Atlantis

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Falconhood, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

new TV series. Watching now. Looks interesting. I wonder if it is related to the 1970s show MAN FROM ATLANTIS. Anyone else see it?

2. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Is this the BBC show? I missed it last night, will have to catch up on iPlayer, I liked Merlin, and this looks similar, just a different setting, so hopefully I'll enjoy this too. Also quite keen on Greek mythology

3. Falconhood

yes, it's on BBC

4. WTDylio

News Credits:
    Just watched it on iPlayer. Very underwhelming first episode, it just moved far too quickly for my liking
    Oracle: "so Jason, turns out you were born in Atlantis" Jason: "ok then" Oracle: "Wow you took that rather well". Also how he's already meeting princess whatsherface. The Minotaur fight was also rather poor, but it was the same with Merlin, anything made using cgi was shown for about 3 seconds :/ and i'm betting that the oracle is his mum
    But I do like the 3 main characters already (the others, namely the royals, just seem flat and predictable, the King himself just seems to be another Uther), and the setting looks rather nice, I will watch the next few episodes, usually it takes a few for a show to get into it's stride

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I taped it last night but I've not watched it yet. To be honest I was just going to skip it because even the previews looked extremely boring with lots of people wearing terribly constipated expressions, but my mother bugged me to tape it for her so I suppose I'll give this first one a looksee now I have it logged.

6. Falconhood

The CGI is poorly done, but I think the acting is good.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I thought it was decent. The nods to Greek mythology were very nicely executed and I'm seeing lots of plot threads set up. I wouldn't write Minos (the king) off yet - if he plays true to his mythological roots, he'll be a harsh, ruthless, yet ultimately just ruler.

Overall I felt it was a lot like Merlin, but the later series, after they'd got the formula down and worked out what worked and what didn't.

I'm enjoying it enough to guarantee tuning in again for the rest of the series - knowing what I know of the Greek myth and picking up on all the various plot threads that are dangled, there's lots of interesting stuff that might come forward.

For example:

- How does travel between the worlds work? Could someone exploit that for their advantage?
    - Are there other worlds out there? Could the gods actually just be sufficiently powerful denizens of the other worlds?
    - Just who were Jason's parents?
    - How long before we start seeing the rest of the Argonauts, and the eventual quest to retrieve the Golden Fleece?

And also, the actress playing Ariadne is extremely good looking.
    Too bad she'll likely die before it is all over if Medea turns up...

8. WTDylio

News Credits:
    2nd episode airs tonight, hopefully it'll pick up, this episode seemingly features
    Medusa, I kind of hope that she does end up as a snake thing, but then I kind of don't because after Merlin i'm fed up with terrible bad guys with names beginning with M

Oh it's on. Nearly forgot about it again
    -Ok I wasn't paying any attention and whatever the hell that thing at the start is scared the shit out of me. God i'm a coward
    -Oh and now he's questioning the Oracle about his origins and getting all angry about it? Why didn't he ask any of this last week?
    -Oh wow I don't like Hercules...do we reeeally need him? He just seems to be a really bad attempt at comic relief
    -Oookaaay, freaky ninja women? Ummmm
    -YAAAY WONDERING THROUGH THE WOODS YAAAY
    -Oh the Gorilla thing is back? Wait did they not see it throw something onto the soup? Eh?
    -Oooh, that Oompa-Loompa troll thing looked awfully nice in a dress, it's very slimming
    -"No. Take me. Not her." BRILLIANT ACTING 5 STARS ALL THE AWARDS
    -Ok I have no idea what is happening i've completely lost interest, this really is quite poor
    -Oooooh, she was cursed to become a snake lady wasn't she? Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease
    -OOOH WHAT TERRIFYING MONSTERS SHALL THEY FIGHT NEXT WEEK?!?!? Oh. Bulls? Um.

Ok the show's really not doing anything for me, the acting is really starting to grind on me, but I'm tempted to keep watching until
    hopefully Medusa turns
    Oh and this is only 13 episodes? So is it just a one-off series? Kind of seems like it
    Oh and the show really reminds me of Dinotopia

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Okay, just got around to watching the first two episodes.

It's very... bland.

Blandlantis.

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is only one Atlantis: Stargate Atlantis

11. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

So what channel is this on, and when? I love Greek mythology, and I think I would enjoy aspects of this show.

12. WTDylio

News Credits:
    Saturday evenings on BBC One, it's only in the UK though

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

That would explain why I haven't seen anything about it.

14. Falconhood

But it's also online.

15. WTDylio

News Credits:
    New episode tonight, we're barely 5 minutes in and already we're being treated to Princess whatsherface's godawful acting, also, this episode can't seriously can't just be them jumping over bulls, there must be some other threat, right?................Right?
    -Oh lord these jumping sequences look terrible
    -Oh, maybe the threat is voodoo or something
    -oooh I really don't like Hercules
    -Oh look it is voodoo...yay, although I am now curious about Queen whatsherface, I wonder what her agenda is?
    -Gotta love how Jason is the only one not wearing a shirt, need to have that apparent sex appeal
    -Sorry, does the King know what his wife is doing?
    -This girls going to dies isn't she?
    -Ok so apparently the laws of Gravity don't seem to work in the arena

16. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Did anyone, for any second, truly believe any of the main characters would actually die? Anyone? Right - nobody did. And as for the other bull jumpers: I didn't give a shit about any of them anyway.

The way the jumper who was a King and the jumper who was a thief seemed to become firm pals after apparently hating each others' guts for ages didn't convince me at all.

And there's no way Fatcules could ever realistically jump over a bull. I mean if this troop of feckless fuckwits of varying poor physical ability could do it so easily then why is it such a feared thing to have to go before the bulls?

Anyone else notice the missing rivet in the metal gate leading to the bullring (shopping centre)? Intentional or mistake? It bugged me everytime I saw it.

I appears the palace has the same problem as Camelot in that people can sneak about wherever they please, even into the private chambers of royalty, and there won't be any guards around to challenge them. Sure, there's a couple of guys guarding the big doors leading outside, but that's not going to stop anyone already inside the palace.

And next week: Off to wander around the forests again. Maybe there Jason will actually develop some character beyond just bland.

17. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    This episode was stupid. Honestly, bull jumping? The sequences looked utterly awful too. Liked the other episodes though, so I hope this is just an odd one out. Medusa is the only one keeping me in the series so far.

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
  19. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Yeah, but they definitely could've picked something more threatening, like slaying lions or something. Anything would be more realistic than the horrendous jumping sequences. ;) 

I honestly can't wait to see the turning point for Medusa, though.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    They're sticking quite close to the classical interpretation of the gods. Poseidon was always associated with the bull in Greek mythology, so to have any other animal in the arena in a blood sport dedicated to Poseidon would have been wrong. The actual bull leaping idea also has exotic overtones, so it adds to the mystique of Atlantis, which mixes Greek and Phoenician / Persian aspects.