Armada/Micron Legend Appreciation Megathread

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Lovecraft, May 13, 2019.

1. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm really not a sub person, I just don't like starring at the bottom of the screen the whole time. I feel you miss out on a lot of whats happening on screen.

Is the sub really that different from the dub though? The few times I've watched subs for other shows, I never felt it changed the show drastically enough to make a huge difference.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

It's night and day. The 'Minicon hunt' episodes in the first half of the series become a lot more enjoyable. The voice acting and scripting is improved 10 fold. Character arcs like Hot Shot (Hot Rod in Japan), Starscream, Optimus (Convoy) and Megatron start early and the seeds planted there for later developments are totally lost in translation.

There's also a reflection on the perpetually violent nature of the Tranformers that's present thematically from the start in Micron Legend that is basically gone from Armada until the dub couldn't ignore it when it became the forefront of the plot. But since it fumbled all the subtle stuff earlier, it doesn't feel as satisfying.

The animation isn't much better in Japanese. They do fix some of the glaring errors and coloring stuff but its still essentially a motion comic in Japanese.

The subtitles aren't very hard to keep up with imo. When there's a lot of dialogue there's not a lot going on, when there's action there isn't as much dialogue. If you practice with the earlier episodes you've already seen in English you should be primed for enjoyment by the time you surpass them.

The Minicons are really important to the overall plot and even they get handled with more nuance in the Japanese version, contextually. They still beepboopbeep but the humans and Autobots around them spend a lot of time reflecting on their nature and autonomy, well before Unicron is even mentioned. This makes later plot revelations much juicier.

The Armada dub isn't regular bad, or mediocre, or anything more than a sin. I cannot believe it aired. It aired an entire year before Micron Legend with bad translations of unfinished scripts and unfinished animation too.

Micron Legend is smart and brooding, the Armada dub isn't even coherent sometimes.

So you're missing out on a more professional, cinematic presentation as well as almost all of the character/plot meat except for the broadest of strokes. I understand if you don't want to/can't watch a Japanese show with subs, but I don't think the American dub is even worth your time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I prefer the dub to the sub in my opinion. I don't think the story gets as lost as Energon's story does.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

also the good stuff starts around the mid to late 20s if I remember right.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Some of the voice acting in the dub is okay, its not terrible all the time. Admittedly though Garry Chalk and David Kaye sound great as Prime and Megs in the earlier episodes, but it seems as if they got bored with the material after the first 5 episodes or so. Garry has said himself that he didn't enjoy working on the Unicron Trilogy as much as he did with the Beast Era. And who could really blame them, the dub scripts are just bad. I can only assume the acting improves during the Starscream arc and Unicron battles.

I do remember this being an issue back when the series first came out. But I was hoping that HasTak would have at least replaced the existing video with the fixed finish version for the DVD release, since that is what usually happens in situations such as this.

I remember everyone being angry over this. I too question why Hasbro allowed this to happen.

19 episodes in, and I've noticed many times when some of the dialogue doesn't make any sense.

At 19 episodes I may as well stay the course, thats nearly half way thru the series. Besides, I'm still looking forward to the Starscream and Unicron stuff. It's just taking forever to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    I've never watched any of the Japanese subs or shows regarding transformers but IMO armada was great toys were kind of like bricks though..:( 

7. Lovecraft

Once new warriors join the fray it picks up. Sideways, Thrust, Blurr, Tidal Wave, Jetfire, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    So I'm a little confused. I watched Episodes 33 & 34 last night.

Starscream has left the Decepticons, and the Autobots welcome him with open arms, except for Hotshot and Sideswipe. Seems kind of dumb but whatever.

Now, I thought for sure Smokescreen died at the end of Episode 33. Optimus even tells Smokescreen that they will never forget him, and the Autobots salute him as he dies. Optimus even yells out a frustrated "NOOO!" as the episode closes out. But Smokescreen comes back in a new body in the next episode, so wtf? Was the dialogue written like that in the Japanese version too?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. Lovecraft

Yes but they take a little more time to flesh out that its a 'desparate bid to save his fading spark'. It's not my favorite bit of the show but the JP version fleshes out Hot Shot and Starscream wayyy better and in fact Sideswipe is Hot Shot's 'training ward' which is why he's on Hot Shot's side so hard. Idk if the Master/Apprentice thing between them made it into the dub or how botched Starscream's subtle, growing disillusion with Decepticons is up until that point. You're gonna continue to get confused about the minutia of character motivations if you watch the Armada dub. It's just so technically flawed what little enjoyment you do get is a 'broken clock is still right twice a day' scenario.

You're only gonna see these shades of the characters when they're on screen, in focus, and the dub roughly translates the gist of they're whole arc in a couple lines. In Micron Legend these motivations and dynamics follow them around and affect them more wholly during firefights and other missions/goings on and that's present in the JP dialogue.

Hot Shot is supposedly obnoxious and unbearable in most of Armada but Hot ROD in Micron Legend is one of my favorite takes on Hot Rod. Another ex: Grumpy barely present Red Alert is actually the first 'old veteran Ratchet' in Micron Legend, predating Animated and Prime by 5 years. I understand you're in deep on Armada but I don't think it's possible to really appreciate the show through the dub to its best potential.

10. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Optimus does appoint Hot Shot as Sidewipe's trainer in the dub. But I'm not questioning why they wouldn't be so quick to accept Starscream on the team. I'm inclined to agree with them. And I can understand why Starscream would leave the Decepticons, as Megatron and Thrust plotted against him in an attempt to retrieve the Star Saber. But I wasn't expecting him to defect to the Autobots so quickly.

Admittedly the show does seem to be picking up from here. But I still think this is the worst group of Decepticons that I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    So I finished Armada, and I really don't know know how I feel about the show. There were definitely a lot of missed opportunities. The Starscream stuff was ok, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as Dinobot's journey, nor did it have the same emotional impact. This Megatron maybe the dumbest version of the character thats ever existed. How could he think Unicron was an Autobot hoax, even after Thrust pledged his allegiance to Unicron as he stole the Sky-Boom Shield and the Requiem Blaster? The final fight between Optimus and Galvatron was pretty epic though, Galvatron got his ass handed to him.

But man for as much hype as Unicron gets during the 2nd half of the series, he's kinda underwhelming. Unicron doesn't do anything! we mostly just see him floating in space, transforming super slow. And when he speaks, he speaks thru Sideways, who I guess is some sort of extension of Unicron. Unicron in the '86 film terrified me when I was a kid, and even today he's still kinda creepy. I didn't get any of that from the Armada version. I will say though the Unicron voice was pretty sweet, and it was a near spot-on impression of Orson Welles.

But again I watched the dub, though I can't imagine the sub is that much different.

Now, I really want an Optimus Prime figure with his Powerlinx redeco. It looks so cool. I wonder if the redeco was an homage to Optimus Primal, with the whole black, white, and red color scheme. He even has red eyes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lovecraft

Someday in the future you ever feel like rewatching it in Japanese to see if it's as different as I think it is, lmk. Glad you got some fun out of it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper And awaaaaaay we go!

News Credits:
    I'm getting close to this show I'll leave muly opinion on the show soon as I'm currently on RID 2001

• Like Like x 1
  14. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

Good to see Armada get some love! After a decade of Bayverse and the current G1 renaissance, the Unicron trilogy's really been ghosted as of late by the Hasbro folks, outside of the occasional toy or two. After rewatching some episodes, I'm quite surprised how much I'm enjoying them, flaws and all. It's as though they're filling a need I never knew I had? The way the show built up Unicron and each faction's respective reactions to the threat were really something. They really upped the cosmic horror aspect of Unicron in a truly terrifying way. The individual characters are great too. Each is entertaining in their own way, especially in their rivalries with their Decepticon counterparts. And the designs for all of them are quite dynamic and creative. Each character is so distinct, yet they all feel like they belong together. I like that, uniformity of aesthetic without homogeneity. On the whole, I'm very much enjoying revisiting this corner of the TF multiverse!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If I could get another, better written version of Armada Starscream in another Transformers show, I'd be really happy.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Illyricus

Illyricus Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Is the link safe and does it work on a Mac?

17. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust most torrent sites. I heard that kiss cartoon/anime is particularly bad with viruses now.

18. Illyricus

Illyricus Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks.

19. Lovecraft

Yeah it didn't affect my PC in any negative way. It's a large file set with like 2 maybe 3 seeders so it's not like it's vulnerable to the risk of widespread peer-to-peer shenanigans like most torrent files. If you've got a torrent app for your mac it should work no prob.

I sincerely doubt the hardest of hardcore fans who seed this would act with malice, and it's not a very popular torrent site either, further reducing risk.

20. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

still you can never be to careful. so...be careful.

• Like Like x 1