Armada and nostalgia

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    So how long do I have to wait before Armada becomes the new G1 and the toys start actually being worth something again? :D 

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Forever

3. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming...

4. jpizzow

jpizzow Well-Known Member

They aren't bad looking figures at all. Somewhat underrated. I think they could definately be worth more. The problem is is that most people have forgotten about them, thus the low demand, thus the low value. They came out after Beast Machines, which wasn't the most followed and probably left a few let down, so many probably didn't jump on board. I don't know. That's my theory anyway.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Please, you would probably have better luck yanking gold out of a hippo's butt.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other then some initial spikes in values, has ANY non-G1 line really gained in value? Sure a few figures in a line are worth $$ but not many.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It's going to be a long time.

The reason G1 has gone up in value is because there werent many adult collectors back then keeping it in perfect condition. Good condition G1 stuff is somewhat hard to come by.

Armada though? Lots of adult collectors were around for that, and so there's no shortage of good condition Armada toys out there, so the prices stay pretty sane.

8. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Add to this the MASS production today's toys have compared to 25 years ago. Armada stuff, except for maybe a few key figures, just won't be worth a whole lot for a long long time. If your in this hobby to Make money, I suggest getting out. You really would have better luck playing the lotto.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    your son or daughter may live to see it, maybe their sons and daughters

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Actually, the overall action figure market was a lot bigger back in the 80s, especially for hit lines like GI Joe and even Transformers.

Comparatively, those older lines were produced in UNGODLY numbers (some estimates place the average GI Joe figure circa 1985 as being produced in the MILLIONS).

But that goes back to what Valkysas said: there weren't collectors keeping stuff in pristine shape, so it was all bought by kids who likely didn't take care of their stuff so mint specimens are rare

11. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree completely. I await for the day that a Masterpiece version of this guy brings out his animation model's awesomeness in a way the original deluxe never could, just like G1's Ironhide/Ratchet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No... I'm kidding. We're never going back to the dark ages thankfully. The best thing to come out of Armada was Peter Cullen's Voice Over for its commercial.

12. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    In my mind, armada is an underrated line... but its likely never going to be worth much down the road.

13. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went back and fiddled with a few of my Armada figures while I was home for the holidays...I was even contemplating an Armada Starscream and Universe Ramjet to go along with my Armada Skywarp and Thundercracker...but then I started tinkering and remembered how utterly useless the figures were. Pretty much zero poseability in anything above a deluxe, and the deluxe figures themselves were mostly crap. Megatron/Galvatron was above and beyond the highlight of the line, along with Unicron...though even he had his faults.

14. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I'd pay a pretty penny for Prime, Jetfire, and Overload or Magnus.
    And Sideways. And Tidal Wave. Hell, a few figures. Its all about finding the right people.

And I will wait for the day Hasbro and 3rd parties start making stuff from the trilogy.

15. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't believe it's already the 10th anniversary of Armada, though I was raised on G1 I did get most of the toys for my nephew, very durable and fun with the minicons.
    Here's a group shot of Autobots on one of my shelves (of course Hotshot, Red Alert and Sideswipe are later toys but better than the originals IMHO)
    [​IMG]

16. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It says a lot about the line when "Supercon" (modern Deluxe) Optimus Prime was the most exciting figure of its time. How far we've come.

Also I remember how excited people were for Armada Unicron... so excited that the many differences between that design and the G1 design were largely overlooked for years until the new-head / G1 paint job appeared a few years back. Now Armada Unicron is kinda hard to look at.

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd bet almost in complete certainty that the "value" of G1 will never be duplicated again. In other words, good luck selling an AFA graded sample of an Armada figure that was on Wal-Mart toy shelves.