineering in BC's to achieve the accuracy.

15. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    The only thing this figure has going for it is that it's likely to be released before... ... ... what's was the other one named, Spin-out? Otherwise, nope, not at all right.

16. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Hey, thanks, man. Probably will.

But, nah, this thing's ugly. Like a frog or something.

17. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I still think this is looking amazing. I have every faith that this will look incredible as Badcube continue to develop it beyond this initial protoype.

I still don't understand why numerous examples of official line 'fakery' are given an easy pass, whereas this is deemed as unacceptable. I can't help feeling that if a Takara Sunstreaker was unleashed with the same mechanism, it would accepted by more people a little easier. I remember seeing MP-1's fake grill for the first time and thinking it was really rather clever, and I have exactly the same reaction seeing this. Bravo, Badcube, given that the alternative is a massively oversized roof & windshield on the robot chest.

I suppose that is my only remaining nervousness around this - I still think it's likely that TT will tackle this guy at some point soon. I'm quite torn, as I think this looks fantastic, and I do love Badcube.

Nice! There we go, as Badcube have said - clear windows on the chest.

Really? How is it lazy? You're getting extra engineering to achieve an accurate robot mode. Lazy would have been just having the existing roof just fold straight onto the robot mode chest. I don't think solving that problem is lazy at all.

I'm glad you jumped in on this, as I was surprised to see the old 'Sunstreaker should be a re-tooled Wheeljack' thing start again. :lol 

18. The New Guy

The New Guy Well-Known Member

This is probably more than I'd like to spend on a MP Sunstreaker as I've never cared for his design terribly much, but he's looking pretty much as good as I could imagine him looking. Personally I really like the fake chest as a solution to the big windscreen, pretty clever.

19. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow badcube are really pouring on the pictures.

The price is a little high and I'm waiting to see coloured test shots before I throw down but I really like what I'm seeing and I'll probably go for this over spun out now.

Having both silver and chrome trim parts is great because it would have taken me ages to decide which if they were sold as two different versions.

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits: