ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simes

Simes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I have been quite vocal here on this matter (normally I would avoid making comments regarding other conventions for obvious reasons but I think that everything with Botcon this year had reached the point that it warranted some form of input) but I applaud them now for listening to the fans about this issue and returning to their original stance regarding the Artists Alley.

This can be a fantastic part of any convention and while putting this right won't appease everyone for what has gone on throughout the year, it is a small step forward. I just hope they can start to learn from their mistakes in the way that they have handled things this year and be clearer about their policies in the future to avoid tempers flaring again.

2. backlash3906

backlash3906 Throttlebot

News Credits:
    I prefer to think that polite and constructive responses accomplished something. :) 

3. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Good thing it was reversed. I felt that new rule was more than just a little odd.

4. perrych17

perrych17 Well-Known Member

It is called intellectual theft. And yea, it is a real thing. And, yes, the FBI calls it stealing.
    FBI — Intellectual Property Theft

5. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

Oh let me introduce you to the wonderful world of a "dictionary"

STEAL

I draw your attention to definition number 2.

:rolleyes2 

6. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    I think MANY TF collectors prefer characters based on their alt modes. Look at all the flak the movies got for different alt modes/color schemes. Many staple characters are expected to be as close to their original alt modes as possible. Prime? Semi truck, Hound? Jeep, etc, etc, etc.... Would I buy a character I love with a diff alt mode? sure if i thought it fit him well (Animated Ultra Magnus). What im getting at is Fans and Collectors expect their TF's to look a certain way (color schemes) and have a similar alt mode with subtle changes along each line. I dont expect to see a red wheeljack that turns into a tractor, or a prowl that turns into a yellow Helicopter.

7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Good for Hasbro to have some feelings in this matter. It's nice to see common sense prevail. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes in the future. Never think it's not worthwhile to question poor decisions. If something is wrong, you should make your voice heard.

And, to a select few, get off of your white knight high horses. Once again, Hasbro doesn't care how "loyal" you are or if you will "back them to the hilt." You won't be getting a certificate in the mail for being an armchair IP lawyer or a Hasbro apologist. Or Mattel, Bandai or any other corporation. People's willingness to stick up for corporations baffles me sometimes.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I wonder how FunPub will treat those artists who canceled their tables?

I also wonder if said cancellation of the tables were a partial reason for reverting the fan art ban?

9. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I reckon so. An empty fan art area would be pretty embarassing.

Still, it's the thought that counts in my opinion. We know how they REALLY feel about it since they banned it in the first place.

Their u-turn on it, at least in my eyes, is not meant to make people feel better about the con but instead to get people to stop bailing out of their tables. Figure the $ to hold the con is probably already spent with it being so near. Issuing a bunch of refunds now PLUS the loss of attendees who have had enough of their nonsense probably didn't look appetizing.

10. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

As has been mentioned 1000 times in this thead, FP and Hasbro are two seperate entities.

Hasbro made the decision to ban selling art. FunPub has been fighting that decision the whole time. Hasbro finally relented.

FP is very happy to have artists as part of the show. The art only adds to the attraction of the show. With 3rd party toys, it could be argued they compete for sales with the licensed products, but you can't really say that with custom artwork.

11. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I never said FunPub decided to ban it.

12. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Still no "official" statement on these "bans"

I see everybody has ignored my previous post and put their trust in the middle men from fan websites giving us this information about a "3rd party ban" on dealers or artists. Im wondering if this whole thing is a giant fan hoax due to lack of official statements from Hasbro or Funpub. In other words, haters pushing an anti-3rd party agenda and Funpub playing dumb to reap the benefits. Since it's not Hasbro or Funpub's leagal obligation to read or address fan website forums, lets put the middle men on the spot.

Im calling out these middle men to share their sources.

Either:

A. Give us a link coming from an official Hasbro or Funpub website that makes this information public. (not a link to a fan website forum or twitter post)

B. Thake a photograph of the infamous e-mail to include the senders e-mail address (to prove this is coming from Brian Savage, Angie, Fun Publications etc.)

Im not saying these things dont exist, Im just calling for them to be made public to everyone.

Make it happen !!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  13. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Do you know who Pete Sinclair is? Who his employer is?

14. rework

Well, it was kind of a reply to your answer to the previous post asking how FunPub would treat the artists.

That question begs clarification that FP are not the bad guys here.

15. Secretcode

Secretcode Guilty of Cheese Crimes Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Rated_X: Are you serious? Read the thread, not to mention the several times Pete has come in here to talk about it himself.

16. Petes Robot Convention

Petes Robot Convention Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was in every contract Exhibitors signed. Can't get much more official than that...

17. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Several artists here have made mention that it put a crimp in their plans.

I have 2 friends who have sold previously @ BotCon, who called FP & verified that their non-toy & non-art items would fall under the ban, and canceled their tables. Since I help them at their table, as well as play food-gopher there is no reason for them to have lied here.

Nor, frankly, any reason for any of the other artists or craftspeople here who have responded (such as Cally, who says she called, and was told she's OK due to her stuff being considered parodies of TFs) to lie.

18. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    I still think a lot of this is due to Hasbro being butt hurt over the Asus Transformer Prime initial judgment. Legal says to defend their IP better and so they think they need to go after 3rd party and artists.

19. rework

There may actually be something to that.

Although I don't get the obsession many on this board seem to have with Hasbro's butt, articles cite that part of the reason the judge would not grand the preliminary injunction was that "Hasbro may have simply waited too long to act, thus weakening its claim of ongoing harm to its brand." Apparently Hasbro didn't act against Asus for releasing the Transformer tablet until they later added the Prime name.

So we should all thank Asus for this mess.

20. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

What? Uhhhh, No. mega bloks has been around a lot longer than that. Started showing the "not lego" pieces around the mid eighties. Lego has tried to sue them for patent infringement, and lost. Hasbro has already done the building set before as well, it was called "built to rule"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.