Avengers (4): Endgame - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Endgame crosses $3B, the world watches the sun rise on a grateful universe. And then we say to Marvel “You can rest now.”

• Like Like x 9
  2. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

With regards to the soul gem

They could have just kept it. Thanos from that timeline is dead so he won't be after it. They could have tried a way to figure out how to get Black Widow back from the stone.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess they could bring Nat back, it's just that I hope they don't go that route. We got a good sacrifice in the movie, and I'd rather not undo that. Plus, there's so much backstory of Nat that could be explained in a prequel that I'd rather have that than a sequel. I'm just not a fan of undoing permanent deaths.

But yeah, I would like to see how cap dealt with that. I'm kinda picturing something like this:

"Welcome, Steven, son of ---"
    "You know me?"
    "It's good to see you again, Captain"
    "..."
    "..."
    "Oh you've got to be shitting me!"

*Whacks red skull with mjolnir off the cliff*
    This is beautiful

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  4. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!
    Quick quips...
    No wonder Ned Leeds was easy to brainwash into the Hobgoblin. He was held back at school for five years.

It was sad seeing Thanos finished off like that. I was rooting for him.

Two screenshots I want posters of is when Thanos tells the horde to attack and when the women of Marvel help Spidey.

Thought there was going to be a colourless Vision.

I think it was more important the hammer got returned in Caps last mission.

I guess Guardians 3 has to tidy up their own credit teaser, and Thor could be in it fighting Him for the epilogue.

And where was Captain Marvel?

Oh and does that mean Cap kissed his daughter when all his sidekicks were crammed in that VW in Civil War?

Now something a little longer...

I think it was a missed opportunity they didn’t do something like they did with Spider-Man. Didn’t they just bring the X-men and Fantastic Four back home? Imagine teasing those in some way. The Infinity Gauntlet did start in the Silver Surfer, an FF character. And Doom is actually more suited to time travel stuff than Stark or Banner. It would have been a riot to cameo Hugh Jackman or Cyclops some how. Scarlet Witch could have been a great catalyst for bringing the X-men in or teasing the next possible chapter in the MCU.
    [​IMG]

This is clearly only the first chapter for the MCU, but I guess it’s nice to have a start and finish. They’ve now got a formula they can only refine. Endgame felt like a solid and safe ending. I enjoyed it, but I wanted something more exciting and spectacular to be unveiled. The best was who was worthy. That was such a nice surprise. That should have been a gimme, but it wasn’t on my radar because Mjolnir wasn’t on my radar.

The end also reminded me of the movie The Final Countdown where an aircraft carrier travels back in time through some Bermuda Triangle and end up at Pearl Harbour. Did they ever mention that movie? This whole movie seemed to be about breaking all the premises set by time travel movies.

Most of all, the movie brought back what I loved when I read the Avengers as a kid. The crossovers, and in particular with the Avengers, the cross time capers. Three stories stick out.

I got hooked into Marvel during the Secret Wars 2 crossovers. What a gimmick that was, but there was one crossover at the time that really stuck from an Avengers and a Fantastic Four annual. Both out on their own team adventures in space, and suddenly half way through they break a wall and merge stories.
    [​IMG]

The second was in Westcoast Avengers when they could only go backwards in time, and met Marvel’s Wild West, then further back and like Endgame actually “behind the scenes” of not one but two classic tales told decades earlier. One of the original Fantastic Four time travel story in ancient Egypt against King Tut. And the other involving an old Doctor Strange story I’m less familiar with, but hey he has the time stone, so why not.
    upload_2019-4-28_14-35-21.jpeg

The third was a more recent story by Busiek, Avengers Forever, where select Avengers were plucked through time to fight some timekeepers. In it, three distinct characters through Marvel history were suddenly merged as one (is this like a retcon?). There are layers and layers of Marvel history referenced in this 12 issue series, and I highly recommend this story.
    upload_2019-4-28_15-4-23.jpeg

Good memories. Good movie. Nice ending. Satisfied.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  5. Megatron118

News Credits:
    No, he wasn’t kissing his relative. In the timeline he stayed with Peggy in, Sharon might not have even been born bc she ended up with Steve. And it’s not Steve’s true timeline, so it’s all well and good

• Like Like x 1
  6. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

The multiverse is quick with this one.

Also, who made Friday the successor to Jarvis (was that Bettany in Endgame?)? That’s a Heinlein fan there. Gotta follow his stuff.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  7. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

Agent 13 is Peggy Carter's niece, not daughter. The new timeline does not interfere with that.

• Like Like x 3
  8. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    Disney+
    I just remembered there's supposed to be a Wandavision show on Disney+. So unless it's an Infinity War prequel, which would be pretty lame IMO, Vision will have to be resurrected somehow. Maybe Shuri can fix him? My prediction is it'll kind of be like Cyberverse S1 where Vision has lost his memory and Wanda helps him get it back. But either way, I'm looking forward to it. Always enjoyed those two for the little screen time they had.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Flapjacks

Flapjacks Well-well-well Member

One more thing

Iron Man did better against Thanos with 4 infinity stones than he did with this Thanos. He just got thrown around here and to think he has an upgraded armor as well.

10. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Thoroughly enjoyed this despite the long run time. The movie itself was a fantastic treat to the last 10 years of films and it was awesome seeing the ensemble of the whole MCU cast at the same time. The last 45 minutes of the movie was a roller coaster of a ride. Looking forward to where they will go from here.

In regards to certain characters' status, like the comics, I personally doubt it will remain permanent. They will eventually return in one form or the other later if the story serves it well...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Short version, simply amazing.

My favorite scenes are
    Cap in the elevator
    Cap vs Cap with older Cap getting annoyed at his own catch phrase
    Cap using Mjonir to fight Thanos
    The women crying over Thor's giant gut
    Hulk using the stairs
    Thanos kicking everyone's ass without the gauntlet
    the discussion about time travel movies

Oh, and not a spoiler, but they actually made Hawkeye cool.
    :jawdropper: 
    I want a movie on THAT version. Captain Marvel was hands down the worst part of the film.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel like that's the route they're gonna take with it. I always felt like vision was bound to come back one way, as while he would lost all memories in the process, he could still be rebuilt without the mind stone. Would make for an interesting story.

I still probably wouldn't watch it though as I'm not a fan of love stories. Plus I'm a cheapskate, and so I probably won't get Disney+ lol

13. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Well before the whole drama started, James Gunn did said GOTG Vol 3 will be about Gamora, now seeing we have another Gamora, this implies GOTG 3 will deal with the Gamora from 2014 and he knew what was going to happen in Endgame

• Like Like x 3
  14. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I'm about to go and see it for the second time. I am looking forward to seeing it again, despite not enjoying it the first time.

15. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't Red Skull say back in Infinity War that he was cursed to watch over the soul stone until someone can take it?

So that basically means they wouldn't meet at all because he was free to leave that place after it was claimed.
    Therefore we have another alternate timeline like with what happened to Loki escaping at the end of the Battle of New York, but now the Red Skull is loose.

16. Megatron118

News Credits:
    He hadn’t been in combat in 5 years, so....

• Like Like x 2
  17. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I don't think they did. That and the other changes to history make me want to see movies set in these new timelines. What's going to happen in the reality where Loki takes the Tesseract, or the one where Gamora doesn't join the Guardians of the Galaxy, or the one where Steve reunited with Peggy? Those would make for some pretty interesting "What If..." scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't even know where to begin.

*sigh*

The plot holes, they are aplenty.

And all of this hullabaloo with Captain Marvel/Brie Larson?
    She's utterly pointless. She had maybe 5 minutes of screentime in a 3+ hour movie? Her biggest claim to fame? Preventing Thanos from headbutting her and he still slapped her around pretty good.
    She needs to dial it back and be reined in. Good grief, she's ridiculous if this is all we have to look forward to.

I find it hard to swallow that we had Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and Pepper Potts, all of whom are strong women and established characters and well...
    they're all pushed aside to make room for Okoye (whom I do like a great deal, but she ain't no Avenger), Valkyrie (who is being set up as the female Thor) and Captain Marvel who did f'all in both her movie and Endgame. I mean, I know the Soul stone requires a soul for it to be obtained, but after all these years they just chuck Nat over the cliff like a piece of garbage (symbolically) and just showcase the new chick Avengers.
    It really didn't sit well with me. At all. (I'm not alone.)

The plot hole of
    bringing everyone back 5 years later
    undoes a lot of what they set up in the first hour and how they wasted a good scene pushing an agenda (much like I talked about above) in which
    the Russo brother plays a Gay man in the survivors group and (which they admit they put the scene in to have a character represent the LGBTQ+ community)
    and it's a SOLID scene. I don't care what side of the issue you come down on, it was a tasteful, well acted, touching and ultimately heartbreaking scene. You literally felt for this guy and this wave of sadness hit me as I listened to his tale. I actually put my head down for a second and closed my eyes. It was such a human and humane scene. It didn't seem to pander, it didn't seem forced, it was natural and fluid. And then...
    realizing his pain and agony and that of his date's is about to be undone because those who've been gone for 5 years are about to suddenly reappear out of nowhere and all of the feeling of that scene then becomes pandering because they admitted they put it in to push an agenda and it cheapens it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he and his date will have their loves back, everyone will, but part of the impact of that scene was that you felt his pain. I would've been perfectly fine if they had put the scene elsewhere in the film where Steve could've told him not to give up hope, it's going to be alright, etc. I know people will lambaste me for this, I'll get PMs or something, but it did ruin the scene for me after the fact. It was such a touching scene, and the fact that he was Gay just showed we're all human regardless of what side of the issues we're on and they robbed it of that by leaving you with "wait... Some of these people have moved on/gotten married, etc. Some probably killed themselves out of unbearable suffering and sadness and their loved ones will return to... This. This mess.

I would've been perfectly fine if the guy had been leading the group and his mate was lost prior to the snap. Pre-existing grief and it would've been even more impactful if he could give hope to Captain America, who needed it in that moment more than ever. Either natural causes or the attack in NYC, so he was leading the group and his moving moment wasn't robbed of its impact because it's undone in the end.

I liked his moment, it deserved better.

I also don't understand why they decided to
    kill Natasha, who found a family and redemption in the Avengers, but Clint who became a murderer, basically a serial killer of bad guys, gets his family back?? And why bring everyone back at this point in time? 5 years later? Why? And their subpar explanation of how time and travel through it works was just garbage. It was a muddled mess. Rhodey had the right idea... Kill Thanos as a baby. (Nice of Disney/Marvel to give a Deadpool nod. Maybe they're going to be alright as overlords...) Because they returned the stones to their respective times... There are other adult Thanos...es throughout the past and what's to stop him from rehatching this plan and trying again? Killing him before he loses his mind will prevent the plan from ever getting into motion to begin with.

They were so focused on fan service, getting the conclusion they wanted (they wanted it to end exactly as it did, no take backs, no quitsies, etc...) and they botched more or less everything else, storywise, in pursuit of what makes it pop, look pretty and tie it up in a bow that's barely holding together.

You can tell there's more of a movie, here, but they had to cut the crap out of it to get it to fit in the can.

That's the biggest shame.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Watching it tomorrow. Looking forward to more Thanos

20. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    More I think about the ending, the more it falls apart.
    Whole point of the talk with the ancient one was to demonstrate how the teams actions of taking the stones out of their respective realities would affect said realities. Like there's a reality where Loki took off with the tesseract, or guardians never forming. Then how the fuck did Cap return as an old man? Sure he lived his life then he could give the shield to Sam in a reality, but it's not the main one. And I don't think he found another quantum portal just to make that last trip. Even if he did, that's not what the movie implied.