B/S/T etiquette for items lost in transit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dracomancer, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Dracomancer

Dracomancer Well-Known Member

No names and no hard feelings involved in this instance. Awhile back I sold a relatively inexpensive item ($12 shipped IIRC) to someone on these boards. He paid me right away via paypal and I stuck his item in a padded envelope and sent it off.

Hadn't heard a peep from him in over a month so I inquired if he was happy with the item and if he'd care to leave me some feedback. Much to my surprise, he said he hadn't yet received the item. We agreed to wait a bit longer to see if it would finally limp its way into his mail box. There's no way to follow up on the item with the post office since there's no tracking number for it; tracking would have cost more than the item was worth.

A few months have gone by and I haven't heard back from this admirably patient fellow. I'm about to give up on the item ever showing up and simply declare it lost. Now I want to do right by the buyer. I'm just wondering what that might be. Assuming neither side is being deceptive (pretty sure I'm not and, since he hasn't asked for anything, I doubt he is either) and everything else being equal, who's responsible for items legitimately lost in transit? The buyer, the seller or both 50/50? Just wondering what the general consensus is. Thanks.

2. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Technically, once the item leaves your hands, you're not responsible. What happened sucks, but it wasn't either of your fault. The postal system is to blame. You did your part and an item getting lost in the mail is just a sad possibility.

If you want to do right by the buyer (which you are not obligated to do because, as stated, this is not your fault), then maybe offer him half of his money back.

3. Dracomancer

Oops. I think I posted this in the wrong place by mistake. Maybe a kind Mod could move it?

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Tracking would've cost more than it was worth? What carrier did you use?

5. Dracomancer

Canada Post. They don't commonly offer tracking on envelopes.

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wrong. It is your responsiblity as a seller to get the item to the buyer safe and unharmed. Throw in the cost of insurance and delivery confirmation to the shipping costs. This protects somewhat if the postal system is to blame. And seriously, if you dont want anything bad to happen to it during transit, pack it better. These things are easy to do. But technically, it the sellers responsibilty until the buyer has it in hands in the condition that both parties agreed upon.

On a side note, get ahold of the buyer and see if he received it yet. If you did nothing to prove it got to him(delivery confirmation), then the right thing would be to refund him. Thats how I have done business here....its only 12 bucks too. Thank God it wasnt more.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I know, it's stupid. I run a business that involves sending envelops to the US and such all the time and the tracking can get absurd.

As said, it's nobody's fault so nobody owes anyone anything, but if you want to do him a kindness you could offer a percentage back or maybe "store credit" if he ever buys from you again.

That's a tad unreasonable. He has no control over what happens to it after he sends it. I'm pretty sure they both agreed on the most inexpensive shipping, otherwise the buyer wouldn't be so cool with it. If the buyer agreed to the risks that come with insurance-free shipping without tracking than it's hardly the seller's fault.

The buyer had the option to choose safe shipping but didn't due to the costs. The seller isn't going to put himself in the hole over twelve dollars. Nonbody to blame here except the postal service. It's not the seller's responsibility to transport the package. That's why we have postal services. The seller's responsibility is to abide by the terms of the trransaction which included a shipping method which contained risks. The buyer agreed to that also and so neither are responsible.

8. Dracomancer

It seems odd to assume that it getting lost has something to do with in which I packed it. I've never received complaints about my packaging practices and some posters have even left me positive feedback about it. Just saying.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unless he agreed to not ship using a form that included tracking/insurance, I'd say you'd be on the hook, if only because you can't prove for certain you sent it to him without a receipt/tracking #. If he DID agree to not do it that way, it's nobody's fault, and thus, it would be unfair for either side to suffer more than the other. Why not split the difference and refund him 6 bucks plus half of whatever shipping was? That seems the fairest way, unless you can get money back from CP.

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, I was speaking in general about the issues surrounding unhappy buyers. I know my reply wasnt the popular reply here but you have to cover your own ass man because paypal and ebay do not care. That means including the delivery confirmation and insurance into your shipping price. Its as simple as that. Its not unreasonable. If he doesnt want any of that included, then I'd say youre off the hook, but I would make sure its in an email before the deal is done. You have to watch out for yourself, thats all I am saying.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. Dracomancer

Fair enough. Thanks to you and to everyone else for their responses.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, and while I know there're a lot of sellers who disagree with me, I pretty much see it as the seller's responsibility to do right by the customer, especially in terms of having the customer receive the item they paid for. In other words, I'd refund their money pretty much no questions asked after double the max ETA unless I felt like I was being deceived, at which time I'd take it up with the carrier in terms of getting my coverage. If people wanna read this post & buy from me with the intent of screwing me out of a toy then I guess that's a risk I'll need to take, but at the same time its not like I'm an idiot, and all of this really just a cost of doing business.

Anything else would just strike me as a bad practice, especially for something so cheap that the buyer's clearly been more than cool about.

13. Chalice

Chalice ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، فكل

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is 100% on you, UNLESS the buyer directly said he was fine with skipping out on tracking/insurance. You *ALWAYS* get insurance, that way you're BOTH covered. If you're insured and it gets lost, you get to keep the money paid for your item, and reimburse the buyer with the insurance claim.

14. Dracomancer

In case anyone is desperate for closure on this, I eventually got word from the buyer that the package had finally arrived. Total transit time from Canada to the US was just over seven weeks. No harm, no foul. He even left me positive feedback. :) 

15. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Damn!!!! Long time.

Think I've sent stuff to TrueNomad in Canuckada twice now and both were under 2 weeks, think more like a week'ish.

Also sent something to a member here in Portugal, he said, send it cheapest US mail, I do it all the time and it comes thru. Sure as heck he got it in about 2-3 weeks plain 'ole regular mail.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had one thing take like a month, but most take about 1-2 weeks (often somewhere in the middle), and I've never had an issue of flat out not getting shit. In either case I just chalk it up to mail being mail hah.

17. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    For anyone stupid enough to think otherwise, the seller is legally responsible for the items sold until they are received by the buyer. This is a fact in law, and not up for debate 'because it sounds dumb'.

if items are lost in transit, it is for the seller to A) compensate the buyer for their purchase and B) recoup their loss from the carrier themselves

/thread

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    How about citing the actual law so we can determine if it's dumb or not?

The postal service in this country has been pretty good over the years, but there are fraudsters out there following known plans to obtain both items _and_ refunds.

19. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Wow, it almost hurts my brain to read how some of you would just keep that money on a lost shipment. It is ENTIRELY on the seller to make sure it gets where it needs to go in proper condition. Shipping anything of value in this day and age without tracking is just foolish.

I'm glad everything worked out though. It is always nice to read a happy ending.

20. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    from the Uniform Commercial Code

------------------------
    UCC 2-509, entitled “Risk of Loss in the Absence of Breach” provides, in pertinent part:

(1) Where the contract requires or authorizes the seller to ship the goods by carrier

(a) if it does not require him to deliver them at a particular destination, the risk of loss passes to the buyer when the goods are duly delivered to the carrier even though the shipment is under reservation (Section 2-505); but

(b) if it does require him to deliver them at a particular destination and the goods are duly tendered while in the possession of the carrier, the risk of loss passes to the buyer when the goods are duly so tendered as to enable the buyer to take delivery.

--------------------------
    if given an address to ship to, it's your responsibility until it gets there. most countries have similar provisions, and the UN has doctrines governing international trade, and at which point each countries laws come into effect.

for general reading, Uniform Commercial Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia