Austria-Hungary Declared WAR on Serbia!..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wolfguard, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    I can appreciate the effort, but a more truer sense would have been to give them a newspaper, or go knock on their door and start yelling about it because, you know, you're now in an excited state of mind. People back then did not have the internet. If it were the same today, they wouldn't have known much of what is going on in Israel vs Palestine, Iraq vs ISIS unless it was in the newspaper. There'd be only one or two sources or so they'd read from in a 24 hour period. They wouldn't have constant updates, or even this discussion thread.

And yeah, the history is important to us all. It lead to an even greater disaster almost 30 years after it ended. It helped shape future wars to practically unimaginable casualties and losses and methods of fighting that previously were not thought to be possible. Just like with the invention of gunpowder. However, if people aren't interested in history, more than likely, your efforts will just fall on deaf ears.

2. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Why stop there? Even more truer would be if we all had outhouses and had one or even no cars per household.

C'mon now - I'm talking about that initial feeling, as if it were right now when you initially read it.

But it's since been mod-changed anyways, so history becomes what it usually is...

What people choose to do (or not do) with the information provided isn't the point. To provide it, to offer it, is. NOT trying to be informative about the significance of this day would have been a far greater sin...

3. Wolfguard

Can you just change the whole thing to World War I Centennial - July 28th 2014. The way it is now is just, well...non-impacting.

4. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    That was the whole point of my post. If you wanted to emulate the initial feeling people had when they first heard of World War I breaking out, using a suggestive title on an internet discussion forum isn't really going to help you achieve your desired effect.

There's plenty of ways to inform people of the events that took place in history, but you had to have known how people would have reacted on the "internet" to such suggestive titles.....given even the history of how people react to other suggestive titles in the past on these very forums.

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Just let this thread play out, either folks will be interested in history or not...and will post accordingly...... no need to try for mega shock value after 100 years.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  6. Wolfguard

----

I did the exact same thing when I posted the Frans Ferdinand thread one month ago, yet it didn't spiral into the negativity seen in here today. Coincidentally, it took a month for the war to start. It would seem aspects of history certainly do repeat, even on a scale such as this...

:/

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Now Moonman is gonna back Split Lip and Burnout is gonna back Wolfguard and so on until like half the boards are just GOING AT IT in this thread.

8. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

World War 1 is one of my favorite parts of history to study. I would really like to visit the battlefields in Europe one day.

Chuck

9. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah same here. I know this may sound morbid, but I really want to go see the spots where all the trenches were dug. I also want to see the spots where all the airfields were based.

10. Zula

Zula Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the post and links. I especially liked the superimposed photos piece.

Funny thing, though.
    Your post title caught me for a second, given the state of the world today, and the relatively recent history of that region, my first thought was: 'Oh crap, waht is Russia up to now?'
    Then right after I remembered that Austria-Hungary isn't a country anymore, but was back in 1918. Then everything clicked.

That reminds me, one of our local newspapers is putting out a special broadsheet edition, in coommeration of this event, about the First and Second World Wars.
    I wanted to get a couple copies. I'll have to check if it's out today of scheduled for this weekend.
    Thanks for the reminder. :) 

11. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

They still have some sections of the trenches up. I wish there was as much personnel accounts as WW2 seemed to have and more on the average soldiers of countries other than Germany, France, and Britain.

Chuck

12. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i honestly do not remember if i studied WW1 in any of my history classes.

but i looked up info about it and wondered if there are any movies about WW1.

100 years. every soldier that were in that war are dead. kinda leaves me in awe and sad.

13. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head is Sergeant York and All Quiet on the Western Front.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Best Movie about world war I is All quiet on the western front. Told from the German perspective but its damned good.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Also Lawrence of Arabia, Paths of Glory and Gallipoli.

BBC's The Great War is the best documentary series on the topic if anyone wants to learn in video form for reals, basically the WW1 equivalent of The World at War. Obviously can't link, but I see that somebody has uploaded the whole series to a very popular video website.

16. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    There were some that weren't widely known. I remember seeing one about the Red Baron (Manfred von Richtofen), and then there was Fly Boys. There's also War Horse, Battle Ground. Much of WW1 was known through either the trench warfare or the war in the skies.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  17. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    The Battle of the Somme - July 1 - July 18th 1916. Over 1,000,000 KIA. Over 4,000,000 wounded in action.

The introduction of Teufel Hunden ( Devil Dogs ) to the USMC.

The 2nd Division ( Proud member of the Indian head!) was the first and only split USA/USMC combat unit in American History. ( only time that USMC was in command of Army troops ( glad that didn't last long :D )The 2nd division split into the 2nd Infantry Division -Army and 4th Marine Brigade

FYI a brigade is between 3000-4500 troops.

18. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    You know....I wonder if someone would do a film about "Bloody April."

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Paschendale.

20. King Kaiser

King Kaiser BEARS!!!!

Except for a crap ton of African countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.