Arms Micron Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Cax6ton, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I thought there would have been a thread up by now, I guess a lot of people still have it stacked and waiting for the rest of October/November stuff to come in.

I'm one of those people that has trouble seeing this mold as anything other than Starscream. The designers seem to have gone to great lengths to make the robot design physically evoke Starscream's personality traits, and as such they seem to carry over to any other deco. I was happy to skip Skywarp, until Thundercracker was announced. Then I had to have them both. Skywarp really won me over; in spite of the mold not really looking like a Seeker, Skywarp has an impressive deco and the mold is a lot of fun. This is a great mold to mess with, and Thundercracker is no different there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thundercracker is not quite as impressive as Skywarp. That doesn't mean that he's bad, he just doesn't stand out as much and doesn't draw your attention the way Skywarp does. It's probably the lack of contrast in the black and blue, and the fact that the silver doesn't stand out as much as Skywarp's metallic purple. I was disappointed to see some parts like the jet exhaust are blue, instead of black or metallic. TC's cockpit is yellow/gold rather than the coppery color of Skywarp. This still looks nice, but doesn't stand out much.

[​IMG]

In terms of color, he's not the Generations/Masterpiece blue. When I first opened him I thought it was closer to the Botcon/Classics blue, but a comparison shows it's closer to the Henkei shade of blue.

[​IMG]

One thing I noticed with Skywarp is that even though he stands out on his own, adding the stickers really makes the figure a lot better. Once I find the time to get Thundercracker's stickers done I'll update this post, and I expect the stickers to have the same effect on Thundercracker as they did on Skywarp. In the pic below, notice that Skywarp's eyes really stand out, while Thundercracker's are a little darker - that isn't an effect of lighting or the camera, they really do look that different in hand. That's not ideal either, but if that and the lack of contrast in jet mode are the worst features of this toy, that still isn't bad. Overall, while there are a few things that could have been done better, this is still a great mold and it still looks great as Thundercracker.

[​IMG]

Update: Stickers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As expected, the stickers really do add something, even though it's only a few little details. I think the wing stripes and faction symbols make all the difference in the world.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    There's little fins that can flip up on the back of the mould's calves. More screen accurate for Starscream.

3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks good, but as you said, not as impressive as Skywarp. Still want it though.

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    As a future TC completest, I'll buy it someday.

But I wih he had SOME red on his wings. What stickers does he come with?

5. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:

Funny you should ask - I just finished the sticker job and updated the first post

6. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Just noticed.

He looks WAY better now.

7. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thundercracker looks good. I'm going to do my best to get all three of these guys. :D 

8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Haven't opened mine, but heard complaints the chrome on the minicon makes the joints very tight, and the plastic is possibly on the flimsy side anyway.

9. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Looks pretty good to me! I hope they do a Starscream too.

10. hordeall

hordeall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cant bring myself to spend $50+ on a deluxe that needs stickers

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The chrome minicons (this one and the Gold Metal R.A. that comes with Orion) were my least favorite minicon builds of the bunch (and I've put together pretty much every mold released so far at least once). The chrome makes them slippery (a "duh" moment I guess) and on certain joints I never felt that they properly clipped in correctly, including on the Silver Metal Balo (mainly the leg/drill pieces that clip into the leg connectors that then clip into the main body). The hip and large blade pieces on R.A. also never felt like they securely clipped in.

12. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

LOVE this figure. I actually like him more than Skywarp, personally, but I'm also a sucker for the color blue, and damn if I don't just love the shade used on him!

FE Starscream has a great mold and I'm glad to see it works well for the rest of his trine, too. :)