ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    man HASBRO HAS TO STEP IT! CAUSE 3RD PARTY IS DOING WAY BETTER THAN HASBRO(TRANSFORMRS!(PAINT,ADD ON KIT, FIGURES IT SELF ACCUATE)!!!!

PLEASE HASBRO STEP UP YOUR GAME!!!! THIS IS NOT THE 80'S ANYMORE WHERE THE PAINT APPS ARE NOT SO GOOD THIS IS THE YEAR 2000'S THERE SHOULD BE MORE PAINT APPS I THIK!

2. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Well, certainly you don't want all the circus, but they did make the right decision after making the wrong one. Progress. Good job on making your voices (and more importantly wallets) heard.

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Well how about that, bitching actually accomplished something.

4. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK, time to give FP some credit, they did great in relaying how the fandom felt about the ban. Well done FP.

5. noble_prime

noble_prime Well-Known Member

What you all fail to realize is: how many.artists who canceled will say "f*** you" and still stay home. Also this convention maybe owned and ran by hasbro these days but if guys in their garage are making items we'll pay 100 for a pop......that they could sell for 20.....well lets just say that hasbro is failing. If I don't good answers to why this years con went south I'm not going to go anymore.

6. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Mother of God.

Best.

Typo.

Ever.

7. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, WIN!!!!

8. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

Well, this is a nice surprise. I kinda had a feeling this was going to be turned around eventually, but I didn't expect it would be this soon, and in time for Botcon. Hopefully the artists who cancelled their tables will be able to reclaim them. (If not, well... c'est la vie.)

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Darn nice of Hasbro to *not* stomp on those who love their product.

10. tubbsii

tubbsii KILL ALL HUMANS

i must say.... DAMN RIGHT!

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm guessing the original fanart ban may have simply been one of Hasbro's lawyers going a bit overboard. That sort of thing does happen.

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Most of the Fans Projects stuff is different enough to Hasbro to not really count as a copy as such.

City Commander isn't very much like Energon Ultra Magnus, RID Ultra Magnus, Animated Ultra Magnus or Prime Ultra Magnus or G1 Ultra Magnus and his head and face looks nothing like Magnus at all. unlike CHMS they are not miss-using logos or faking something. It's an original piece of work not based on any comic or artwork - some might say Sonicron is safe too.

13. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Will the people who canceled their booths attempt to get them back now?

14. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good that they listened. Completely understandable to not want unofficial factory produced goods on the floor... heck, if they didn't want mass produced prints sold either... also understandable. But the downright complete banhammer on ALL fan art work was a bit much. Besides really... if artists didn't at least expect to break even... why would they bother to reserve 200$ tables? Probably going to say that some lawyer went overboard, and they all just passed word down without thinking too much about it.

And this needs to be requoted just for the sake of being read. Lot of good points here methinks.

15. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Oh huzzah! :D 

16. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

3rd party ban

Im requesting for a link to an "OFFICIAL" statement on an "OFFICIAL" Hasbro or Funpub website addressing the ban. Im tired of the rumor mill from "trusted sources" or tweets from fan site members. Show me a link from a Hasbro or Funpub website. Or show us a photo of the actual e-mail coming from Brian Savage's address. Their websites dont even aknowledge the bans existance. Every source of information about this ban originates from a fan site or those directly affiliated with a fan site.

Im beginning to think this whole 3rd party ban is just a fan hoax created by insiders that wish to abuse their credibility to push their own agenda. If thats the truth then of course Hasbro and Funpub will not aknowledge it "officially" and just stay quiet and reap the benefits. Maybe Im imagining things, but this "ban" crap has been going on for 2 weeks with no official statement aknowledgeing it's existance.

Im calling out whoever reported this ban on the fan sites...

Screw the tweets, and secret sources. Prove the 3rd party ban is really "official".

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  17. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humm... Hasbro never really took away artists rights to display their art, only to sell it.

Now one way to read that post is that yes, hasbro is letting them sell it like they have in the past.

But it could also mean that hasbro is simply restating that they never did take away the ability to have a table to DISPLAY artwork, just you cannot sell it. Its a very vague statement IMO.

Never the less... the damage has been done here. It will be a uphill battle to regain trust now, especially since quite a few artists were going to take a major financial hit because of this fopah, some of which probably needed the money for living expenses and supply's...

18. amberbratt

amberbratt StarSapphire21

LOL IKR, thank god for the internet, cuz we can buy stuff on line botcon is only 3-4 days, we have 360+ other days to buy things....

all that money saved on plane fare and hotels can be spent on moar toys!

19. AutobotJazz4

AutobotJazz4 Care to rock this board?

News Credits:
    A dark cloud is rising above the world famous BotCon, if you ask me. Yes... a company has right's to protect their products. That I agree upon. But the recent developments and news that has been posted here, regarding the banning of "third Party" objects on a Convention where fans come together to celebrate and enjoy that what they enjoy so much... collection toys Robot's, kinda makes me think that Hasbro doesn't want to have any competition on any ground and level, what so ever.

And then to think, that only a year ago, LEGO lost their 'Exclusive right' in making their product. Immediately Hasbro launched themselfs on that loss and made a simmular looking product called Kreons.

So my question to you all here is as follows.

Is it right that, a company as Hasbro, tries to degrade any other company that makes toy's that seem simular like Hasbro products, while at the same time they hunt down any other companies 'Exclusive Right' that's about to end and making it their own?​

I think consumers have the right to decide for themselfs what to buy where and when. A little competition never has hurt anyone, and especially nowadays, with the world plunged into deep deep financial crisis, I think that competition between brands and companies, will bring down prices in advantage to the consumers.

Besides that... I think that I speak on behave of many fans here when I say that these third Party toy's are looking much cooler, Transform better, their paintjobs and molds are looking also better then the Hasbro toys. Even the differance between Takara Tomy and Hasbro is significant. I myself was kinda dissapointed to see the "Dark of the moon" toys where smaller and less better looking then the previous Block BUster Movie toys.

20. DataCable

DataCable Bumbleholic

Negative. The originator of the idea retains possession of it, therefore it cannot possibly have been stolen.

Stealing is, by definition, physically taking something.

Just as automobile manufacturers are exploiting the success of the wheel.

That would just be silly. The BJ's Wholesale Club location nearest to Dallas is over 700 miles away, in Newnan, GA.

Curiously, this mish mash of corporate-speak doesn't explicitly state that it is permissible to sell Transformers-related artwork at the con.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.