Are you missing Botcon and Club exclusives yet?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I don't have many botcon or club stuff I will say id have missed the ones I do own so ill say yes I miss what the club and con would have brought.

That proposed set with TR stuff all looked wonderful and I'd have loved to get that override. I love unicron trilogy stuff and she'd have been great to own

And the fiction was always pretty interesting

2. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There were some figures put out by them I didn't care for but for the most part I enjoyed their offerings. As a classics collector those toys filled many spots in the collection, especially with the more niche toys. Some of my favorites:

G1 - Battlechargers Runamuck and Runabout, Reflector, Punch/Counterpunch (tiny head though), Spinister, Ruckuss, Needlenose, Windsweeper, Scorponok

Seekers - "Welcoming Committee" Bitstream, Hotlink and Sunstorm

Japanese - Metalhawk, Deathsaurus, Leozack, Ginrai

UK - Skyquake, Turbomaster (Scorch), Thunderclash

G2 - Ramjet, Starscream, Clench, Rapido, Carzap, Sideswipe (only custom class though), Electro, Sgt Hound, General Optimus, Nightracer, Pyro (needed new head though)

Actionmasters - Circuit, Double Punch, Treadshot (needed new head though), Krok, Banzaitron, Slicer, Thundercracker, Kick-Off

Unreleased - Oilmaster, Toxitron, Nacelle

Diaclone - Zaptrap, Lift Ticket (Hoist), Burnout (Skids), SG Tracks (Road Rage)

G1 cartoon characters - Lifeline (Paradron Medic), Devcon (duck lips though), Dion

Some of the headsculpts (especially the shrunken ones like Rampage/Shocktaract, Punch/Counterpunch, CW BW Ravage/Tigatron) were not up to par but the premium paint apps and decoes on their figures were always top notch. Also enjoyed getting the alternate Hasbro headsculpts in their figures that might otherwise have not seen the light of day (CW Toxitron, Botcon Treadshot (Armada Sideswipe), SG Ultra Magnus, Legends Reflector, CW Counterpunch).

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What character is the little bird with tankor? I know which titan master it is but what character?

4. Jtprime17

Jtprime17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Diagnostic Drone- Diagnostic Drone - Transformers Wiki

5. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. TransformingRobot

TransformingRobot Banned

Not at all. Aside from a year here and there, most of the stuff was (IMO) trash. I mush prefer the new Hasbro Exclusives. Easier to obtain for those not in the US and so much better.

7. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why are people bothered about the ones that didn't come out then if they can see the pictures of them online?

8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Extensive galleries and reviews.

Plus this is a mock-up and has very little bearing on what the actual toy itself would have been like.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Nope.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    While it's fresh in my mind, there are more than a few exclusives from Botcon and the Club that I am still missing. Gives me something to bargain hunt on lulls in Generations. Provided that lulls in Generations ever HAPPEN again...

11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, with the demise of Legends and the last wave of PotP scheduled to come out in July I can't remember a more lull year, IMO.

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Not really. The prices were always really high. The year I was a member, and they did the G2 Ramjet I was interested in, their e-mails were bungled so I didn't find out until it was sold out. That experience really soured me on what they had to offer. Most of their selections after that were uninspired as well. The Photoshops floating around now, many of which actually are interesting for a change, I don't think ever had a chance and are little more than a final middle finger from Fun Publications.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My understanding is the photoshops were one pitch for an idea, not actually the final idea that would have gone forward.

However, it is stuff like that I miss the most, because the club touched non-mainstream stuff Hasbro would generally not do.

That said, that pool has shrunk over time. In 2007, Dreadwing was obscure. In 2008, SG Jazz stood in for our Classics Jazz because Hasbro had no plans for him. By 2014, we were down to obscure unmade Japanese characters. What I'm demonstrating is the club was running out of things to do with their exclusive characters, and had to reach to ever more obscure guys to do it.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That's a good thing. I would have liked to have seen the Action Master themed set.

Plus Botcon didn't have to stay with G1. If they had to, they could have moved onto a Unicron Trilogy themed set. Given all the fan ideas, there is no end to the possibilities of what could be done even when taking into account what Hasbro themselves are doing. Hasbro and Takara can't do everything by themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  15. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I have always hated the Fun Publications toys. To be extremely frank, I have always felt that they were made for a special group of collectors; those that lived in America, or had a lot of money to spend. Most of their toys went for outrageous amounts of money in the aftermarket. They were truly exclusives which is what they were meant to be, but I simply hated this concept for its elitism factor.

If we look at TakaraTOMY exclusives, we can see that outside of the rarest event or lucky draw exclusives, most of their exclusives are simply store exclusives, audio/magazine/video/.etc pack-ins, or free gifts upon purchase. Most if not all event or lucky draw exclusives are only repaints, unlike Fun Publications which releases sets of toys year after year leaving people who are unable to obtain them drooling behind. If you happen to live in Asia, Hasbro Asia even imports most of the TakaraTOMY exclusives like normal toys. This is not the case for Fun Publications toys, if you do not get them from the source itself, most of them inflate almost immediately to outrageous amounts of money in the aftermarket, which made them truly unobtainable without a fat wallet.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    In a perfect world, I would have liked a bit of a higher production run, but it wouldn't be the first extremely limited edition thing I've ever seen sold at those numbers.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I think it was more a special in-group than anything as inclusive as living in America or having money to spend.

That AM recolor of TR Prime looks really nice and that's exactly why I don't think it ever had a chance. Those Photoshops were floated to make us feel guilty about not supporting the club when it had those data breaches, registration via fax, clunky websites, insane international shipping, and spotty e-mail delivery. Had Botcon continued, we would've gotten something else that the special in-group wanted instead.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I won’t miss them. The pics were fun to look at...which I will always be able to do. For me, the prices have always been prohibitive. And, the only one I’ve ever really wanted anyway is the Ironhide retool/repaint of Towline (who should have been Ironhide in his mainline release in the first place).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

What he said. Most of it was just repainted figures for crazy prices it seems like.

20. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.