Artwork of Unreleased POTP of Primal Prime Found

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Fc203, Nov 18, 2019.

1. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I sort of expect this to happen later down the line.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this is an intentional tease

3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    I don't think it's "teasing" anything. It's more likely this is the art he did for Primal Prime and at some point Hasbro changed their mind and recolored it for Optimal.

Now, that doesn't rule out Hasbro seeing people respond to this and going "Hey do we still have that mold? Let's throw it out there on Pulse a Selects figure." Kinda like they could still do if that CW Demolishor mold ends up rearing it's head again.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Death Dancaa

Death Dancaa Rocknrollicon

I feel like the idea probably was that Optimus Primal would have become Primal Prime after obtaining the Matrix. But they ultimately decided to just do Optimal Optimus instead. Regardless this is very disappointing given then the original Primal Prime is kinda hard to come by these days.

• Like Like x 2
  5. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I think Optimal was always in the cards, and the question was "What would his Prime form look like."

The original plan may have been to do Primal Prime because "That's Prime's colors." But I think they looked at what they were doing with the line already and decided the better choice was to make an "Optimus Primal Prime" follow Prime and Rodimus and have the Prime form carry forward the colors of the original figure.

And I like that. It didn't make sense to me why Optimus Primal would turn all blue and orange when using the Matrix...because he didn't really have any of those colors in either his original or Transmetal form. The Prime form being a beefed up version of their original form (colors and all) makes for a really great slew of design ideas rather than trying to explain why all future Primes are blue, red, and white. (Especially since Rodimus certainly didn't become that).

It also makes me disappointed Megatron didn't win. A lot of people assumed he'd be an evolution into Galvatron...but I dunno. Galvatron is who Megatron becomes with help from Unicron. So I wouldn't want to tie that to the Matrix.

What I *would* have done is either Energon Megatron (a tank/turret that evolves into a giant jet) or further reference Beast Wars and done a TM2 Megatron reference. Robot turning into a dragon. It would be a great nod to Beast Wars (and introduce a mold that could be reused as such) while giving a bit of bonus lore into why Megatron would've become a dragon instead of a bigger T-Rex when he merged with Megs spark.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Not sure I would've jumped on this Prime if he came out instead. One of my favorite features is Primal blends into the combined form instead of looking like a backpack. If not the final nail in choosing him over the retail version it was one of them.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This makes me wish we'll see Primal Prime in Select Series even more. Hopefully in 2021 at least if they do intend to do a big BW event like Warden hinted at.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Optimal was not always in the cards though.

combiner wars had
    Megatron/armada megatron
    Ultra Magnus
    Starscream/Skywarp/thundercracker
    2 new molds and 4 remolds

titans return had
    Blaster/Soundwave
    Powermaster Optimus prime/magnus prime
    Sixshot/quickswitch
    Overlord/sky shadow
    3 new molds and 5 remolds

power of the primes got
    Optimus prime/nemesis prime
    Rodimus prime/rodimus unicronus
    Optimal Optimus/throne of primes
    3 new molds, 2 remolds, 1 repaint with new accessories

This does not include Takara exclusive iterations of these molds like greatshot, just hasbro

power of the primes was a truncated line, 6 months shorter than cw or tr. if optimal was always going to be in the line it would necessitate a 4th leader mold in a truncated line, a 4th mold which would already be outside the norm for prime wars. Optimal was not always part of the line, his inclusion was determined by the vote

• Like Like x 1
  9. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    That's where Primal Prime would've come in.

10. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you're not understanding what I am saying. if primal was always going to be part of the line then the 2-3 new mold leaders per line during prime wars was already accounted for. you are suggesting that there would have been a 4th new mold in a line that was 6 months shorter than the other two lines. what evidence do you have that supports your claim? all of the visible, tangible evidence suggests that you are wrong

• Like Like x 4
  11. Powerbomb

Powerbomb "Brouhaha"

I found the original Primal Prime at retail. In hindsight I should have passed that lazy redeco up (and not just because it fell apart due to the translucent plastic).

If hasbro made Primal Prime from POTP OPOP, I hope for your sakes that they make it out of solid plastic this time. Because who would want a broken PP?

Powerbomb *cares* about his fellow fans!

12. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Let's assume there was never a poll. We'd have seen Prime, Rodimus, Optimal, and then some combination of Nemesis, Unicronus, and Primal Prime between retail and exclusives. So three molds, six figures.

Let's assume that least a few of the candidates would have used one of the three molds (or a retool thereof) as a basis for their Prime form. Had those candidates won, you'd have seen one of those three repaints above bumped out of the release plan in favor of the Prime winner.

At least one of Unicronus or Nemesis would have been made regardless of who won. So Amazon always had a black repaint available to package up as an exclusive along with some accessories and Giza. Likewise, at least one of Primal Prime or Unicronus would've been made, so you've got your repaint to slot in at retail.

That just leaves SDCC where whoever won would've been revealed in their Prime form as a retool/repaint of the third mold out of the trio. They never would've gone to retail, because SDCC was always going to be the Throne of Primes reveal. Because Hasbro never told us the winner would go to retail, they just said that figure would be the next Prime and get a figure.

And I would argue that the designs for these Prime forms aren't going to go in the garbage. They're going to go into a pile of designs that can be called back if they ever need to be for future lines. And I still think the Shockwave we saw is an example of an adapted design. Because they had a *ton* of time between Primal winning and revealing Shockwave to take that design and redo it for the Siege line...something they would've been planning for anyway by the time Prime Wars were wrapping up.

Because when you look at PotP...doesn't it seem odd that *none* of those leaders figures ever got retooled? Not just repainted with new heads, but like...retooled into other characters? Had the line *not* been cut short...you likely would've seen actual retools of those 3 molds closer to what we saw with stuff like PMOP/Magnus or Overlord/Skyshadow.

13. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that is where your argument falls apart. its based solely on assumption rather than evidence. the poll was introduced during titans return, meaning the poll for the 3rd new mold leader was a decision early on in designing the line. we also know that fan vote winners usually get a late line release and are a unique mold to that character (the only exception being victorion who was a remold herself). you are assuming a lot with nothing to back it up, whereas the thought process that says the vote determined primal getting a release at all has more weight. optimal optimus' box was tagged as a fan vote winner, optimal optimus fufilled the quota of 3 new mold leaders in a single line, throne of primes fufilled the trend of sub titan new mold fan vote winners getting a special exclusive repaint as the same character, hell even his role in the machinima toon was generic enough that it could have fit any of the candidates, especially considering the toon came out late in the line and he never transformed. your assessment is full of assumptions with little evidence.

not trying to be rude or anything by constantly harping on it, you've definitely got some good ideas in other posts, but this theory of yours has 0 evidence to back it up. the theory that magnus and shockwave were adapted holds more weight simply because we did get power up versions of those characters, but even you have to admit that the siege leaders work considerably differently than the potp leaders.

• Like Like x 3
  14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Windblade was a "unique" mold because the nature of her poll was far different than even the combiner poll after her. And you say "Victorion was a remold..." but that kinda proves the point right? All we did with that poll was pick which retools got boxed up with a bit of extra lore behind them.

And why are we pretending the "next Titan" poll was anything other than "pick the order we'll release these in." People were saying it then, and it's played out exactly like that. The only breakup was Predaking who would've been slotted in for PotP because he fit the combiner theme.

Likewise, we had a poll for Siege and then at least two of the four losers got made anyway and a third was in the *next* poll. Sure, there was a boxed set on Amazon...but then again both Mirage and Impactors retail releases were originally "Fan Poll Autobot" and "Fan Poll Decepticon" when they were first listed. So which was the afterthought? Their retail release or their boxed set release?

And even the most recent poll seems odd. We had Needlenose, who had already lost one poll. We had Runabout, a new character who has a built in repaint, and then two guys who had just recently gotten figures and thus would be less likely to win. And speaking of Needlenose, did the poll ever promise they'd be Deluxes? Because we've seen there was artwork for a Tetrajet version of Needlenose. There's signs all over that there were plans for dudes had they won *or* lost.

We're seeing increasing evidence our polls really only "matter" as far as they give us the illusion of choice and impact while Hasbro just shuffles a few repaints around behind the scenes and calls it a day. The only figure we ever really designed was Windblade...and you get the impression Hasbro changed their strategy after that specifically because the turnaround took to long and they wanted to do more fan polls like this.

15. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    victorion does not prove any point and i dont know why you think it would

i never said that the titan poll was anything other than a pick the order or anything to that effect, so you should stop putting words into my mouth. people were also saying then that trypticon, omega supreme and scorponok all had to be retools of each other so tat the designs would be ready, but it hasnt played out like that

the retail releases were the after thought for the following reason, it was originally solicited as a two pack when the poll was introduced. did plans change? obviously, but the poll also had decepticon impactor, which was the 2 pack version, idw head, con logo and all, therefore it must be logically concluded that autobot impactor was not the fan vote winner and therefore the afterthought

im also not trying to place anymore importance on the votes other than a character winning that vote ensures that they get a new mold in the current line, that is all they are. you however are trying to say that primal was always going to be a leader in potp regardless of the vote, despite the fact he was in the vote (implying his figure was not a guarantee), regardless of warden being on record saying he was surprised primal won, despite the fact his role in the cartoon was super generic, despite the fact that the fan vote leader met the quota of 3 new mold leaders. you are making a lot of assumptions with no actual evidence

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Accepting the fact that all three Titans in that poll (Trypticon, Omega Supreme, and Scorponok) were (or will be) released, and that the assumption of the poll being merely one of priority is correct, do we actually know that Scorponok came in LAST in that poll? I thought OS came in last. But OS was released before Scorponok.

In any event, I don't think "pick the order" was ever my assumption. It was always (to me) "pick which one we're doing NOW." I never understood any promises regarding the other two, but the odds that they were never going to come were always low.

(I'll still never forgive Hasbro for putting Scroponok in that position in the first place. It should have simply been automatic during Titans Return.)

• Like Like x 4
  17. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this exactly, the polls only determine which character is guarenteed to be getting made in that line

• Like Like x 1
  18. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    There's any number of scenarios that could've come. They could've always planned an Autobot Impactor and we voted the Decepticon in to existence, at which point Hasbro shuffled their release plans and put him in the boxed set rather than the retail cycle we were expecting.

Or maybe they had always planned Decepticon Impactor, but then whenever the decision was made to extend Siege they decided to pad out the line by sliding an Autobot version in at retail and putting him in the boxed set. I also would put it out there that the Siege poll was particularly loaded, Impactor had *never* gotten a generations release...and was nearly a shoe-in to win. Kinda like how Hasbro put Needlenose and Runamuck/bout in a poll with Gnaw and Shrapnel. We did them a favor by, once again, picking the easiest option for them. Impactor was his own repaint.

I'm actually kinda bummed that Mirage was paired with him, because I'm guessing there was a run repaint option for him available besides Holo Mirage that we lost because Mirage was too popular to leave out of retail once they decided to pull Decepticon Impactor from the cycle and drop him in a set.

At that point, it's semantics. We picked the *next* Titan, but never disqualified the rest of being made. When I say "order" that's what I'm referring to. We picked who came first.

But Hasbro doesn't give us options if they aren't prepared for those to win. We've seen that play out with Spinister and Wheeljack getting figures anyway.

And like I said before the winning Earthrise figure (Runamuck?) has a built in repaint.

19. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    again you are making assumptions without evidence

• Like Like x 2
  20. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I'll agree that Hasbro is "prepared" for any option they give us to be the winner, but I don't think that means what you seem to think it means.

For example, when I interviewed John Warden a couple of years ago, I asked about the poll that gave us the PotP Optimus Primal figure, specifically in regard to the other options on the poll. Although I didn't see the artwork, Warden spoke of a full design having been made for Hound, that would have included a power-up mode similar to what we saw with the other Leader figures in that line. Obviously, this toy was never produced, and I have no reason to believe that molds were even made.

Seems to me that they got as far as design concepts, but when the actual winner came through, only the design for the winner went forward.

• Like Like x 3