Auto Assembly 2012 Convention Exclusive Lithograph Unveiled

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Simes, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is turning into one of those threads where I have to just start sadly shaking my thread over the notion that the Marvel UK comics didn't have good art.

2. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just wait, next they'll be saying Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko sucked and that their art was "crap".

3. Simes

Simes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here at Auto Assembly, we like to keep our finger on the pulse of the Transformers community and we have noticed that our recent announcement regarding our convention exclusive lithograph has caused quite a storm! So we thought we would come back to quickly dispel some fears that you may have about this exclusive and correct a couple of (understandable) misconceptions…

As many have pointed out, Marvel G1 artist Jeff Anderson has purposefully drawn the art the way he has to evoke the early Marvel comics run and we can’t thank him enough for his work and the same goes to colourist Kris Carter for his excellent use of colour. Whilst it’s clear that there are quite a few negative feelings toward the art – which we won’t hide from – there have been many positive messages posted on social media sites too. So, just like the Marvel art of old, the fan base is divided! If nothing more, it is nice to see the fan base so vocal and passionate about this issue – because we care and we are glad to see you care too.

Many have asked us about the choice of artist. For the record, we are very happy that an esteemed artist such as Jeff agreed to lend his time to this free giveaway piece for all of our attendees. He didn’t have to, and we are very grateful to him. As for whether another artist could have been approached – that is a difficult area for us; sadly, we are given to believe that Hasbro has restricted artists currently contracted to working for IDW Publishing from producing any work for unofficial events or fan organisations such as ours. As a result, another high profile artist had to abandon the project not too long ago after his involvement was sadly vetoed. We are therefore incredibly grateful to Jeff, who stepped in to help us in our hour of need.

Nevertheless, in spite of everything we say above, we don’t want our attendees to go home with a piece of art they are not entirely happy with. We value your opinion and it is extremely important to us that you have the best convention experience possible. Therefore, we have taken it upon ourselves to make the lithograph into a fully reversible piece! One side will contain the Jeff Anderson artwork and the reverse will contain another piece of artwork which we are hoping to announce in the coming week. This way, fans who are not entirely satisfied with Jeff’s reimagining of his Galvatron artwork from Target: 2006 can simply turn the litho over and have a second piece to display. And likewise, fans who are happy with this first piece of artwork still get to have it on their walls.

We hope this extra measure has gone some way to show that that we want to listen and take on board your comments and suggestions.

The Auto Assembly Team

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well YEAH. They didn't put enough hinges in their robots' fingers or lensflare effects in their eyes.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not at all. That thread was full of hatred towards the artist more so than the work. While some of Liefield's stuff is bad, much of it I enjoy. I have said nothing personal against the artist who drew this piece in fact quite the opposite. But I still do not like this art and think it is a swing and a miss.

6. O.Supreme

O.Supreme Defender of the Ark

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I realize it is all opinion, but just know this. I was 10 years old in 1984, and I started reading the marvel Comic with issue #9 (Starscream/Circuit Breaker Story) So I've been around a while. I remember back on alt.toys.tf when people used to rave about the UK comics, so much that I put a LOT of effort into finding them. Finally at my first BC in 1998, I foudn a few individual issues. I'm sorry but I was sorely disappointed. I guess its just nto my style. Having Transformers look lke they were colored by crayon. and I know this is heresey in some circles, but Simon Furman isn't that great a writer. In fact I Stopped reading US Transformers around issue 60 or so back in the day, and only picked up back issues years later for completeness sake, not that I ever read them. I'm sorry the UK TF just dosen't "do it" for me. I recognize that everyone has their own opinion, but those that go around professing that it is so much better than the Marvel US run, or the original animated series really need to be a bit more level headed. I'm not saying people cant have their favorites, but the elitism of some fans I just dont get.

If the Litho was meant to capture the feel of TF UK, it did just that. Would I buy it? No- Thats just me. Was I overjoyed when I first saw that Pred vs Superion/Defensor Litho back in 03' or 04' when it came out? Yes indeed. I guess its just more my style.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    The important thing here is that the AA team have heard the feedback, and have adjusted the print to be double-sided with another image for those who dislike it.

The price for attending AA has remained very stable for the last few years (contrary to Botcons seemingly limitless raises) even as the convention has grown and we get more bang for our buck, and last year we didn't have a lithograph, this year we do. To me, while it's not a free litho, it is included in the price.

The fact that they have responded to feedback and adjusted the "included in the price" litho at no extra cost should be the story here.

8. blurrr-ed

blurrr-ed Well-Known Member

The work the AA guys do to provide such a good experience should be commended. Im not a massive fan of the artwork as i was never a big fan of the original comics, but i respect the work that went in to it.

The argument of we pay money therefore we have the right to criticise (or bitch and moan like children in some cases) is flawed. you pay the money to attend the EVENT, you dont pay the money for the attendee FREEBIES, they are things provided by the convention organisers as souvenirs and as a thank you to the fans, not the sole reason for attending. This 'If im going to pay money then i have a right to expect the best' mentality is tiresome, and its a sign of how much these guys care that theyre going to commission a second side to the poster

9. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

The artwork, as has been said, is an homage to the Marvel UK artwork from the 80s. Therefore I think it's a good piece, and extremely nostalgic for me personally. If you have a different opinion, that's fine too. It'd be a boring world if we all thought the same thing.

However, the sense of entitlement that some people seem to have about this worries me slightly.

10. Alooulla

Alooulla Decepticon

Another piece on the reverse? Gosh what a wonderful thing to do. I look forward to seeing it, and i think even if i dont like it, i'll keep that to myself, as i dont see what else they could do. I had no idea it was difficult to get actual IDW artists to provide the artwork (even if they wanted to) but i suppose it makes sense. Botcon is offical, auto assembly is not.

Whilst i do not like Marvel UK (or US for that matter) transformers art, thats not the same thing as saying its terrible art. I didn't 'like' Don Figeuroa's change to the movie aesthetic of the later 'all hail Megatron' comics, but that doesn't mean it wasn't exceptionally well done.

11. Alooulla

Alooulla Decepticon

By the way, forgot to mention, the convention lanyards were also in my mind, which i think look great indeed.

12. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kudos to the AA team for providing another work on the other side of the litho. I didn't really have any problem with Jeff Anderson's dark and moody piece but this shows the organizers are trying to please as many fans as possible. I also appreciate that this will be shipped separately to non-attendees like myself to protect the art at no additional cost. Though I was admittedly lured in by the Marlboor head exclusive, the care and attention shown to the bonuses such as the signed comic book and this lithograph makes me glad I ordered a set.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure what package you are ordering but the non-attendees pack that I can order costs money. Money that goes to pay for the costs of the 'freebies'. One of which is the print in question. So yes, if I'm paying money for something I expect a certain level of quality to go along with. I don't see it with this print. If you do, good for you. And kudos to AA for listening to the criticisms and opinions and making a change.