ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

I think the only truth is that no "official" statement has been released. Hasbro and Funpub are letting the fan sites do their dirty work for them. And they fell for it. Enough he said, she said crap. Hasbro and Funpub love using the word "official" right ??? So make it official on your own websites and stop using the fan sites members like a bunch of tools.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Pete works for FunPub. Anything he posts on the boards would hold up in court as an official response. He represents them, so once it's put down in text, it's binding.

3. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    Hasbro needs to get their heads out of their asses. That's all there is to it.

/end of story

4. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Guy actually has a good point though. All this should be posted on the official website(s), if in fact it is not there already.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Was the ban itself ever officially posted on their website?

6. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I recall that the initial concern came from a line in the convention brochure.

7. phantomfharlock

phantomfharlock Well-Known Member

Racer_x makes an excellent point. Why do you have a fan club website if not to inform people in a coherent fashion about fan club goings on? Why am I paying money for a website that, if it's not being used as a place to sell me stuff at a markup (and if someone wants to tell me about the real value of msrp yaddayadda then I have to counter with why would a club with a high level connection to hasbro need to charge a markup when they should be leveraging their connections with the mothership to draw people to a site that SHOULD be at days end the extension of the expression of a brand with a quarter century pedigree.

Where does the fan club deliver me information about a hobby I spend a lot of money on? Whynis it not the go to destination for the fans? How did the fan club, sponsored by hasbro ever become an afterthought? If the fan club was considered a primary and relevant source of information, I tend to wonder how far this third party nonsense would have gone in the first place...

Before you shoot this down think seriously here. Yeah the information would have gotten in our hands eventually, but it certainly wouldn't be considered With the same tone as official hasbro photography or press releases. It's very likely that some or all of these items might not have had the same reach without the likes of tfw and other sites, places which are daily destinations for the real updates in lieu of a hasbro sponsored source we drop 40+ a year on... And given the sycophantic nature of the tf community, they might have died on the vine.

But tfcc is like the last place I go to for news or photos. It's a place to buy stuff that I can generally find on clearance last year. With all the problems in management and organization this current regime has had it seems to me that they're ripe for a change in management.

I doubt anyone from hasbro reads this stuff... Heck it's fairly obvious they don't look at the fan club page unless there's a major credit card issue and maybe not even then...

But hasbro? If a company came to you with an organized plan to properly harness the Internet to manage the thousands of brand evangelists across your legacy properties in a cohesive manner while simultanously producing domestic fan events to galvanize support and raise awareness in the general public about hasbro brand penetration?

Please give the reins to the public portals to your billion dollar brands to them. It couldn't be worse than everything we've seen so far from these folks.

8. phantomfharlock

phantomfharlock Well-Known Member

Racer_x makes an excellent point. Why do you have a fan club website if not to inform people in a coherent fashion about fan club goings on? Why am I paying money for a website that, if it's not being used as a place to sell me stuff at a markup (and if someone wants to tell me about the real value of msrp yaddayadda then I have to counter with why would a club with a high level connection to hasbro need to charge a markup when they should be leveraging their connections with the mothership to draw people to a site that SHOULD be at days end the extension of the expression of a brand with a quarter century pedigree.

Where does the fan club deliver me information about a hobby I spend a lot of money on? Whynis it not the go to destination for the fans? How did the fan club, sponsored by hasbro ever become an afterthought? If the fan club was considered a primary and relevant source of information, I tend to wonder how far this third party nonsense would have gone in the first place...

Before you shoot this down think seriously here. Yeah the information would have gotten in our hands eventually, but it certainly wouldn't be considered With the same tone as official hasbro photography or press releases. It's very likely that some or all of these items might not have had the same reach without the likes of tfw and other sites, places which are daily destinations for the real updates in lieu of a hasbro sponsored source we drop 40+ a year on... And given the sycophantic nature of the tf community, they might have died on the vine.

But tfcc is like the last place I go to for news or photos. It's a place to buy stuff that I can generally find on clearance last year. With all the problems in management and organization this current regime has had it seems to me that they're ripe for a change in management.

I doubt anyone from hasbro reads this stuff... Heck it's fairly obvious they don't look at the fan club page unless there's a major credit card issue and maybe not even then...

But hasbro? If a company came to you with an organized plan to properly harness the Internet to manage the thousands of brand evangelists across your legacy properties in a cohesive manner while simultanously producing domestic fan events to galvanize support and raise awareness in the general public about hasbro brand penetration?

Please give the reins to the public portals to your billion dollar brands to them. It couldn't be worse than everything we've seen so far from these folks.

9. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think this whole mess started when BotCon ranted against knock offs on their Twitter page and someone said without thinking, "BotCon is still happy to take money from vendors selling them at botcon".

10. Petes Robot Convention

Petes Robot Convention Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone that is affected by the 3rd party issue had the language in their contract.

Any artist that was initially affected by the art issue was/was going to be contacted. Officially. With an official email. Fortunately before we had to see things all the way through the ban was reversed...

There are lots of stipulations for Dealers. We don't post them directly on our website. There is, however, the language in the forms they sign for anyone to see. Just click the link and you can read the PDF. Its right here:

http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/BotCon2012Exhibitor.pdf

It has been there since REG began...

11. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Pete beat me to it, so I'll confirm that he is correct. As a dealer, my associates and I have been in direct communication with Pete and Brian through this whole process.

This is not the kind of thing that necessarily should be broadcast for everyone. Especially when the process has been evolving all along. Just look how this thread went off track. Orson started this to communicate with the other dealers. 1500+ posts later, this thread is little more than a bitch session for people who want to hate on Hasbro and FunPub.

12. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was in the dealer/vendor contract.

One of the dealers I know mentioned there was concern about it at the time they bought their booth.

Upon calls to FP, it was clarified/confirmed about the 3rd party ban, and one of the group backed out.

And I know a lot of fans & attendees don't check the BotCon site, beyond finding out where & when the hotel block goes up, and getting their registration.

So posting on the BotCon site would have done no good.

The TFCC site went down a while back, once the hack-job had become 'widespread'. And frankly, I (and others on here & on the TFCC forums) deplore the software used on the TFCC site, so we don't visit there often.

So why not post on the 3 major fan-sites, who have helped keep the interest in the franchise alive?

13. Rated X

I understand that Pete. And I do appreciate you responsding to my inquiry. As far as the contract, isnt this the same one you use every year ? It's kind of like cops saying after 10 years lets go enforce "jay walking" regulations that have never been enforced. Then they start issuing citations without any public warnings on local new stations or newspapers. And they do it on the basis that "It was in the law books all along". Legally, Hasbro has every right to do what theyre doing, but morally they have hit an all time low.

Also, this isnt just about just dealers. This is about people who already paid for tickets on the basis that they will be able to buy all Transformers related products (licensed and unlicensed) as with all previous Botcon conventions. By not making an "official" post on an "official" Hasbro or Funpub website, it becomes the equivelent of false advertising to customers. I look at pictures of previous Botcons documenting the TF Source boooth selling all kinds of cool 3rd party items, so I expect to either get that in my paid admission or get an "offical" notice that says these practices are being discontinued BEFORE I buy my ticket.

Im not even going to get into the fan art uproar, because that was just plain dumb. I commend Funpub for what ever part they played in putting an end to that stupidity. You cant have a fan convention without fan art. And artists sell art for a living. Thats what they do. Besides, they would have just gave out cards and sold their stuff outside anyways.

I support all forms of Transformers related products, licensed and unlicensed. Im a collector so my loyalty lies with the actual Transformers characters, not any corporate entity that owns copyrights or trademarks.

On the brighter side, I like what you and Brian do at Botcon. While youre corporate ties might not allow you to support 3rd party or KO figures, I dont directly blame Funpub for this uproar. I blame Hasbro. If Hasbro wants to win back collectors like me, they need to make more G1 themed figures aimed towards adult collectors. And I dont mean Botcon repaints. I mean brand new molds for obscure characters. Not Bumblebees. Maybe Hasbro should hire the TFC and Fansproject guys and open up a "Hasbro Collectors Divison". That would be a proactive approach to the 3rd party "threat". As far as KO's all I can say is listen to the fans when they say they want the Rainmakers, Sunstorm, Wildrider, Dino cassettes, etc. Make them available before they become a target. Hope my advice is taken with a grain of salt.

Peace.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :tumbleweed: 

15. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This, 150%

16. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Agreed. It's high time Hasbro starts something big for the Collectors in mind.

17. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What, 40 Generations toys (with a real scramble city combiner ta boot)... Masterpiece, Human Alliance, and Botcon/SDCC/NYCC exclusives aren't enough?

Hasbro has made figures for the collector's market for over a decade. Just because they haven't made the figure you guys want, doesn't mean they aren't making figures with the Collector in mind. Besides, you can't expect Hasbro to remake every G1 figure in one year. Jeeze, it took them 7 years to do G1. Please have some patients. Give them some time. Who knows, maybe the toy you are waiting for is one of the 40 they're making.

18. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:

Way to take what I said and run with it, man.

Generations isn't exactly what I'd call a collector oriented line. It's full retail, and not even close to what it was that I was talking about. Masterpiece figures are more along the lines, but yeah....how often do they release those?

SDCC and Botcon...yeah, that's convention stuff. And you only get it if you pay out the whazoo. Again, NOT what I was talking about.

What I was talking about, and what I gathered VAwitch was agreeing with, was a full-on "Collectors Division" at Hasbro. Where their sole job is to imagine, design and create items for the collector in mind. Better quality figures, better plastic quality, more paint apps, maybe even diecast and rubber tires. Larger figures like Masterpiece will be more common. Maybe even a chance at Alternators again. Higher than retail prices, but not "omg, I have to sell some organs" prices of convention exclusives.

That is what I was talking about. I never said I was pissed because they didn't make this and that. Nothing to do with that at all.

19. Rated X

If the Generations line was done with the collector in mind, why is it sitting on walmart shelves for $12.99 ???

When I said a "Collectors Division" I meant deluxe and voyager class figures within the $25-75 range. I also meant new molds, not repaints like Straxus to Skullgrin. Masterpiece is fine too, but it doesnt really work for collectors who care about building the G1 cast of characters in scale with each other. Hasbro has really lost the collectors to 3rd parties. Botcon is their last stand. Thats why their pulling out their big guns (legal tactics) because they cant risk utter embarrassment when some dealer displays Hercules on the table and some 10 year old kid thinks Hasbro made it. This is one big ego thing for Hasbro. They may have gotten the kids back on board thanks to Michael Bay, but they lost the group that kept the franchise alive throughout the 90's....collectors.

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not ego but safety - can't have kiddies or people buying 3rd party stuff thinking it's from Hasbro and then choking on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.