ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodimusminor

rodimusminor Well-Known Member

Heh. I've never heard of parady being used for fair use on standard goods. Usually it's music, movies, TV shows, magazines or radio, those kind of things. Entertainment media, It'd certainly apply for the bio, but I'm not so sure about for the toy itself. There's a reason you never see Spaceball toys, Brooks new Lucas would have burried him in court, but the movie was fine.

2. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    That's what we have been doing with Dairycon exclusives for years now. ;) 

3. Che

Che Well-Known Member

:bowdown: :thumb 

4. creggar

creggar Dharma Initiative member

Ebay:
    That's just Hasbro saying "We know we suck at making cool toys that everyone wants, and are embarassed that TFC toys, Fansproject, Perfect Effect etc. make way cooler toys than we do, and when they say they are making them, they're good on their word unlike us who cancel lines left and right, or do limited releases of our toys."

5. shin_hibiki

shin_hibiki Member

Up to a point. Has/Tak obviously have the legitimate right to protect their IP. (I spend a crapload of money on their IP, and I don't particularly want to see them go out of business or anything.) Beyond that--and as many have said, the line where "that" ends unfortunately isn't always perfectly clear--you start getting into rent-seeking territory. That isn't really "competitive" advantage (obtained by providing a better product at a lower price, for example), in my mind, but rather seeking advantage by blocking out potential competitors altogether. Which doesn't necessarily benefit consumers.

6. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Blaargh just tell me what room I need to go to in order to buy HeadRobots and Knight Morpher stuff.

7. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    They cant touch china....they shut KOtoys down because thatwas direct KO of Hasbro products....the KO Botcon SG Rodimus took the cake.....

8. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    You are right :eek:  I just got carried away. Nothing pushes my buttons more than someone telling me what to do. And to be clear, I love a great deal of media associated with Hasbro's Transformers.

9. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Dealers gotta act like Dealers now....:lol 

I can see it now

Caller: Hello, 911?

911: what your emegency?

There is heavy traffic going in and out of room 112. All I hear is 600$ for this and that. People leaving with large bags

911: we will send a car.....

10. LAMBARDIO

LAMBARDIO Banned

Ebay:
    Fuck hasbro. I'm never buying from them again. I'm done with transformers unless something good comes out instead of hasbro reaching up their butts and pulling out whatever shit they want to sell to us as a show, video game, and toys.

11. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems like a catch 22, people want third party companies to continue to do the figures they do, but if they didn't do characters that conflicted with Hasbro's IP, those same people would have no interest in third party companies.

12. Autobot78

Autobot78 G1er

News Credits:
    no reason to go to botcon anymore just saved a lot of cash, screw has/tak
    i am a 3rd party collector, i only use official stuff for upgrades for the most part and have always hated hasbro business practice

13. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

This fandom is crazy. The way you guys act is like dining in a restaurant but bringing in outside food to dine in the restaurant. Of course the management is going to be unhappy.

14. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Looks like an Unmerry BotCon for the kiddies.

Heh heh... Bow-chicka-weow-weow. And from a person named "stilettoheels" too.

15. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seems totally reasonable to me, if Hasbro are the official sponsors then they want to protect their market. Yes, it sucks if you like third party toys, but you can still get those online and just enjoy the rest of BotCon. (I've never been myself but there must be something to do outside of shopping).

16. Che

Che Well-Known Member

That's not totally true, at least in my case. I buy what I think is cool and well done, independent of who the figure is supposed to be. It could be a complete strange new guy. Some of the figures I like most are not even main characters.

17. notpicard

notpicard Well-Known Member

I applaud this move.

Yes, I have bought some KOs myself, but this is way out of hand. When things like "Hercules" are released, I see people post that it is a 100% new toy. But the fact remains that since so many people are identifying it as Devastator, it is not new. It is an IP infringement.

I think what does stink is that the items created to supplement (add-on parts, not full toys) a legit Transformer are a huge benefit to the brand. They promote sales. But for as far out of hand as these KO companies have become, it is a small price to pay to make sure that Botcon remains a show about actual Transformers.

I still don't like the use of the term "3rd Party" because it implies some level of official involvement, just like a 3rd party video game or a 3rd party insurance administrator. It is a very dodgy term when the truth is that all "3rd party" items could be classified as bootlegs, knock-offs, or value-added items. It is just that people take offense to the term KO or bootleg when the item is sturdy and well-made. But that really isn't what defines a bootleg or KO.

Botcon is sounding even better.

18. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    The move makes sense. That said, Hasbro has been VERY far from the mark as far as my personal interests as of late and this move just furthers that. Crossing my fingers they've got some good generations stuff to reveal at the con or I'll continue to be disappointed in the official offerings.

19. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    What about the people who have that huge wall of shirts will they be allowed to seek those even tho it's not 50% transformers and not licensed

20. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this might be the best analogy I've seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.