Are you Ever a Non Transformer Collector???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bigdaddymcqueen, Sep 22, 2016.

1. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    I kind of dabble in different things. When I was a kid I had loads of TMNT paraphenalia, but not that many toys.
    I consistently buy Batman trades for many years, but I aim to keep my collection small rather than big.

I've bought thousands of comics over the years, but got rid of most of them for space reasons, and when I switched from monthlies to only ever buying trades.

I had a handful of TF as a kid, but only started "collecting" them in the last two years.

I've bought various Marvel figures over the years, and superhero stuff in general, but just random things, not a full line, or really a collection, but enough that I can post a pic like this:

[​IMG]

"All Hail Soundwave"

I've got maybe 50 Dragonball Z figures in a box somewhere, but I don't know where exactly.

I tend go for "Superhero Stuff" in general, not really a collection (other than comics) so much as a general theme.
    The door to my Sanctum Sanctorum (where I write my blogs and talk shit online) looks like thus:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used to collect Pokemon miniatures back in 1999, and still have about two boxes of those somewhere. I tend to give them away one at a time when my partners young nieces are around, and other random toys if I think they will like them.

I've bought hundreds of video games and movies on DVD/BD over the years, but not really a collection, just consumables to enjoy. And gotten rid of a lot for space and more digital media etc.

I've bought a coupe thousand books, but I usually keep it about 500 or under (I hope?) at any given time, and regularly do "cullings" where I get rid of older stuff, and my main reading (other than comics) these days is non-fiction stuff, often as research for my various blogs and articles.

I've gone a bit TF mad the last year or two, and I have nowhere to put them now, will get some kind of shelf at some point, but only reason I have anywhere at all is that I have bookshelves for my various books and comics (and research pop-culture articles), it would be nice to get a dedicated toy shelf in the next year, and reserve the bottom of it for oversize comics trades and books about comics etc.

I kind of just put TF wherever I cant fit them at the moment.

[​IMG]

As I've got limited space in this small room, I kind of rotate things every few months to keep it interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of the limited space I just chuck stuff wherever it can fit.
    This room was not intended to fill up with toys, but it kind of did. Whoops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before my last move, I used to have mainly marvel stuff around and 6-12" figures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mostly this room is inspiring to me while writing my Batman, Transformers and other blogs, and the books are there for reference as well as personal enjoyment, so the toys and posters are more decoration, icing on the cake than a "collection" as such.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My main staple as a kid was always GI Joe. I have a ton of '82-'94 stuff through hand-me-downs, my own childhood, and later purchases. I am determined to AT LEAST complete that era, though I enjoy some of the newer stuff as well and have a different display setup in mind. I have the vast bulk of pre-Legends Toy Biz Marvel and want all the rest. I know Legends were and are great, and I really like the 4 inch scale current figures (be fun to put them next to the Joes), but the gimmicky, simpler early stuff was so fun and yielded an insane and probably never to be equaled amount of characters, both prominent and obscure. I want to rebuild my Rock Lords collection--my first ever action figure line. I've maybe a few more toy interests--Skeleton Warriors always seemed rad, and if the ExoSquad toys are half as cool as the show, I do so want them in my life. I have over 7000 comic books and near 300 TPBs. Superheroes always were and always will be part of my life, although I find things to fall short of the "bang for your buck" quota to keep me buying. I love wrestling. I want to complete my 90's Toy Biz WCW collection, but I mainly focus on DVDs--I've got nearly 400 now. And yeah, I still buy CDs.

I loved the Transformers show and concepts as a kid, but never quite could sink my teeth into the toys. I had only a handful, but they ranged in complexity from Red Alert to Goldbug, and for a kid that was first introduced to GI Joe, they were a bit brick-like for me across the board. Once they started up with CHUG, that became my primary collecting obsession. Finally, poseable versions of the characters I grew up with! And the engineering is so fascinating to me as an adult that I've went way beyond just G1 reinterpretations for an interest--so gonna get my Beast Wars on one day.

Man, we're lucky to have the stuff we have.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I have an elephant statue collection and I'm collecting those Grossery Gang things. I used to collect Shopkins, but I stopped collecting them after Grossery Gang came out.

4. bugscrap

bugscrap Member

Twitter:
    Pokémon used to be my only hobby pretty much, so I have a T O N of those. Almost none displayed, maybe ill fix that.
    Got my very first Yo-Kai Watch figure the other day, along with an assload of medals (yay being an adult liking a kids game C':) .
    Decent amount of Gunpla models, mostly built by my husband (dangerous game to play, owning 2 cats, if you don't complete it in one sitting)

5. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a kid I had a boat load of ninja turtles. As an adult I collected star wars 3.5" clones Really hard for awhile. I finally gave that up and ebayed half off and kept the ones I liked.

6. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just remembered another thing I dabble in is V-tech Shift & Go Dinos.

7. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Every now and again I will get something Five Nights at Freddy's, Star Wars, DC, Pokémon or LEGO related but that is usually just a drop in the bucket compared to what I do with Transformers.

8. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collect music. I have 800+ CDs and 200+ vinyl. It's all really organized though, so it is not as big a mess as it sounds like.

I also have a small movie collection. Just a few dozen. But I'm unfortunately getting in to buying the limited steelbook blurays, so it can be pricey.

Other than that, I just have a few non-transformers comic books and toys laying around, but nothing I would actually consider "collecting".

9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I too have a small DVD collection, but I'm trying to decide if I want to collect them or just get the movies I truly loved. Especially since I'm very picky on what movies I get. Right now I'm trying to focus in on getting all the Marvel Cinematic Films since getting Ant Man for Christmas and just recently picking up Civil War.

10. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I kind of avoided buying DVDs and Blurays until I got a few Marvel MCU movies. Then it quickly became ALL Marvel movies. Plus a few other favorites.

11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    In addition to Transformers I collect music (mostly on vinyl) and comic books. I suspect I actually spend more on comics than I do Transformers. As far as toys go, I have a small collection of comic book figures and a few other things but nothing that rivals my TF collection.