ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    No, they said it violates their trademark. Which it totally does.

2. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:

1) Unregulated adult collectables are VERY MUCH NOT the same as mass market saftey regulated toys. Hasbro could not just release the stuff third party's do.

2) Hasbro is a mass market toy company, NOT a small market collectable company and they do not want to be. It is not worth it to them.

3) That DOES NOT make it ok for others to steal their Ip to do with as they will.

4) Toys take YEARS to design and produce. They cannot do it on a whim or out of spite. That is not how windmills work.

-ZacWilliam, is it THAT hard a concept that a huge well funded successful corporation knows what it's doing? Just because you don't like what it's doing does not make it wrong.

3. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Full Time Toy Designer

I don't think hasbro is going to snatch up anyone's reprolabeled transformers. THEY probably can't even tell the difference. As long as it's not something obvious- I can't see this being too enforced.

4. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah i agree, if hasbro/fp want to pursue legal actions against dealers selling 3rd party/ko it's their right, but they need to do it by the books, have the dealers remove the items/kick dealers out are perfectly fine, but if any permanent confiscation is involved, they need to get the police to come in and take them in as evidences. hasbro/fp are not government/legal agencies authorized to handle confiscation of private properties, and they're certainly not legally entitled to own or even destroy these items after confiscation. i am fine if they press charges and have the legal system confiscate, determine and destroy if the items are counterfeits, but them having the power to take private properties on their discretion is appalling on many different levels.

5. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes.

ZacWilliam, if they had someone fight back they could. And ban them from the con forever, and GOOD. They should.

6. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Thread win.

7. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So this is looking like the Botcon version of SOPA?

And does anyone really feel THAT BAD about iGear? I know they have fans, but if it comes to that, they kinda brought it on themselves.

8. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    They can't. It's a fan-run convention. Most they could do is cut their involvement.

It'd be a loss but would hardly kill the con.

10. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    So you work for Hasbro, I take it?

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    You know that is true, but online ordering is a lot bigger and easier than it was in those days. This in my view is them being scared to loose the license because of the CC Fiasco and them kissing Hasbro's Butt in this reguard.

After the Them telling me to buy a Golf Chair when THEY asked if I had accommodation issues (The Fucking State of Arizona recognizes it and gave me a Disabled Parking Permit!) Then the Credit Card BULLSHIT (that looks like it may be a full compromise of our Fun Pub Accounts according to the Hiss Tank CC Thread) and this now it may be the final Straw, I may take the hit on the Airfare and ask for a Refund of my Registration and not go.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  12. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, good thing for the SAN FRANCISCO BAY formers show in August.

13. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    If it's either made by Hasbro or TakaraTomy it is officially licensed by Hasbro or TakaraTomy, anything else is a knock off or an unofficially licenced good.

Well, as much as it IS TRUE. 3rd party figures/add on's ARE breaking copyright, and laws technically. What about costumes that are created? What about those who created statues or busts that they want to sell? Is that ALSO banned?

Thing is, they are NOT wrong for this. Imagine if at Comic con, someone sold their own fan fiction comics that had art better or on par with the pro's. Or E3, if they sold video games using official characters, but better builds or stories, continuations etc. It's their conventions, and as much as we may think it sucks. 3rd parties are lucky to have gotten away with it as long as they have

14. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Re: that fanfiction, see Japan and the doujinshi market. There's a lot of manga artists who got their start doing fancomics.

As for dealer room artist alleys, I'm honestly convinced their days as we know them are numbered, unfortunately.

15. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

If that was so, then every third party company would be bust. 100% of their sales comes from collectors.

Collectors have a larger impact on the industry than you give us credit for.

Sure, Hasbro can throw numbers at us until the cows come home about this. Fact is, they don't know their demographics anywhere as much as they or you give them credit for. Case in point, Bumblebee. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a parent telling their child that they already have a bumblebee...or when I go to a store and there are pegs full of no other character than bumblebee...they are missing their mark.

16. noble_prime

noble_prime Figure hunter.

Two words sums this up for me: bull shit!

17. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Don’t be a jerk...

News Credits:
    Reall? I had no idea, I thought Reprolabels actually helped Hasbro with some of the stickers for the reissues. No?

Yes, YES! I'll bring the Kool-Aid in a boot.

I am NICKBOT, and I send this message to any surviving Dealers taking refuge among their hotel rooms; we will be there, we are waiting to spend money.

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    DON got his start doing Fan Comics and full blown Figures!

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I have to say I have been expecting Has/tak to do this as a countermeasure to KOs and 3rd party figures.

I feel bad for the dealers who sales were greatly dependent on 3rd party stuff. At least ya got warning it would be much much worse if this got dropped on the dealers as they were unloading at Botcon.

I won't be attending this years Botcon or any until one is held close enough to where i live. That said i agree with the thinking of many 3rd party parts parties being held.

I also wonder if this is just the first salvo in a war between Hastak and the 3rd party companies.

20. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The real question is, if Hasbro Canada submits an Ultimatum that TFCon needs to either pick 3rd Party sales vs. Hasbro Canada's involvement, which will TFCon choose...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.