Badcube Grump - Masterpiece Gears

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 2003 Megatron, Apr 18, 2016.

1. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

1/144 hobby base hands and joint kit. Had to drill out the pin hole some for the joint to fit but I'll not be buying another gears.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Show.Z invoiced me for the rest of the $ on my pre-order on this guy. Shouldn't be long now...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Ah, thank you. I might just look into this. Does it transform cleanly into alt mode with these hands?

4. nomolos

It does. I'll check the exact kits I used and get some pics in a bit

• Like Like x 2
  5. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    A mini tutorial would be great if you’re so inclined!

6. nomolos

I can try. It will be tomorrow though. My son wants to DM a mini adventure tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  7. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    Well, damn, now I might do that for Gears and Swerve, when I get them...

8. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What happens to the welding torch add-on? Is it still able to fit?

9. nomolos

I've never even tried to attach it so I couldn't say. When I get the pics I'll check.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nomolos

not being a dick but covering the bases, if you do this and break your toy, it is not my fault or responsibility in any way. you own it and it's your choice to alter it. you will not be able to return to stock setup once you make this alteration. IT IS PERMANENT. period.

okay, you need Hobby Base #PPC-Tn20 Ultimate Joint series - PC Roll Swing Joint [Small, Gray] (you can also use the "dark grey" which actually black, but just make sure your hands match whatever joints you buy)
    and the 144 hands. the hands are kind of hard to find right now since they quit making them but if you keep an eye out, you can grab some. square or round doesn't matter, i prefer round.

the hand set comes with several connections. the swing joint in the center of the right assembly [​IMG]
    is all you need from the set, but you have to buy the whole thing to get it.

I'm sorry, I don't have to option to put pics of the process since it was over a year ago and i didn't know if it would work so i didn't document it, but it is pretty easy to follow, i think

1st. take the forearm apart into it's two halves by removing the screw at the elbow. this isn't necessary, but it makes removing the pin and everything else, much easier.

2nd. using your preferred method, remove the pin from the half of the forearm the hand sits in. be careful. the inside tab is at risk in this step. support it so that it can't move or you could snap it off. set the hand aside or throw it out, whatever.

3rd. carefully using a drillbit (2mm or 5/64), drill out the pin holes to accomodate the swing joint pegs. I hand drilled the hole from the outside of the forearm section through to the inside.

4th. this is the tricky part-you have to get the swing joint into the holes without fucking up your toy. heres how i did it, but ymmv. I shaved off part of one side of the swing joints pegs to be rounded and short. then i inserted the long one into the outer section of the forearm, and gently pushed the rounded off one into the inside tab. if you do it right and used the right drill bit, it will sit with just enough friction to hold it in place but not enough to prevent movement.

5th. put the hands together. you may think it doesn't matter which finger you put in which slot, but it does. if you put the index finger in the 1st finger space, it won't fold up properly. also, you will need nerves of steel so be in your quiet place and no coffee lol. if you want to be able to transform it, do not use the back cover for the hand. it makes the hand to big to fit in the small space provided. Also, I always cut the last joint off of the thumbs because it's too damn long with it and looks dumb. if you can't find the round version of the hand, you will probably want to trim the finger tips so they aren't pointed and claw looking. when you assemble the hand make sure you use the proper ball joint that fits in the swing joint you installed. its the smaller one.

6th. reassemble the arm before inserting the hand so it's not in the way.

7th. pop the ball joint in

8th. ????

9th. profit

notes: you will need to shave the tab on the welding torch to get it to fit. he will hold his gun loosely after this but I don't care as I have not ever tried before today to get him to hold it. the hand has to be folded as pictured below to close. the hand set comes with a static closed fist that you could also use for whatever reason, but i don't know if it would transform and i don't have it anymore to check.

IMG_20190113_105016.jpg IMG_20190113_105115.jpg IMG_20190113_105124.jpg IMG_20190113_105139.jpg

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Thank you! Well explained, and well articulated. (And I take no offense from the disclaimer!)

• Like Like x 1
  12. nomolos

thanks. if anyone tries it, I do hope it goes well.

13. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    Thanks @nomolos!! That’s very helpful and I think I’ll give that a try if I can track down the parts! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  14. nomolos

Show z has this guy in stock for 55 bucks if anybody missed or wants an extra.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    Got my shipping notice from ShowZ this morning :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. RoDu

RoDu Well-Known Member

I'm still awaiting my shipping notice :s

17. Faxie

Faxie Well-Known Member

I think I'm gonna cave in and get Grump and Gears. Don't think there will be another option anytime soon. Maybe XTB at some point, but that'll be at least 2 years.

18. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

YouTube (Handle):
    My Grump has landed in the UK, so I should have it next week. Just Boost to go now, but doubtful that will make the CNY shutdown.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShortHound85

ShortHound85 Well-Known Member

Anyone know when TCP will get Grump?

20. RoDu

RoDu Well-Known Member

been waiting for my Grump to ship from showz since last Saturday