Customs: [ASK] Newbie here..

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Caine, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    So I just bought Universe Sideswipe, and intends to repaint him into Stunticon Breakdown.

And since I'm new to these kind of stuffs.. I wanna ask a few questions to fellow Radicons here..

#1 What's the best method to remove his black stripe on sides? Or just leave them and paint 'em eventually?

#2 What's the best method to start painting this figure? Separate all limbs, or simply paint it on alt-mode first? Because I'm afraid I might break some stuffs if I have to separate his body into pieces. -_-;

Maybe few questions will follow up later once I get to work on it. Still kinda busy & hectic with job lately. ;) 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Caine.

2. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

1) If you are just going to paint him, you don't really need to worry about the black stripe. You can just lightly sand him and that should take care of it.

2) I've tried painting both ways. Taking the figure apart ensures that only those parts get the new paint.

However, if you paint him in car mode, sometimes some paint will get through the cracks and hit some parts you don't want (forearms and legs underneath). For the latter problem, wait about 15 minutes after you paint him (dry to the touch) then be ready with a rag and some paint thinner to remove any unwanted paint.

I’m still new to painting too but that’s what I’ve learned so far.

3. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Sideswipe & Prowl disassembled.

Any ideas on removing the pins & wheels on both?
    Also, specifically on Sideswipe's case, his inner mechanism ain't that hard to be reassembled again, right?

4. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Wheels - I usually leave them where they are. I take a 3" long piece of blue tape and go around the tread of the wheel (so that it goes around the inside of the wheel well) until the piece of tape meets up with itself again, then fold the pieces towards the pin in the middle and make sure it covers everything up, that way no paint makes it's way into or on the tire.

I usually remove the pins on everything except the tires. If I can't remove the pins (like prowls back spoiler), then I just make sure I tape over the parts you don't want painted (cut away excess blue tape with razor/exacto knife). To remove pins, use the Tut Redline posted here: http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-cus...w-tos-2/how-to-remove-pins-and-rivets-164126/
    In fact, a lot of the Tut's are awesome for getting started. As far as reassembly, it's no more difficult than disassembly. Let me know if that helps or if you need more info.