Arrow - CW TV Show Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ravenxl7, Jan 23, 2012.

1. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Kobra is the name of a DC supervillain.

Having a family name myself, it's either one name. Or a jr, III, IV, situation most of the time.

Actually his got two inspirations. There's a mystery novel from the 20's where a masked vigilante is murdering crooks on an English manor estate with a bow who calls himself the Green Archer (also the title of the book), written by the guy who created King Kong. His visuals are based on Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn as Robin hood (especially the bronze age suit).

2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

As well as the cult/terrorist organization ran by that super villain

Wow I would’ve thought you knew this, maybe I confused you with someone else but I thought you were a Batman beyond and Static shock fan.

The evil terrorist/cultural organization known as KOBRA made several appearances between those shows

Anyway the DC villain name Korba and his organization predate the Hasbro Cobra by 6 years

• Like Like x 1
  3. Primeultra

They may also be implying that Barry might eventually start looking like his father when he gets older

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I remember a street gang in Batman Beyond that was known for genetic splicing with reptiles including a cobra but I don't recall any terrorist organization or villain named Kobra.

That would mean that time travel as well as crossing universes was involved.

I could see that happening, I mean I look like my dad except he never had a beard and for some reason my hair started turning grey in my mid 20s while he was in his 40s when that happened to him... I'm almost thinking people are going to start thinking we're brothers rather than father and son. My grandma has started to turn into my great grandma... which is a little creepy considering my great grandma has been dead for about 14 years.

Plus it's pretty common in movies and TV shows when showing a character at different ages to just cast anther actor to play them at that age who's also playing a family member. Like the crappy Fant4stick movie where the same actor portrayed both present day Ben Grim and in the past was also Ben's older brother. Or the girl from the future on Legends, I'm pretty sure her mother in 2018 was being portrayed by the same actress. Then there's also episodes were we've seen the same actors playing ancestors of their characters like Martian Stein playing his great great great grandfather.

It kinda saves on costs when you can just have the guy playing Barry's dad as a future version of him rather than having to put the young actor in old make up. Plus it generally looks better having an actual old person than a younger actor in make up to make them look older. I've played older characters before but generally they want someone who's actually old enough to fit the part.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Kobra was featured in 3 episodes. The first was the second episode with Stalker when he teamed up with Batman. The second was a two parter during the third season when this new kid who fell in love with Max and wanted her to join with her as he mutated the world into snake people.

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Fun fact... the MCU also has a version of this called the Serpent Society. A few of it's members were villains in the Luke Cage Netflix series though just seem to be ordinary people unlike in the comics where they actually look like snakes. Cottonmouth in the series doesn't even like that name, it was given to him as a cruel joke from when he was a kid. Apperently he had a lot of dental problems growing up so he almost always had cotton in his mouth. I'm not sure what the original origin for the character was but a lot of this is because they wanted the series to be more grounded in reality rather than having villains in silly snake costumes.

City of Heroes/Villains also did this with an enemy group simply called the Snakes. They mostly showed up on the villain side hiding in the slums just outside the main city's. Heroes would occasionally run into them too but they're more common on the Rogue Isles than in Paragon City. They aren't much smarter than actual snakes so it really doesn't matter that you're both villains they'll attack you anyway just for invading their territory.

Plus City of Villains was a little weird with the villain side anyway... you'd think there'd be more heroes to fight but most of the time you're fighting other villains... including Arachnos which you are also a member of. On the plus side they later introduced a mechanic where sertain enemies won't attack you unless you attack them first. This made fighting Arachnos when you're suppose to be one yourself feel more natural. Snakes they still attack the moment you enter their territory because they're mindless beasts who hate everything that isn't them.

7. KabutoRyder

KabutoRyder www.taurianfilms.com

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ah City of Heroes, how I miss it so, may it RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Primeultra

Maybe it’s been a while since you watched the shows

Not at all and by no means.

Sure it’s common in shows when showing a character at different ages to cast anther actor to play them, but it’s also been done in which where they cast that characters father, if the characters father‘s already part of the existing fiction

It been done some cartoons where they draw the characters father to look just like the adult character

And as you pointed out, The same is been done with brothers sisters cousins and ancestors

9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I didn't know anyone else on this site besides me actually played. Would I know any of your characters? I mostly played on the Freedom server.

10. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Screenshot_20181207-193457.png

11. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That's lame as the episodes didn't feel like mid-season finales for nothing was accomplished.

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Nothing is ever accomplished in mid-season finales, that's why they're MID season and not the end of the season.

Personally I wish they'd just stop doing mid season finales all together. Taking a break between seasons I'm fine with but the random breaks in the middle of a season, that's too much. I'm pretty sure they had the entire season ready before the first episode even airs which would mean there's not even any reason to take a break mid season as the episodes are already to go just waiting to be aired. But we'll see if Joe comes back after the break.

13. jogproof

jogproof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    They were still filming the crossover in October and most definitely having a Christmas break so at most they will have the first 12 episodes in the can by years end.

14. lars573

Nope. The characters in Luke Cage (Cottonmouth, Diamondback, and Bushmaster) are completely distinct from the Serpent Society. Although the Bushmaster from the serpent society is the brother of the Luke Cage Bushmaster. In fact the Serpent society Diamondback is a white woman, Rachel Leighton.

15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It amazes me how shows these days are like 20ish episodes long, but take 9 months to air while back in the 80s a season would be 65 episodes, air nightly, and be done in like 5 months. How did they manage to pull it off back then?

16. lars573

Not even close. In the 80's a TV season was 22-26 episodes. And it aired from late September to early May, with breaks from US thanksgiving till January and another in March. In the 60's a TV season was 25-30 episodes that aired weekly from the 1st week of September to the first week of March, no breaks. These things being based on when the Nielson ratings are returned quarterly for the "sweeps" in November, February, May*, and July.

*May sweeps getting new content and the necessity to have a gap to stretch it out being added some time in the early 80's.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

What show were you watching that 65 episodes in a single season? I've never heard of such a thing. On average American TV shows have always been about 20 episodes per season. Sometimes more some time less depending on ratings.

British TV is a bit different where their average is only 6 episodes per season. Again it can go longer if the series is really popular like Doctor Who goes longer than that but that's a rare case.

A show would have to be pretty freaking popular to manage a 65 episode season run.

18. lars573

Cartoons. Season 2 of G1 was 65 episodes. Both seasons of He-man were 65 episodes.

19. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers, etc. That's why both Robotech and Voltron had to adapt multiple shows into one series.

Also, if I recall, Gunsmoke was 40ish episodes a season.

20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Syndicated weekday cartoons tended to get a 65 episode count. This was so they could air for 13 weeks of weekday showings before reruns.

Some didn't have all 65 episodes ready to go right off the bat but would work themselves up to that amount. I remember Transformers having new episodes for a while, having some reruns then more new episodes within that season.