Avenue 5 (new Scifi comedy coming to HBO)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

2. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, that looks good. And I'm not just saying that because Hugh Laurie is in it. :) 

jD001

• Like Like x 1
  3. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The show, just from the looks of the trailer I saw weeks ago, does look like it could be a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  4. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    IKR? It kinda has the same vibe as Airplane. :lol 

jD001

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I won't lie, looks like a good laugh. Also for some absurd reason I thought the ship was named "Judo" rather than "Judd". Dunno why that was :p 

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Finished the first episode. I've got to be honest, I didn't think it was very good.

It's Sci-Fi is weak, there's minimal comedy. I don't understand what the audience for the show is, or even what it's point is.
    The only part that's remotely entertaining was the Captains true purpose and backstory.

It's like HBO wanted an Orville, but only had limited choices, or it's a "1 for 1" from a writer/director for a show they wanted to get their show and agreed to make this in exchange for getting the show they really wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  7. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear, er, read that. I'll still give it a couple of episodes to see how I feel about it.

jD001

8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw the trailer and expected Star Trek meets Airplane 2. Instead, boring atuff, not one joke that made me laugh in the whole thing. Laurie himself looks old and tired and someone who does not want to be there.
    Ah well, I just managed to download S2 of Toast of London, time to watch some actually funny british comedy.

9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, it was pretty boring. I might give it one more episode.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I prefer Avenue Q.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yeah, this was surprisingly... not good. I expected it to be dry & obtuse in way of humor, which I normally find hilarious, but they missed most of those marks by miles. Sort of felt like when American TV tries to do British comedy - 99% it falls flat.

Will give it another go next week, but man, if it doesn't significantly ramp up by then, I'm out.

• Like Like x 2
  12. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Looks pretty meh to me....

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    And I'm done. I normally wouldn't have given it another episode with how bad the first one was, but I thought there could be a pilot to production situation where the pilot isn't that good, but after it got picked up, had something better and was going somewhere. I was very wrong.

This is like a sketch comedy skit that establishes the joke, executes a joke, then has another 12 hours running length.

I seriously don't understand who the intended audience for this series is.

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

It's not so much meant to be sci-fi comedy as it's meant to be the next rung on the "giving it to the tech bros" that Silicon Valley was, just in a space opera setting instead of current day. And in that way, at least in the first episode, I think it did alright. There were some funny moments, and the "captain" being what he ended up being I thought Laurie played it fine.

I think people expecting it to be a sarcastic version of Star Trek like The Orville were setting themselves up for disappointment. Do I think it's amazing? No. But it's not exactly a thumb in the eye either.

I guess I'll see what I think after this week's episode.

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I expected Space Love Boat. Love Boat was funnier with better characters. Though I did chuckle during the ship malfunction scene. Still, I'll probably watch the first season. Not like I got anything better to watch at the moment.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Ohhh, no, it definitely IS supposed to be a sci-fi comedy. But unlike Silicon Valley or Veep, it's neither highbrow or quick witted in any respect. It's trying to be - evident via the dialogue and character types - but it's not succeeding on any level. There would be zero point trying to make it a "next rung" anything in way of facetious point making ala Silicon Valley considering there is nothing relatable here. With Silicon, we at least could laugh at the absurdity of tech, start-ups, valuations, hedge funds, etc. With this, though, who are they "giving it to", exactly? All the space vacation companies out there? NASA? Billionaires who are morons that are always wrong? Passengers on ships? Hardly anything "on point" about any of that, unfortunately.

Personally speaking, between the Veep & Silicon connections, I expected a LOT more.

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Elon Musk
    Jeff Bezos
    The other space facing billionaires

It's just the next group to take on after the tech bros. Of course, the difference is, Bezos and Musk actually seem to have their shit together and it's too small a group to have the outliers like Silicon Valley had when that show rolled along. But, projecting forward, it's absolutely going to get to that point. (Nope->See Edit below.) Jack Black's character is basically a space company start-up (equivalent to a tech company start-up) head that's gotten too big for his britches due to being in the right place at the right time. The first episode nailed that and was still funny.

The second episode fail so spectacularly to do it I almost wonder if they didn't dump the entire creative team into a vat of alcohol before the writing session for it. There was maybe two moments that were sort of clever, and then a WHOLE BUNCH of failure. The biggest one that really stuck in my craw was the gravity reset followed by the message that the gravity will be reset in thirty seconds. Wouldn't the reset command travel at the same speed as any other communication? Just the tiniest bit of thought would have stopped that horrendous prat-fall induced decision.

I feel bad for defending the show after watching episode two. I suppose I'll give it one more and see if they can recapture what I enjoyed in episode one, but at this point they've went from "This is OK" to "Shape up or else." Something went horribly wrong here.

EDIT:
    Oops. That's not Jack Black. Though it just as well have been as Josh Gad is playing exactly the same character Jack Black has played in nearly every comedy he's ever done.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020