Asian Exclusive MP-08 Grimlock is real!!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by evilcat005, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megamangaea

megamangaea Well-Known Member

I thought it was because Takara makes it, but Hasbro distributes it.

2. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The logos are because Hasbro Asia are the big cheese behind the Cybertron Toy Show in Beijing and they commissioned Takara to make this exclusive edition Grimlock.

Here's the latest News/Rumors

1) MP08 Grimlock will cost 1299rmb($212USD) at the show.

2) The show only "Deluxe" Edition MP08 will cost 1999rmb($325) - The original rumor was that this was MP08x but that's not true. This is the same MP08 in Chinese packaging as above. It seems more like a convention goody bag kind of like you get as a VIP at any other convention. Again, it's MP08 and then there's some other stuff you get with it. There was mention early on of a convention T-shirt and I'm guessing with the huge price increase you also get the other convention exclusives with it. Nobody knows what you actually get because most people inquiring are strictly interested in MP08!

The information blackout about MP08 itself is solid. The person I'm getting it from said they will not be allowed to ship until the show is under way unless something changes.

3. Furyan

Furyan Furyanicon

News Credits:
    ^ Thanks for the update Grimlock!

4. slimsizzle

slimsizzle Well-Known Member

This is still just a rumor right? anyways thanks for the update. Basically if i get this, im paying 250 for mp08 with a nice box..?

5. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So this is what we previously heard of the so called "reissue MP08". Previously i thought it will be the normal MP08 Black MP box.

6. evilcat005

evilcat005 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great info Grimlock! Heck thats a hell lot better explination than my.

I won't confirm his info becuase I can't, but i will add a little to this rumor.

Unless you line up in the Beijing Toy Show, and fight through a huge crowd of people that want this MP08, chance are your not getting this for less then $250.

The second toy that might come with this toy bag is the Hasbro version reissued G1 style Jetfire that was in toys R US 5+ years ago. (its the voyager class one).

Because this might be a goody bag distribution style, there might be a minor different way how they will normally distribute MP08.

So in the end, those who pre-ordered it, will cut out all the other junk they are getting from the goody bag ( e.g t-shirt), and go directly to the meat of the show. No fighting the crowd, no line, and no 13 hours fly to china.

7. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    For price comparison, I'm getting MP08 and Skyfire for $290 shipped. That's about the same and maybe a little more than you guys pay going through Lunar. And I live in China so shipping is dirt cheap for me. If you live anywhere else you're better off going through Lunar. Right now the cheapest reliable seller on Taobao is listing these for $270. They won't get any cheaper.

That's not a rumor. That's the show prices.

You'll be getting an Asia Exclusive Grimlock with a so-so box. I personally think the plain white box with calligraphy would only appeal to old Chinese people but that's just me. And most other people in the world. It looks like the character bio card is white now and it's probably in Chinese so that's something different!

It's been outright said there is more to this than just the box. Hasbro Asia commissioned Takara to resurrect MP08 as the star of their Transformers Convention. It's not a small event.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Most people feel stressed and disappointed by the high price and lack of information about this. But it's not a wide release. It's really a leap of faith to go in for one. Especially after seeing the back of the box and realizing "Hey, those are the same 2009 stock photos from the 2009 Takara version"

So is it literally such a boring release that they didn't even bother taking any new photos? Or was the official figure not available for photos when they designed the packaging?

8. gakken85

gakken85 Banned

No its the takara version (sharper teeth and claws - slightly different gray and paint apps) with the hasbro parts (crown, sword, gun) WITH a special edition box.
    At least that's the idea. I'm not 100% sure but that's the consensus.

It's limited info because we're not even suppose to know about it. Not sure why everybody is bitching. If lunar hadn't imported some nobody would know anything or have a chance to buy one.
    Once the show starts they will release all the info they have.

It's not really "taking a risk". If you don't have a new in box Takara Grimlock this is the best way to get him, and the cheapest. Most are selling for 300+. You don't get the little apron and helmet but personally I think those are silly. Why would I want to cover up Grimlocks chrome with a dolls apron? Yeah, it's a funny episode but so is the one where he is stuck in the tar pits. I wouldn't want a tar pits exclusive either. Hah. The Crown is by far the superior accessory in my mind.

Personally, I think the box is really attractive, and it will be a great collectable.

9. Ejack37

Ejack37 Robot in Disguise

News Credits:
    So evilcat...do we get the Skyfire with our purchase?

10. evilcat005

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, Skyfire will not be part of the $250 purchase.

Skyfire is an individual item at the show.

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skyfire? Is it this one? Sorry about the flash.

[​IMG]

12. evilcat005

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, its that Skyfire. I think some one posted the picture to be all white, any how no offical picture yet, might be stock photo.

13. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    The figures that are going to be available at the show are:

1) Asia Exclusive Grimlock
    2) Metroplex
    3) Classics Skyfire
    4) Beast Hunters Optimus Prime
    5) THS02 Optimus Prime

I decided to grab Skyfire also because it's a pretty cool looking figure and he's cheap.

14. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    All in all I wish I had waited to buy my Takara MP08 -- it looks like people are liquidating their Hasbro and Takara MP08s to try and buy this exclusive.

15. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Any updates on when you think you'll get the Chinese MP Grimlock in stock?

16. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Ouch! And seemingly not even a new deco. They should've done a G2 toy deco, or a cartoon flat colour deco.

17. jres80

jres80 Well-Known Member

Only way I'd be interested in this is if they re-released MP-8X.

Gotta have them shinies.

18. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    I think this one will be more subtle but I expect it'll actually look better than MP08x.

The MP08 mold is so detailed and there is so little paint on it to accentuate it. Exclusives really don't have to do much to improve it. MP08x literally just slapped a metallic silver paintjob over the unpainted gray plastic and it was magnificent. The contrasting gold and the blue just make that whole figure pop.

This exclusive came up just as I was shopping around for MP08x so I put it on hold until after I get the Chinese Grimlock. MP08x is awesome and kind of my ultimate Grimlock so he's definitely staying on my list.

19. Furyan

Furyan Furyanicon

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing again. Just the reassurance I needed. Excited as shit to get my first Grimlock figure EVAR!

@ evilcat Thanks again for making this happen. Any idea when you'll be getting them in?

20. FoC Grimlock

News Credits:
    As of the 3rd that was his shipping guys taking the photos and he was expecting the shipment about 7 days later. I'm pretty sure he's got them by now. He just has the giant foot of the manufacturer on his neck telling him not to talk about it. Remember he had expected to already have these shipped out and then the information blackout hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.