Bad toys you bought because of the character

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GitGudGabe, May 20, 2024.

1. GitGudGabe

GitGudGabe v e h i c o n

News Credits:
    Sometimes, you don't especially care for a character, until you give their toy a chance. Maybe they're nobodies, or have a scant line or two as a bio, but you grow attached to them on the strength of their toy.
    These are not those characters.
    These are characters you love, have followed for a while, or had a memorable appearance, making you crave their toy. Upon tending the cardboard and unclipping the ties, you are met with an empty feeling. And then, you realize, you had been bamboozled. Blinded by your love of the character, you convinced yourself it would be good, only to realize it's a big ol goose egg.
    What bad toys did you buy because of their character?
    For example :

CW devastator- I really love long haul and scrapper's characterization. I also like the others on paper, though mix and scavenger haven't done much other than be weird and kill prowl. Point is, I was excited for 6 Voyager constructicons. Only for my two boys to get massacred. CW Devestator is all the proof I need that Titan combiners are a bad idea, and am highly skeptical of anyone who wants to give liokaiser that treatment.

Shattered glass flamewar- The delicious irony of the Legacy Arcee mold. Half laser cycle-, half Arcee, made to have ninja elements, even though a better ninja bike Arcee mold mate was right around the corner. The fact legacy prowl exists makes this mold such an embarrassment, and completely unnecessary. Same wheel placement, similar headlight location, better backpack. My sole experience with this was courtesy my beloved flamewar. Even though it is the best looking iteration of this mold, no amount of lipstick could flatter this pig.

A lot of starscreams- the exceptions are classics(for it's day), FE prime, legacy's Armada and Cybertron. That's it, all of the others fall short in some way.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

Maketoys SlipSwarm: All for the love of Slipstream, Jet is pure trash.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Lotta Sky-Bytes.

4. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

Legacy Blanker/Pointblank. Twice. Never tried so hard to like a toy in my life. Should never even have been tried as a Deluxe. Sacked it off and bought Maketoys' Contact Shot, even though I'm not an MP guy - now that's a handsome Blanker...

Legacy Minerva. Continuing the 'fuck it, that'll do' approach the current team have to anything not Sunbow, Beast Wars, or Armada. Could have been worse. Could've been Wrecker Hook/Tow-Line as a green Junkion...

Legacy Jhiaxus. Nice figure to look at. Awful figure to touch.

Studio Series Arcee (Rise of the Beasts). Just not good at all.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    Only one I think I really dislike, but then several more that just weren’t for me personally and others I probably wouldn’t have gotten if not for the character rep.

Legacy Core Class Optimus: Got him along with Core G2 Megs when I started collecting last year, as he was the only official G1 Optimus still readily available around MSRP. I’ve kept him since it’s useful to have an Optimus in that scale for photos, but he’s probably my least favorite of any figure I own. Just a mess of overly tight ball joints (his elbows are the tightest I’ve ever encountered on a figure; not a good way) you clumsily press into something that looks vaguely like the world’s least-convincing truck.

I don’t like the Kingdom Galvatron (via Gen Selects Galvatron II) or Rodimus molds very much either, so there’s that, but I can enjoy both in the right mood. See also Siege Roadhandler, who is a pretty not-great Micromaster remake I got solely for Marvel rep, but I’m not, like, mad at it either. I wouldn’t call any “bad,” but maybe not for me.

A few other character rep choices just haven’t been for me: SS86 Grimlock I eventually sold for his PotP version. SS86 Kup was another character roster pickup that never did it for me that I later sold off happily for the Hasbro Titans Return version, which does.

Then there’s stuff I like fine that I probably wouldn’t have picked up on its own merits: The Generations WFC Decepticon Disk set just to get my hands on a Ratbat; PotP Dreadwind and Darkwing; arguably the whole of the Dramatic Capture Nemesis Bridge set (I do think Megatron is bad, but I didn’t get it just for him, so… hm…) But not crazy upset with those. Just kind of uninspiring toys without the character they represent attached.

EDIT—Actually Kingdom Rhinox might be another candidate here. I got it in a very reasonably priced lot with the other Kingdom Maximals so it doesn’t stand out, but, uh, yeah, he is not very fun to deal with and I sure do tolerate it just because he’s Beast Wars Rhinox.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Classics Cheetor, design wise it was far off from it was trying to be. Though still got it anyway as I have as extremely desperate for anything Beast Wars at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ExiaDefensor

ExiaDefensor Well-Known Member

3rd Place - Legacy Crankcase - just a boring, unintuitive mold. My new copy was a bit loose too. Needed this guy though

2nd Place - Legacy Skids - same complaint as Crankcase but bigger disappointment because I've wanted a great chug skids for longer.

1st Place - Kingdom Tracks - really like tracks, needed tracks in my collection, and read the bad reviews prior to getting. Had to get him anyway with hopes he wasn't that bad. My hopes didn't help.

Runner Up - Legacy Blitzwing - not a bad toy, love the character, but really only one of three modes hit it home. The jet is a dumpster fire, the tank was "too accurate", and hasblow fluffed it up to bump it to the next price level.

• Like Like x 4
  8. VKittyCat2023

VKittyCat2023 Medieval Weapons Enthusiest

Siege galaxy upgrade Optimus.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Universe Ratchet. God I hate that toy… but he’s Ratchet… I also tortured myself and got Henkei Ratchet as well. Gotta stay complete….

• Like Like x 3
  10. MightyMegs

MightyMegs Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    • Like Like x 10
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    The Alpha Q figure from the Energon line. :lolol 

Because for awhile that was one of the only Quintesson figures available period.

12. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Energon Shockblast and High Moon Shockwave. I truly dislike both designs, but only have them because they're Shockwave.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    ER Starscream and his buddies, but now I am antoned the sin by actually getting my lazy fat ass and got MP52 today. Will track down MP SW and TC soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Deluxe Airachnid from Transformers Prime.
    MPM-4 Optimus Prime
    MPM BeetleBee

Ironically, CW Devastator is the only Devastator I own.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Legacy Minerva. Robot mode is just barely passable, car mode is ugly as sin, and she's not a Headmaster. But I had to have her for the Masterforce shelf.

Kingdom Road Rage, especially after having bought Tracks and knowing the toy is no good, but had to have her for the Diaclone shelf. I'm almost glad they skipped Loudpedal or I'd've been forced to buy it a third time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chadderbug

Chadderbug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    SS Barricade

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dome Zero

Dome Zero Kup and Hot Rod just bought it!

Energon Rodimus was a heartbreaker back in a time when the chances of seeing another new Rodimus Prime toy ever again seemed remote.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Currywurst

Currywurst Heaven And Hell 2001 nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

T30 Springer Hahahahaha!

19. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Nomenclature Nominator

There's some 3P stuff for sure... but official figures the one that comes to mind is of course Airachnid. REALLY hoping a good figure of her comes from TFOne.
    Was pretty disappointed in LU Prowl's hands... I get it, just...
    Uni Tigerhawk... really thought I'd love the new figure but just.... didnt.
    OH! DUH! PotP (throne version) OpOp! Yeah... it was just... it felt awful.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Having trouble coming up with recent examples. My budget is too close to buy stuff I know I won’t like. But I can come up with a few, plus some historical examples.

SS86 Hot Rod and that’s not so much bad as less impressive as I’d hoped.

Earthspark Deluxe and Warrior Optimus. The former is dependent on his gun to hold truck mode together, and the Warrior just does not like going into truck mode at all. Got it on Clearance and I still feel cheated.

Goldfire Bumblebee. Every single time I transformed it the leg assembly jammed and I had to disassemble to fix it. I eventually just threw it out, and I RARELY throw out Transformers, even if broken.

BM Cheetor, the Voyager-approximate one. Could not get that thing to stand up to save my life. Ridiculously skinny, and just ugly. I’ll also include Snarl-n-Hiss Cheetor here, for basically the same reasons.

The recent Core Camaro Bumblebee. How the f**k did they screw that up so badly after doing literally dozens of version of this character at this scale since 2007?

G1 Megatron. Excellent gun mode, but the robot is a floppy mess.

• Like Like x 2