Avengers (4): Endgame - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Apr 22, 2018.

1. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Epic ending to 10 years, but god damn I'm sad.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    My dislike (actually its not even a dislike, its just a shame cause i really wanted to love this movie. In fact my only hope was for it to be better than Infinity War) has nothing to do with the story or what happens to the characters. It's the Last Jedi argument all over again, but in this case its much worse than Jedi. I like the story on paper, but as a movie itself it fell apart. It doesnt have a good or even remotely passable structure. It would work as a two part story but its rushed, underexplained and relied so much on fan service and hype.It didn't work organically.

That's why I loved the first 30 minutes cause it had a consistent pace with great performances. Then it started to make zero sense and it was checking all the boxes instead of telling an organic story.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I kept true to my word.
    FC367511-7556-4450-B7AA-8873095F435D.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My god some people here really need a knock to the head.

Thor had his moment in Infinity War, yes he got "Nerfed" because there were about 20+ characters that needed more attention. Nothing could top his entrance in Infinity war, nothing. It's not as if he didn't have a couple of moments in this film. He dual wielded Mjolnir and Strombreaker, and at one point nearly over powered Thanos. Yeah they could of handled him better, but his arch hasn't ended, and this is a guy that hasn't known defeat, and i mean proper defeat, not being beaten only to bounce back not even a day later. 5 years he dealt with his grief, and lets face it, Alcohol and Fortnite would do that to anyone!

We have had 10 years of Marvel films, 1 of them was about a female hero. God forbid we have 3 minutes of an all woman team up. God for-fucking-bid. If anyone thinks this was an "eye roll" moment, you need a wake up call.

Everyone pissed at Black Widows death, if you pay attention it makes sense as to why she did it, she had spent 5 years trying to keep together what remained of Earth (and presumable the galaxy considering Danvers was also on call) trying to find a way to bring everyone back for 5 years and then finding the only way to do it, of course she's going to risk herself to bring everyone back, it's what she's been fighting for!

*Cough* anyway. Time for the theories and good bits!

Would love to see an Ironwoman movie, with Pepper taking the mantle, maybe until her daughter is older. Honestly i could see Tony and Peppers kid being the "Tom Holland" of the next generation of Avengers movies. Someone to give the kids someone to look up to, Like what current Spidey does now.

Can't wait for Guardians 3 with Thor, it's going to be fucking hilarious. It will obviously be a Gammora hunt, but it'll be fine.

Black Widows movie is clearly going to be a prequel, it's about time we saw where she came from. Will be a nice send off for her Story arc.

Far From Home is going to be hard to watch, but i get the feeling Pepper, Happy, and whatever remains of Shield will keep him on the right path.

The other movies are hard to predict. Who knows what happened to Wakanda and the Wizarding world in 5 years without there leaders. I think both T'challa and Dr Strange are going to have big problems on there hands. Especially Strange, They protected earth from all things Magical, can't remember the guys name at the end of Dr Stranges movie, but something tells me he has fucked some shit up.

Seeing the big team up was amazing, and everything i needed. The Avengers Assemble line nearly killed me though, whole theatre was weeping man tears.

Can't wait to see what happens with Loki, Falcon and Bucky. Has me kinda hyped for Disneys streaming service.

All in all, probably the best movie i have seen in ages.

Ignore what you read in this thread, make your own conclusion. This is a film that needs to be seen, not read.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

I’m just gonna stop with the spoiler tags bc anyone who’s in here reading is taking a huge risk. Nobody should be in here if they haven’t seen the movie yet, unless they don’t care about spoilers! So warning to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, SPOILERS BELOW (duh)

1. Well again from the way I understood it, Cap put all the stones back, so all those alternate timelines that happened because the stones were taken, were destroyed and reverted back to the main timeline. Just like the ancient one and Bruce’s illustration on the rooftop. I think. I’m watching it again on Tuesday. They did seem consistent with their rules though

3. I wouldn’t say no place exactly, but it’ll definitely be a huge adjustment period. Based on the group meeting at the beginning, it sounds like people try to move on but they kinda can’t. That’s why Cap says only some do. I’m sure most people in the universe will be elated that their friends and family are back.

And yes Ned was def snapped, and based on the FFH trailer I guess the other friends were too since they’re the same age. But maybe the trailer is manipulated again, who knows at this point. As for the statistics of them all getting snapped? The MCU has convenience writes all the time, no use changing that now. Dr. Strange could’ve used the portals to get him and Peter and Tony off the flying donut, but he didn’t. Chalk it up to destiny or fate flowing the way it’s supposed to, idk lol. Strange sees all that stuff!

6. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it's explained itself quite well, the only bit that felt dragged out was a certain mcguffin hunt, but it wasn't bad at all. Worse than Jedi? Not at all, but then i guess it's just different opinions.

I watched it, understood it, and i thought it flowed quite well (but lets face it a 3 hour film is going to have a few pacing issues) I wouldn't say Underexplained, but if the film had any more time it would of been a bit overkill. Maybe they could of focused more on other bits and less on the ones that they did, but it would be a tough call to make honestly.

7. Megatron118

DQ though?!? :p 

Exactly. How horrible, a quick shot of female heroes! Automatically SJW! Gimme a break. Great points all around

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I think an all-woman team-up in itself can work (it did in Infinity War), but I think this one did hammer it home a little too hard. When they first showed Carol getting her backup of three others (my memory is already fuzzy on which three it was... big fight overall :) ), I thought it was great, but once they zoomed out to show all the women joining in, it felt a little preachy.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    when it was really America’s ass that mattered all along
    maybe have more join in as they pass the glove

• Like Like x 5
  10. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku “This is the way.”

Instagram:
    Didn't see that at my showing, what was it like?

:cry 

• Like Like x 1
  11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Funny how that works.
    Sadly typical, tho.
    Yup.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Saw it last night, and then again today as I had today off anyways. Noticed a few little moments the second time around that I missed before.

-Hawkeye wearing a house arrest anklet (pretty obvious in the shot, just missed it the first time)
    -Hulk eating Ben and Jerry's Hulka Hulka Burning Fudge during the Time Heist planning.
    -Mantis making one of Thano's gorilla monsters sleep, and then kicking it in the head.
    -Ebony Maw reaching out for Thanos during his dusting. Similar to how Spidey did.
    -Proxima holding Corvus' dead body as they're being dusted. Looking similar to Scarlet Witch and Vision.

• Like Like x 7
  13. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Join communist pack?

News Credits:
    I don't hate the shot of the all women teamup because of SJWs and all that(though that is the reason it's there.). I just thought it didn't make much sense. It seemed a little convenient that they all teamed up at the same in the middle of a chaotic battle where they could team up with any random hero. Also it just seems a little forced. Nothing against girl power and all that jazz that shot was just a little dumb to me.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    HOLY SHIT, THIS MOVIE FREAKING DELIVERED!!! I can barely put into words. Like, all small details, past references to other movies, and unexpected moments all converge to one grand perfect conclusion of these 22 films. But at the same time, it sets up so many plot points for future films that leaves you wanting more.
    Thor joining the Guardians of the Galaxy (or should I say Asgardians of the Galaxy) is just great. It means there's still more to his arc.
    GOTG Vol. 3 is most definitely gonna be the search for Gamora.

Peter Parker has now lost 3 father figures now (his dad, Uncle Ben, and Tony). I feel in FFH he might have the same relationship with Mysterio and when Peter gets betrayed by him, it will finally cause him to stand out on his own.

I'm very mixed on Black Widow's death as I think Hawkeye sacrificing himself might have made of more sense (Clint has his family who he loves more, while Natasha only has the Avengers as family especially Clint who she loves the most). Nevertheless, either would have worked and it does allow Hawkeye to be around for his Disney+ series with Kate Bishop, who he could use to fulfill Natasha's legacy.

With Cassie aged up, Ant-Man 3 definitely needs to introduce Stature.

And if the kid from Iron Man 3 sticks around, this all can lead to a Young Avengers film with him, Cassie, and Kate.

At first I found it weird how the people who were snapped weren't aged 5 years, but now I like it since it shows Infinity War still had consequences. Half the universe aged 5 years and moved on with their lives while the rest just missed out on all of that. It creates all kinds of social issues and will be a very intriguing plot point for Phase 4.
    And about a specific someone:
    This really was an epic conclusion to Tony's story. The Russos are geniuses and tied everything from when Tony first became Iron Man to his heroic death. The sound of him building Mark I at the end of the credits was just perfect.

Seriously, you need to go in blind for this as you are in for a treat. I loved it 3000!

Explanation for anyone confuse about a certain plot point:
    If you are confused/complaining about how them time traveling should have created paradoxes, you need to remember the film had a specific scene addressing that very issue. Tony had explained that time travel is not like BTTF or other movies where you can change the past of your own timeline. Timeline A, the original timeline from Iron Man to Endgame has not changed. Everything in the past still happened. When the Avengers went back to 2012, 2013, 2014, and 1970, they had each created 4 separate timelines where the future of those timelines could differ from the future of Timeline A. However, none of those changes affected Timeline A. This is why Nebula from timeline A was able to kill Alt 2014 Nebula and still be alive. They are not the same Nebula. Same for killing Alt 2014 Thanos. This, of course, allows for all kinds of what if stories in these timelines like Alt 2012 Loki escaping with the Tesseract.

What I'm less sure on is whether Steve returning back the stones either fixed those alternate timelines or created even more. Either way, Steve returning to the 1940s and living is life with Peggy also didn't change Timeline A. Steve created an alternate timeline where he came back to Peggy right after that timeline's Cap got frozen in ice (so that timeline had 2 Steves!). Probably when Peggy died, Timeline A Steve who has now grown old decided to return back to Timeline A where he passes on the Shield to Falcon.

Wooh, that was a doozy to write up.

• Like Like x 4
  15. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    In regards to X-Men in the MCU...
    So, Hulk was the one who snapped everyone back. And I didn't realize until just now, but Smart Hulk reminded me a little bit of Beast. Which made me think: because the Hulk was the one to bring back half the population, what if something from the Hulk imprinted upon that 50% of the population who vanished when he brought them back, and they now have the potential to become mutants? After all, Hulk is kind of a mutant. He was a mutant by accident, not by birth. But I know in at least the FOX movies they made mention of the fact that there's been a dramatic increase in the mutant population ever since atomic bombs and testing became a thing. Don't know about the comics. But yeah, what if that has something to do with it. A little bit of a monkey's paw type situation. Or it could simply be a result of the energy from when the infinity stones themselves were used. In which case, maybe it would be a reverse, where the people who stayed are the potential mutants. But I think I like the Hulk snap explanation better because then that could lead into Spider-Man becoming more mutated and growing extra arms like he did in the 90's cartoon and comics, if they ever want to go down that route in the future.

Also...
    How exactly does one put back the stones? Specifically, I was thinking of the Soul Stone. Did Cap just chuck it off the cliff towards Black Widow's body? What about that fact that Red Skull, Cap's old nemesis, was the freaking guardian of that place?! Also, what about the Reality Stone? Did he just stroll into Asgard and inject it back into Jane Foster?

What's next?
    So we're down basically the entire original Avengers cast. Except maybe Hulk. I don't recall him saying anything about retiring, but he did seem like was kind of semi-retired already after becoming Smart Hulk. And that noise at the end. Obviously Tony hammering out his original Iron Man suit. Or is it?! What if it's Ironheart(new actor/character) or Iron Lad(the kid from Iron Man 3?)? Will we see some new versions of the original Avengers? We already have the Falcon as the new Captain America! There could be a whole new generation of core Avengers. Hawkeye was training his daughter to use a bow. I recall there was some rumor of maybe her becoming the new Hawkeye. Will other people, inspired by the originals, take up their mantles? Could there be a new Thor? Is it Valkyrie? Could we get the Asian Hulk? Who knows maybe even not just limited to original Avengers, we could get Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel. What about Vision? Do you think he's dead for good? Will they bring him back somehow?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Megatron118

I’d presume that Cap just told Red Skull to take it back lol

17. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Howard the Duck?!

• Like Like x 5
  18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  19. Megatron118

Is that real or photoshopped? So much was happening, I didn’t notice that at all

20. Whisper

Whisper "Soundwave acknowledges."

Just saw the movie and wow... What an experience! I'm super exhausted!
    I really love how everything came full circle this movie. Like 3 hours of just pure fanservice. Kinda felt like they closed each chapter of the MCU as each part of the team went back in time, I really love how it was done.

Tony's arch, oh my God. I've always liked him, but now after this movie he is my favorite hero tied with cap. I could probably gush all day about this, but basically any time Tony was on screen, it was absolute perfection!

And f**k yes! Cap weilding mjolnir? And Thor saying "I knew you could do it!"? Genuinely awesome! I just felt like I was reliving all the peaks of the MCU all over again. Really genius how they pulled that off! This definitely lived up to the hype in my opinion.
    Okay, this section isn't about "bad" stuff as much as it is about my confusion. Call me a sadist, but I would've loved to see more permanent bloodshed, particularly with 1 character at least. Especially given that the plan was to retire this hero from service anyways.

In the last 10-ish minutes, we see the sequence with cap and the infinity stones (to put them back in place). I'm just really confused at this part, as he's supposed to bring the stones back in order to close all alternate futures/timelines, but in doing his "mission" he creates a new one where he lives and entire lifetime with Peggy (I think)? Did I get my facts correct? If so, I'm SUPER confused as to how that could happen.

I feel like if they killed him off in the final battle with thanos, it may have made a much cleaner story, with the same outcome overall of Sam Wilson becoming the next "Captain America". Sure, it's not the happiest happy ending, but I think I would've at least liked it more, as it would've been the sacrifice the character has been building up to by this point. Plus, living the family life was something Steve established he couldn't do:

"I don't know... Family, stability... A guy went into the ice wanting all that 75 years ago. I think someone else came out."
    "You okay?"
    "I'm home."
    (Quote from the end of Age of Ultron).

Like I said, maybe it's just me not seeing the full picture, but as it stands right now that's my only big gripe about the movie. Most likely this is just me digging way too deep into the movie. Unfortunately that's all the issues I really have? Other than that there's not much I can think of? Apart from marvel wrecking my bladder for having to hold it in for three hours. Yeah, that's always fun. But it was worth it though! :D 
    So well sh*t, this is the end of an era. I'm still trying to process everything that's happened.
    I went into this movie thinking I'd be basically done with the MCU, and while I feel like marvel is trying to tie me to their future movies and shows own a little more, I'm starting to get a little burned out of this superhero gig. The GOTG still have my interest for volume 3, and I still have quite a bit of interest in Spiderman sequels, but after that I think I'm all burned out. It's not a bad thing though, and it's not that anyone has done anything wrong. People grow and change, and maybe this is just me growing and changing as a person. The MCU movies will always hold a special place in my heart, as some are probably my favorite movies of all time. But I think that now is a good time to give it all a rest for a long time. Part of the journey is the end.

It's hard to picture an MCU without 3 of the originals, but for the most part I'm happy with how they treated the original 6. Thor joining the guardians was a little predictable, but that's not a bad thing. He had so much chemistry with the guardians that I'm glad he's now a part of it.

I didn't read too much of the backlog of the thread (100 pages? You guys are crazy lol!) But I noticed that some people were bothered by Nat and Tony's deaths. I personally had no issue with them, and I think not having any main character deaths probably would've invalidated any stakes the franchise had going onwards, so I think they made the right call personally.

I'm happy for Hawkeye, despite not being the biggest fan of happy endings. I heard they were making a Disney+ series about him? I think if that was the plan, this was the best way they could've done it. I'm just confused as to what banner will do, but I'm pretty sure that he's got a set path to follow, with wonderful adventures awaiting him!

And well Tony, Nat and Steve most likely won't show up in future movies, but I've already talked about each of them. Like I said, it's hard to imagine them gone, but I have no doubt marvel will pull off whatever challenges they face in the future. I may be burned out, but I have faith that marvel will keep going strong as the mcu continues to grow.

Edit: filled in the blanks.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 6