Bad Designs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutobotAvalanche, Oct 22, 2016.

1. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    There are a lot of annoying characters, but who do you dislike for their designs?

Personally, I couldn't stand Silverbolt's lips in G1 or the TM2s.

2. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I can't stand a lot of the designs from Beast Machines, I think the only ones I liked was Cheetor and Tankor's.

3. Fallout

Fallout preach electric to a microphone stand

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    sunbow orion pax

• Like Like x 1
  4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Eliminating entire series' that I detest, I'd say X-Brawn from RID 2001. To this day, NOTHING is appealing about the design of that toy. And the animation model is an exact translation of the toy minus the gaping hole in the front of his fist.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 useless lesbian

News Credits:
    A lot of the G1 designs were honestly quite boring in my opinion.

First Trilogy Bumblebee was a boring design too.

A lot of the Prime designs were uninspired. Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, Bulkhead, and Starscream were so plain and unappealing.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Except for Megatron I hope. That dragon form was sweet.
    Hated Blackarachnia's redesign as a Transmetal 2 though.. yuck.

Also, all the Maximals were pretty awful in Beast Machines. In general I dislike when characters get changed but they don't look like themselves (like, I always hated Optimus's first Transmetal look).

• Like Like x 1
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, Megatron was the only guy in BW with a consistently good design, no matter the upgrades

• Like Like x 1
  8. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does the movies count cause this list is gonna be quite large?

• Like Like x 1
  9. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:

I disliked both Blackarachnia's regular design and her transmetal design :/
    Botanica too.

Toy wise, much of the Beast machine's line was pretty abysmal. I think the BM Silverbolt toy takes the cake, though.

10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde The dreaded

News Credits:
    I think this question is pretty subjective, because what may make a bad design for one person, may not for another.

Personally, I can't really think of any off the top of my head that I think are "bad". Even with the Bayverse designs, I don't think the designs themselves are the problem. I think the Bay movies have given us some really creative robot / mech designs, even if I personally think that some of them don't look enough like the characters their supposed to be.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Pretty much most Prime/RID characters for the same problem: they all have basically the same faces and design cues. Like 50% of the Prime cast has a triangular shaped face with angled cheek guards and a thin forehead crest. That, and their faces are completely smooth compared to their usually angular bodies. Plus the aesthetic is just so unappealing, with no sense of an actual transformation scheme, but no other details or motifs to make up for it. And they usually lack good colourschemes on top of it all. Even the vehicle modes are usually quite bland and by the books, with no real personality to them, though that's more a problem with RID.

Otherwise, I tend to actually find merit in designs where I can, even if I don't personally like them or think they fit a character. I still can say "alright, that's a good or interesting look just by itself." Like the BM designs don't look anything like the previous versions of the characters, or even much like Transformers at all, but standalone they're competently designed, interesting characters that instantly convey personality and style in a unique way. Some (a lot) of G1 cartoon designs are really weak, being little more than squares or boxes assembled in human shape, to the point where you could accurately recreate them in MS paint if you had to they're so simple and devoid of nuance. Also, I hate to say it, but a lot of newer IDW deisgns to me follow problems of Prime and the like of being far to genericized and angular, mostly stuff outside of MTMTE, but even it has a few really unoriginal looks in the lesser used characters. Basically if the most flair a character has is a bunch of really thin spikes radiating out from their head or chest, I tend to see them as uncreative. Windblade is an especially awful design that ultimately looks like just a generic unispired jetformer with ill-fitting Japanese visual cues shoved onto her.

• Like Like x 2
  12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    The movie designs all of them, for the simple reason the effort to keep the vehicle and bot modes as perfectly show accurate as possible leads to unnecessarily difficult transformations. The poster bot for this is ROTF Leader Class Optimus Prime. From truck to bot is easy, Bot to truck is an exercise in frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Almost forgot, pretty much ANY background Marvel G1 character, and sure as FUCK Rack n' Ruin. I detest that thing with every fiber of my being.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Wuz crackin’ lil bitches

Anything from Beast Machines...I tried to give the show a chance by watching a few episodes but in the end the character designs just looked too wierd to me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Wow, other than Fire Convoy/Optimus, that one is my favorite of the entire series. The redecoed version that looked like a rally car. I love that design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for designs I don't like... The very top has to be IDW Rodimus, from MTMTE #1 until present. I've never seen a worse design for a Transformer anywhere, barring maybe Zone's Dai Atlas.

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I've always felt most of the G1 season one and two altmodes where kind of boring, i never got into all those cars.
    The movie and post movie altmodes and designs where always the most creative to me.

17. Weezie

Weezie Taking a break, back soon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love most of the Prime designs, but I'd have to say Prime Arcee. The blue and the pink clash.

18. Fallout

Fallout preach electric to a microphone stand

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    oh yeah, og blackarachnia. uuugh such a gross design.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

I generally am very lenient in what I tolerate, with consideration I really didn't mind the movies going more inhuman with the looks across the board (they're aliens, who says they need to be universally bipedal?). But AoE lurched in the complete opposite direction and now the robots look way too streamlined for what should be vehicles that just chose to stand up. Especially Prime's nigh-kibble-free redesign, absolute lack of the strong, powerful edges that would befit the steadfast leader of the Autobots. And Galvatron was simply dreadful because one merely needs to look at the toy and its back kibble to see the toy designers spent more time trying to figure out how the alt. mode integration could work than the moron who designed Galvatron's robot mode in the first place.

A lot of the Energon and Cybertron era toys also had designs way too simple (read: not Energon Mirage/Dreadwing) for my tastes due to the abundance of gimmicks and ultimately non-earth-based alt. modes.

I've always considered R-n'-R to be what happens if you took the Wonder Twins and swapped out their rings for supermagnets or the most devious Chinese Finger Trap ever devised.

20. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    The bayformers. All of 'em. And the TF Prime designs too, being similar to the movie designs.

Animated's distorted proportions is really off-putting.

Beast Machines. How could the animators look at those things and say "yup, that's a good design!"? Rattrap takes the cake, with Cheetor a close second.

A lot of the more stylized/top-heavy IDW 'bots. Like Hot Rod (Pointy McPointerson), Rewind, Chromdome, Ultra Magnus, Swerve and Tailgate. Also IDW Cyclonus, Rung and Tarantulus.