Arms Micron Decals: Where Do You Stand?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 23, 2012.

?

What is Your Take On The Arms Micron Decals?

1. I Like Them.

33.3%
  2. I Dislike Them.

37.3%
  3. I Don't Care Either Way.

17.6%
  4. MULTIPLE CHOICE--Reprolabels Should Make Replacement Arms Micron Decal Sets.

25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    Ok so this thread stems from a discussion I was having in another thread in the news forum.

There seems to be ALOT of hate for the Arms Micron figures and especially their decals.

Some say that they're targeted for 5 to 7 year old Japanese kids which would explain alot and with all things considered makes total sense.

My take on this issue is that I think alot of them look bad in pictures but, once you get them in-hand they look fantastic.

Considering the target market for these figures, I will say that I'm a 35 year-old male and I LOVE the decals. For me, they're nostalgic because they remind me of my G1 toys when I was a kid. As a result, I have fun applying them and I think they look great. (The Arms Microns also remind me of G1 Target Masters but, that's a whole different discussion)

There are a large number of board members on here who say that the quality of the decals is bad. I guess I've been extremely lucky because I haven had any quality issues at all.

Some also say that they're difficult to apply. I own several of these figures and the only decal I've ever had difficulty applying correctly was the decal that wraps around AM Breakdown's rear bumper.

I guess I'm also having a hard time understanding those who say they look really bad. There are alot of board members who use reprolabels and rave about them. IMO these are essentially official reprolabels that come packed with each figure.

Also, I think that reprolabels should take a stab at creating replacement Arms Micron sets for these figures that are of the same quality stock that they normally use. You hear that reprolabels? I definitely think there would be a market for this.

What is your take on this issue?

2. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    simply put, i love them. i have 0 issues with any of the figures i own with them.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I love stickers but the Takara ones really are awful.

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like them. At all. Once applied they make the figure look cheap/tacky. I just use paint to get all the details myself. I don't think they're like Reprolabels because they're not as good as Reprolabels. Just compare AM Knock Out stickers to the similar stickers on the Reprolabels. The Reprolabels ones don't look as tacky and out of place. People complain about AM stickers peeling. Not once have I seen a person complain about Reprolabels peeling.

5. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    I actually don't really mind them. It sort of reminds me of getting figures during the G2 era and slapping stickers on them. I only wish QC was a little better. If I were any good at painting I'd go that route, but I'm not so yeah.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love 'em. I think they look great and, once applied, make the figures look quite sharp. But more than that, I like how they require me to take some time with the figure. With most items I get, I open the figure, transform it a few times and then it goes on the shelf. With the Arms Micron stuff, I transform them a few times and then spend some additional time appreciating the figure while I carefully apply the stickers. There's also the nostalgia factor, since applying stickers is something I enjoyed (and still enjoy) with G1 items. I'd be very happy if Hasbro started using stickers for their US releases of these figures as well.

Across the Arms Micron figures I own (2x Jet Vehicon, Gaia Unicron, Breakdown, all 12 AMW Microns), I have yet to encounter any of these "horrible, bad quality stickers" I keep hearing about all the time. Maybe that will change when I have Smokescreen, CyLAS and Nemesis in hand, but I doubt it. I have noticed the decals aren't quite as thick is Reprolabels, but they're hardly flimsy, they adhere well and they fit very well in the areas they're intended to go. The only time I've had issues is with Jira R, but that was my fault since I put a couple of labels too close to some of the joints and they've scraped off a little.

And, honestly, I think that's the basis of the problem a lot of people are having with them. It's not that the stickers are "bad quality", it's that people aren't patient and careful enough applying them and would rather just blame the stickers. After all, with paint, if a paint application is bad and a toy comes out looking weird, people can blame the 3rd world slave worker who applied the paint. With stickers, people have no one to blame but themselves if they can't apply the things correctly and the toy looks weird.

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with stickers per say, but with the actual quality of the stickers provided with this line.

I was building gundam model kits for over 4 years before I quit, and still have many of them to this day. None of their stickers have peeled off the way the AM stickers have.

Since most of the RID toys are complex and have somewhat tight transformation tolerances, stickers that are lower quality and placed in the places they are tend to peel off very easily. I have 3 AM toys, Breakdown, Terrorcon Cliffjumper and Darkness Megatron. Megatron is *mostly* fine, though the corners of his leg stickers are coming undone. The other two rate from mediocre to terrible with about 10-20 transformations each.

The stickers aren't cut precisely most of the times and don't adhere as well. And let's face it, some of the places the stickers have to go have bumps and sharp corners and the like, they're not places for stickers.

I'm all for customizing the figures to our liking, I liked painting details on my Breakdown, but takara needs better stickers for these figures.

8. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Some I used, some I didn't. For the Jet Vehicons, I used all the stickers. For Breakdown, I pretty much used all his stickers, and just put the Decepticon symbol and eye on his Arms Micron.

I'd suggest investing in some paint markers if you want something that looks a little less obvious in terms of detailing your figures. Sharpie makes good ones, and I hear Elmer's does too. It all comes down to whether you're prepared to apply paint to an expensive imported toy.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I've still bought a few releases, but I strongly dislike it. I don't have any problem with ugrade stickers for 3rd party items or Vintage G1 toys but modern official toys should be above stickers. Especially TakTomy...I mean a minicon that comes disassembled? A toy that has LESS paint apps than a Hasbro release? Come the fuck on. If Hasbro did something like that the nerdrage would be through the roof.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I like them. I only own breakdown but I been considering getting another am figure. I like building items so am works for me.

11. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Meh, I only own BD, his Micron peels, but it's not bad, they're pretty easy to apply (except the one that goes under the spark crystal, I applied the stickers after I built the kit...) and have a nice shiny quality. I'd much prefer shiny paintjobs though.

12. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I only have two AM figures, Terrorcon Cliffjumper and Breakdown, and between the two of them, I only put the stickers on Breakdown. The only stickers I had trouble with were the knee stickers, which I removed and replaced with paint, the rear bumper sticker when on easier for me.

I don't like the stickers, but I don't hate them either. I just prefer having paint on my toys a hell of a lot more.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd like them better if they were better designed and made.

* stickers go on complex curves, or other complex shapes.

* stickers are not always cut to properly match the areas they are meant to fit, leading to overhangs or getting wrinkled up in a sunken area.

* The adhesive doesn't stay stuck long-term, especially over bends or curves.

* stickers cover molded details, which looks especially cheap and tacky.

The ones that don't fall under those issues are awesome! :) 

14. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I like them but it does take time and patience to apply them correctly, which usually leaves weekends for me. I've occasionally had to apply a little bit of glue to get them to stay put since sometimes they like to peel, especially if it gets too hot in a room (and I live in Texas XD).

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Seems cheap and lazy. Just add some nice paint details or lower the price.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They look mostly bad on my Arms Micron TFs because I'm not very good at applying them. Having said that, I like them. My inner child can't resist the stickers :D 

17. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I was totally against the stickers when they first came out. I remembered the problems the old G1 stickers had. Sometimes they wouldn't fit where they were supposed to and sometimes they would get damaged during transformation. That's why whenever I buy a G1 reissue the sticker sheet stays in the box. I thought I could do the same with the Arms Micron figures until I saw pictures of them without stickers. They looked so bland without them. So at that point I decided to skip the line. Until I saw Darkness Megatron. I knew there was no way he would show up in the US so I decided to take a chance on him. And I'm glad I did. He's freakin' awesome.

Unfortunately I had to buy him twice. I had a couple accidents with the first one. When I was taking one of his forearm stickers off the sheet I separated the layer with the detail from the layer with the adhesive without realizing it. Totally ruined that one. Then I noticed I also put the jewels in the microns before putting the Decepticon stickers under them. By the time I finished with my second Megatron my opinion of the line totally changed. I bought six more Decepticons and Ironhide, and I have three more on preorder.

After the learning experience with my first Megatron I haven't had any more problems getting them off the sheet. Some have a tendency to peel up a bit when they're on rounded surfaces or molded detail but it's not like I have to worry about them falling off. It does bother me when stickers are too big for the place they are supposed to go and they hang off the edges. I was hoping with it being 2012 the technology would be available for them to make the stickers fit the way they're supposed to.

I found it's much easier to enjoy the figures if I don't expect perfection from them. If I don't put so much pressure on myself then applying the stickers is a fun little project. I just have to remember these aren't high end collectibles, they're only toys. And as far as toys go I think they're a success.

18. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    More than once I've seen the term "peeled off" used. Has anyone actually had a sticker actually fall off the toy or are they just beginning to peel around a curved surface?

19. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I've asked several times. They offer a different excuse each time, but the answer is always "no".

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I Like the AM Figures, I like the AM Microns - The only stickers I generally use is the Micron's Spark Crystal label and sometimes the faction logo on the main toy (but not often) off the top of my head I'd say I put a logo on Ironhide's chest and Dlx Megatron's Chest and on any Optimus' I have's front bumper (not the shoulder) and The Faction logos on the Vehicons.

Ratchet, Knockout, Soundwave, Bulkhead, Starscream, Breakdown, Skywarp, Terrorcon Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Terrorcon Cliffjumper, Bumblebee all have no stickers on them aside from my Duplicate Bee which was second hand and bought all stickered - I also have a few 2nd hand Microns with the stickers applied too so I can compare. Most Microns I've not painted (yet) mostly as I have no idea what colours they are supposed to be for most of them.

Some of my main toys I've painted quite a bit some Like Starscream have no paint at all on them (yet). I tend to put the most effort into Bumblebees for some reason.

The main reason I don't use the labels very often is I do not care for paper stock stickers very much I prefer the same clearstock sort UK Gi Joe/Action Force had (not the sort Starcom or American Gi Joe has as they suck the glue comes off them) and I prefer white backed stickers over chrome backed too.

And I'd really prefer to paint a stripe on over putting a sticker on something. but the main reason is I have both Hasbro and Takara toys and if half were stickered and half were not they'd not match up visually then. Not to mention stickers can't be as easily repaired - they can only be replaced at some cost.