Autobots that we’rent in the ‘86 Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by setsuna, May 26, 2019.

1. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

Tracks, Skids, Smokescreen, Bluestreak, Hoist, Grapple, Sideswipe, Trailbreaker, Gears, Powerglide, Seaspray, Beachcomber, Warpath. What happened to these bots and where were they?

I know Red Alert, Mirage and Huffer had offscreen deaths or were scripted to die in deleted scenes. All the Autobot combiners were apparently defending The Ark from other Decepticon Combiners in the comic?

Sunstreaker was everywhere in the movie but never seen again after the movie?

Does anyone know or have an answer?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

I think Rodimus Primal YouTube Video gives a good explanation (no definitive answer for most of them).

Seaspray and Warpath were in S3. But for the bigger vehicles cars, I think they all died.

Mainly because I hate to think they were usurped by the likes of Wheelie and Blurr.

Hopefully, some Decepticons seekers other than Starscream did some of the damage, as they always seem to be portrayed as just dumb villians.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

The season 2 minibots continued making appearances in season 3, but stopped appearing after a couple of episodes.

4. ArcanielRE3

ArcanielRE3 Honorary Autobot

If you ask me, anyone who wasn't seen in or after after the movie, died off-screen.

They were probably killed during either the Battle on Autobot City, or when Unicron attacked Cybertron in the film's climax.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GuardianofIaconCity

GuardianofIaconCity TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Years ago, a script was floating around with some of them appearing in the movie. I believe Gears got blown up when Galvatron returned to Autobot City.

6. Distant1

In the final cut or script, I believe Gears remained on one of the Moonbases so probably died inside Unicron before Spike, Jazz, Cliffjumper and Bumblebee were saved.

When Galvatron first came to Earth I wonder how many of the Autobots who were never heard by the audience again survived longer than Optimus Prime but died in the attempt to evacuate Autobot City.

I kind of think that Blaster just transformed in human-sized cassette player to avoid being killed, until the Decepticons left.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Likely, some were probably killed/died in the years after B.O.T. all the way leading up to 2005. It wasn't just a switch that flipped on New Year's 2005 that the Decepticons became a deadly threat.

I like to think that was the case.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Distant1

Agree, from what I have researched on the movie, I have never seen any reference to Hoist, Inferno and Skids in the movie. I like to think that at least one or two of those three died before the movie and Optimus Prime sought to replace them with new Autobots (I like to think Hot Rod and Blaster's tapes and maybe some of the small Autobots like Outback or Pipes).

9. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Well-Known Member

Production issues. Same reason Devastator seems like a big deal in the movie but the other combiners aren't there at all.

10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It began production in late season one, before season two. The characters were mostly not there, when the script was being made.

11. Bebe13

Bebe13 Well-Known Member

Where was Jetfire?

12. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

Relegated to not appearing because they were secretly terrified that Bandai would sue.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Bebe13

Bebe13 Well-Known Member

Damn! He’s the biggest omission for me and he’d have made a big difference.

14. Liege Nemesis

The G1 production bible explicitly stated that Jetfire had been renamed to "Skyfire" specifically because of the whole Bandai/Macross connection and dubious legal situation surrounding his usage, and that he was off-limits except in small amounts and only if absolutely necessary (which honestly doesn't explain his whole debut episode given how he was in so much of it and was so vitally important, but the timeline for when this bible was made/last updated doesn't make a ton of sense given some of the awkward and contradictory info it presents.)

TFArchive - Transformers Cartoons - Transformers Production Bible

15. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

But sideswipe, sunstreaker and Bluestreak :( 

16. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Didn't bluestreak die in first shuttle with the others? Or was prowl the only one on the shuttle? Don't remember seeing sideswipe but sunstreaker was alive uptill Optimus primes grand entrance to the battle.

17. Hawkmother

Hawkmother Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wasn't their secondary media confirming Menasor and Bruticus lead a splinter force attack on the Ark, only to be deterred by Superion, Defensor and Omega Supreme.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That would of made a good scene in the movie

• Like Like x 2
  19. GuardianofIaconCity

GuardianofIaconCity TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It looks like Bluestreak is on the ground with Kup. The Autobots on the shuttle are Prowl, Ironhide, Ratchet, and Brawn.

IDW released a comic with a panel showing Menasor and Bruticus attacking the Ark. I think they released them in four parts, but you should be able to find them in a collected version.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Liege Nemesis

Nope. Like Gunslinger said above, the shuttle was just Brawn, Prowl, Ratchet, and Ironhide. Bluestreak shows up with Kup, Huffer, and Hound when Hot Rod and Daniel crash through the roadblock. TFWiki's page on Bluestreak claims that he's missing his shoulder cannons for this blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance, making it look like they just used Prowl's character model and recolored it, but I honestly can't tell even when trying to watch the scene in slow motion because he's just so tiny and all the bots are drawn without a ton of extraneous detail.

That was just the IDW Movie adaptation. I know some of the stuff in it was alleged to come from scripts and storyboards that was cut from the final movie release, but I also remember that somewhere (I can't remember where) it was specifically discussed by people working on the movie that production started at or near the beginning of season 2 before they had introduced most of the second wave of characters like the post-Devastator combiners and Omega Supreme. So I presume that means their inclusion in the IDW version of the story was more of a nod to the lack of later characters in the movie by creating something for them to do. Whether or not it confirms anything mostly depends on whether you want to take IDW stuff as canon or not (a tricky sell given the minefield that is trying to make any sort of unified canon out of G1 materials), especially given that the adaptation was written by Bob Budiansky instead of any of the guys involved in the actual movie script.

You can sometimes still find the TPB of their movie adaptation online, though it appears to be getting pricier in some places. Amazon.com has it being sold by a 3rd party and wanting $40 US for it

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Animated-Adaptation-Bob-Budiansky/dp/1600100511/

Here's the page in question though:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2