ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Sidecutter, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom servo

tom servo Well-Known Member

Since Botcon is officially sanctioned and sponsored by Hasbro, banning third party companies is their right. Besides, people go to Botcon to see the new Hasbro stuff. Not what 3rd party companies have lined up. That's what cons like TFCon are for.

2. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They won't. Quite frankly, when I went to botcon two years ago, there was no incentive to buying the 3rd party stuff there, aside from just being able to pay in cash. They'll continue just fine selling through tfsource, or BBTS. The only way they'd jump in price is if HasTak somehow got a legal order that banned importation of them into the country. That of course, would create a prohibition-like effect on those toys, and would also make things highly dangerous for us fans who do try importing them.

3. transfan681

transfan681 Retired TF Collector

News Credits:
    i dont care for 3rd party stuff but what give hasbro the right to take your own suff away! my bet is that 3rd party stuff will be sold in the hotel rooms near botcon

4. mikeyfuzz

mikeyfuzz Newly converted GIJoe fan

Ebay:
    Most of my purchases last year were 3rd party, mostly because all of the G1 and reveal the shield stuff was marked up why too high. I feel bad for anyone going this year. Fun Pub is completely within their right to disallow 3rd party, but right now Fun Pub doesn't need another reason for people to skip botcon

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Don't worry fellas, I'm sure there will be a fan who will ask Hasbro about 3rd party products during the Hasbro panel. It'll all be smoothed out from there.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Why do I see a lot of people basically setting up shop selling third party stuff out of their hotel rooms (aka the parts parties).

I wonder if Hasbro Canada will impose a similar requirement on dealers at TFCon?

7. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

We're supposed to be having fun and looking at displays of the characters we've grown to love. What gives? HASBRO must be jealous at how their toys just don't par up anymore. >__>

8. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smoothed out or smothered out? I can not see them answering any legit questions about 3rd party items except with "No Comment" or "We are looking into that"

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    is having hasbro and takara at the conventions really worth it at this point.. i can't remember the last time something major was revealed.. lately they've just been showing off stuff we've seen already.. and i don't expect that to change. maybe one or two small reveals, but that's it. the rest they save for the "real" conventions.

this is just another slap in the face to the fans, in my opinion. they've screwed up a LOT lately.. yet all we've gotten was one response.. and nothing has changed.

maybe they want to alienate the collectors.. that way they just need to make molds for prime and bumblebee.. and that's it..

anyways.. my feeling is that these third parties are doing things that fans want. .. and for the most part they're succeeding. if hasbro and takara really want to man up instead of being petty.. why don't they try some new things. give us the masterpiece coneheads.. make a nice looking combiner. tell us that you're coming out with a new soundwave (and not just some bullshit "hint")

this is just ridiculous. other than igear.. i don't think anyone else is stepping on hasbro's toes. maybe with their intellectual properties... but that's it.

and face it.. for most of us, if hasbro competed side by side with any of these companies, hasbro would win hands down almost every time. but no.. they'd rather give us 7 bumblebees and 1 vehicon per case. and since that's how they want to play it.. 3rd parties will continue to be in the game.

10. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    Like last year's crap-fest panel? :rolleyes: 

LMAO!

11. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1)I'd assume it to be considered bootleg. If HasTak didn't legally allow it to be made, I don't see how it skirts around.

2)As long as your booth retained the required percentage of TF stuff, your lego stuff would be fine. HasTak is only coming down on people selling unlicensed TF related merchandise. So you selling non-TF stuff wouldn't have any affect on them. Now, if you were selling unlicensed Lego sets based on TF, that would be a different story.

3)TakTomy and Hasbro are one big happy Transformer family at the moment. They both own the mutual licenses, work together and everything. An official TF item released in China, Japan, Australia or Singapore is considered just as official as one in the states, because it is a licensed product. Its why there were official Hasbro representatives at the Singapore convention, despite them announcing Asia only releases.

12. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I've wondered why Hasbro just doesn't turn the tables on the 3rd Parties.

Like - they see a picture of Hercules. They wait for it to be done - then they maybe take it, make molds, and release their OWN - same damn toy - call it Devastator, and sell it at retail for 1/2 the price of the TFC one. And if TFC bitches about it, Hasbro can be like "F-ck you - how do you like that?"

I mean I know Hasbro isn't really interested in adult collectors - but if they STARTED giving a damn, then they could EASILY just put these 3rd Parties right out of business simply by doing WHAT THEY DO.

I mean - we're getting an MP Sunstorm from Takara - cool. Maybe a day late and a dollar short, but ok - so what they should do next is OFFICIAL versions of Ironhide and Ratchet, and sell them for LESS than IGear does. Problem solved - dammit Hasbro, if you don't like 3rd parties then why pussy around about it - PLAY DIRTY! the next time Igear makes an announcement - let's say they announce an IGear MP Trailbreaker... Takara should snag that idea and put one ON SALE before Igear can even FINISH theirs.

13. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What gives them the right to take it from dealers is that it is Theft of their IP and illegal product. Literally, go to jail, real illegal.

-ZacWilliam, and to BE a dealer at Botcon they will have to sign a contract saying they know and are ok with that.

14. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Meh, Since I don't buy or have interest in 3rd-party figures, this news doesn't bother me at all.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Somebody got it :thumb 

16. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    Then call the cops in.

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    While I agree with what you're saying I think they are being hypocritical. We've seen the Universe Basics that are exclusive to the discount chains...I can go right across the street from my shop to Big Lots to pick them up right now...they are on the pegs right next to the WORST Constructicon KO's known to man. If they are so upset about 3rd party (and I'm not saying they shouldn't be) rewarding their accounts that support KO's while cracking on the dozen or so guys who MAY have 4-5 staff members TOPS seems entirely backwards to me.

No collector is going to confuse iGear coneheads or TFC Hercules for real Hasbro product, nor expect the product safety standards US toys must have...but a parent buying their kids a Transformer from Big Lots, or an Easter basket with the horrible combiner KO's are certainly not as well informed as us and to ME they should see that as a much bigger issue.

18. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The bigger problem is that the stuff they DO show that we don't see prior NEVER comes out anymore. That used to be a big draw for me, back when almost everything you seen in the slideshow was released in the near future. Now it's, "This is stuff we have developed, but if stores don't want it, you will never get it". The slideshow is a big tease, and I for one, don't think it's worth the price to get "teased".

19. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

This is our passion and Hasbro wants to be like this? Between NO FE PRIME TOYS & now NO 3RD PARTY TOYS....give em HELL at Botcon 2012!!

20. FlatlinerZero

FlatlinerZero Member

News Credits:
    That sounds about right, doesn't Hasbro just skip Botcon mostly for all the big news and save it for Comicon? Like when they saved all the good First Edition news for Comicon even though it was clearly ready to show at Botcon.

..First Edition stuff that they never gave us...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.