At what point is enough G1 enough?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thewiredknight, Mar 3, 2022.

1. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    That assumes that the fan base is only interested in G1 Optimus, which is definitely not the case. There’s also the kids who grew up with RiD, UT, Animated who aren’t being served with the current product. Not to mention guys like me who like all of it but have long since had our fill of G1.

The fan base isn’t entirely G1.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ditko

Ditko Well-Known Member

Well this GIF is my response. Star Saber, Deszaras, Overlord, Dai Atlas etc. are all still G1 and I want all those. I'm in for combiners too and whatever Headmasters, Pretenders, Powermasters they come up with. Then as dumb as it sounds I see G2 as G1. It literally was repainted G1 toys (which I do NOT want) but the inspired stuff like Laser Prime, Dreadwing, Megatron tank etc. I want.

Now I will admit to not feeling as into it anymore as the original poster suggested. SIEGE was my dream line then 2020 gave me what I never thought I would get. I cannot keep that intensity, it sometimes feel like a job buying stuff now, but Legacy does actually look fun. So I am still 100% in.

I won't declare this, especially since IDW designs like Tarn are out there and ARMADA designs really interest me if updated properly. Hell I will likely get the Titan Metroplex this summer too. So I'm open to new things, especially new characters as long as it fits with WFC. If they start a new scale, style, aesthetic etc. then I probably would be out too.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    This paragraph is doing a frankly heroic amount of heavy lifting. Another, entirely accurate way to look at the current state of things is, "after first diverting as much of the Generations line to G1 as possible over several years,* Hasbro then shifted like half the Studio Series line to G1, then finally decided any future non-G1 Generations guys would be redesigned to also be G1."

I don't personally care about the Legacy Prime figures. They look incredibly boring to me, so I'm not buying them. But it's not at all weird to me that, for many people, it was a last straw that made them go "for God's sake enough with the fucking G1," and they don't consider it notably different from getting another Prowl or Hot Rod.

___
    *The Kingdom Beast Wars toys are the only non-G1 bright spot since... I want to say maybe 2015? And even in their case, I'm constantly told that Hasbro never wanted them in the main line, or to represent of any kind of new normal, just supposed to be a one-and-done anniversary subline.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wasn't planning on buying Bulkhead, but I've talked about him way too much in this thread, I've kind of talked myself into wanting him.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An alternative way of looking at it is: We have no Bayverse figures to sell because Rise of the beasts has been delayed due to Covid, and retailers are incredibly antsy about having the same line go on for years indefinitely without some sort of reboot (hence why Generations has always had a new name & focus every year for the last Decade), and said “let’s give something different (Beast Wars) a chance in the main line & put some G1 into the Studio Series line to prop it up till the new film comes out, since we have evidence that still sells.”

There’s only so much you can put out at retail, & the retailers plan things several years in advance. So it Beast Wars is a roaring success (which it apparently is) it’ll take another year or so to see the results of that come through anyway.

I just simply don’t believe HasTak is, like some fans here think, both ‘so obsessed with G1 they’ll keep putting it out non-stop above any other Transformers line, even if it loses then money’ and yet also ‘so obsessed with money they constantly put the prices up just to gouge us!’ Both statements can’t be accurate.

HasTak is a business. They want to make money. We don’t have access to the sales data they do but considering they’re the number one boys toy maker in the US (possibly worldwide) I feel they must be doing something right on some level.

And take it from me, the G1 fans don’t want yet another Optimus or Prowl or Hot Rod etc any more than you do :lol  I want Sureshot, the Omnibots, the Powermasters, a new Thunderwing etc.

If they want to make a new Optimus, make it the Armada or RiD one! Make Megatron the one from Energon! But considering the new Optimus is G2, Megatron is the BW Dragon & the new Starscream is from Armada, it looks like they’re already moving in that direction.

6. jojo1982

jojo1982 Well-Known Member

It’s hard to say enough is enough with G1, cause I think some ppl in here aren’t seriously thinking how huge of an impact G1 has. G1 isn’t just from 1984-1986, it also expands to the Japanese G1(also victory, masterforce, etc...), the Marvel comics, the Idw comics, the Netflix show, dreamwave comics, Beast Wars, and even G2(sortve). So saying they should be done with G1 is kindve impossible to do, especially with the demand for most of them, that haven’t seen a good figures 25 or 30 yrs.
    I’m sure we’ll get to revisit the Unicron trilogy, RID, Prime, and animated, but those are bit smaller compared to G1.

7. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bullshit. :lol  I absolutely want a G1 prime done correctly without cutting corners like the ER/Kingdom version.

And F*** Hotrod.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KFGatri

Ebay:
    That would be MP10. Hands down the best official rendition of G1 Optimus ever made. Or the 3P Voyager downscaling if you want a CHUG-compatible one.

I don't think we're ever going to get a figure without corners cut again, at any pricepoint.

9. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    There are constant requests for a do-over of Prowl on this site. Only because the distribution was bad, of course. There's always just this one reason why just this one needs just one more do-over.

Okay? I haven't said anything about this subject. This is beginning to feel like rapid-fire subject changes, so I'm just gonna wish you the best in future endeavors now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahh but now the beauty is we can just reissue the old Earthrise Prowl (with the Siege Prowl head, if others haven’t already done like I did & swapped them) in something like the Walmart retro line. Those that missed him get another shot at getting Prowl and he doesn’t take up a line at regular retail!

That budget can then go to a new BW Silverbolt, G1 Sureshot or RiD2 Strongarm. Everyone wins! :thumb 

Oh & the other bit wasn’t quoting you sorry, someone else had put something earlier and I thought it was in this thread, it wasn’t directed towards you at all. But yeah, I wish you all the best in getting the figures you want too!

• Like Like x 1
  11. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Go put in an application at Hasbro. I'll be a job reference if needed. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  12. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to be the "moral police" here... as I find that there's a loss in perspective...

What's really sad in all this, is that many if not most brands die out after a while, with the irony that the whole nostalgia has rebooted many as of late, to appeal to the older generation that are older an financially more capable to afford whats being sold (and hope to bring in newer generations into them to make more money).

And here we have TFs that have been going on for decades, always (fairly) strong waves to massive money making, always enough for Hasbro to continue doing it....

And instead of being happy that it has survived all these years, we have this attitude of being upset over not getting what one wants.

I hate the raising prices, I hate the quality issues, and I hate not getting value for my money, but I have never been happier to have the chance to see new figures come out every few months, so that I may pick up those I like and have others pick up those that I don't, but that together, the brand continues.

I barely had any choices as a child because they weren't there, they just didn't even exist. The few toys I did get were like gold to me and I loved each one, something that's very lost on many today.

This about toys, not about anything "deserved"...And Hasbro does what it does to make money and will sell what they believe will make the most money, nothing more..

But for any and even ALL TFs fans and collector, can't you just be happy that you can have all if any of these figures available to you when some child out there can't even eat tonight, let alone get angry over not getting a toy that's not what they want...

... sometimes one should step back and realize how lucky they are to even be able to discuss about toys...

• Like Like x 4
  13. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Good points. It is quite easy to lose sight of how lucky we are that TFs is still ongoing nearly 40 years later.

I fully recognize that we've got it better than a lot of other fandoms. Doesn't mean I'm not going to be outspoken about my wish for greater variety in the offerings, though. :p  :D 

14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, I never said to be, heck, asking for new and better is absolutely the "seed" that Hasbro needs to hear...

I'm just saying that sometimes it's a good thing to step back and think about it.. it's to make sure that we don't lose the perspective that these are toys after all.

People get too upset at times and lose focus about what it's about.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Yup. I can't deny being guilty of that. There is a downside to being passionate about a hobby sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Japanese G1 is my most wanted era to get modern figures. It is my favorite cartoon era and the vintage figures are WAY too expensive.

I can't lie, I do wish the Datsun brothers looked more like Datsuns. That said, I think they could at the very least find a way to re-release Earthrise Prowl again. I think Buzzworthy Bumblebee might be a good place to get him out again. Maybe update his colors. Give him the correct gray abs and thighs. It would be nice if they gave him the police crest symbol from the vintage toy. I always thought that symbol was very iconic for Prowl.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

My post wasn't a reply to your post, it was my thoughts in general after looking at the first few pages of the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KFGatri

Ebay:
    I could go for some more JG1. Not my first choice, but it’d be a change nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See, thankfully I've not had those issues. I know of the issues that are out there, though.

20. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally get what you're saying, and if/when they do MP Ginrai, that's what he's going to be to be, not another Optimus. As for the sunbow look, that's what I do like, and what my definitive Optimus is with MP44. If I think there might be a better option don't down the line, I'll replace it with that one, official or 3P, whichever it may be. But the constant new iterations of Optimus, bumblebee Megatron, and Starscream are not only overwhelming, but also getting incredibly boring. Which is why I decided long ago that I didn't want all versions, but THE version. It's just to much.