Are we suppossed to buy two of each figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chazparks, Dec 15, 2006.

1. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

The Transformers toys look best opened and standing on a shelf but that might hurt resaliabilty.

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...and?!

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I wish I could insert sound effects when I made posts, because this one would get the Hanna Barbera "head shake in confusion" sound.

NeeneeeneeNEEEEE!?

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you'll more than always end up losing money w/ current transformers. everyone buys tons of the toys and keeps them MISB so they're not gonna be rare like the old stuff

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If this is the 80s I'd advise you to do just that with G1 toys, but nowadays many collectors like to keep a few boxed so you won't get too much if you sell them MISB. You'd be lucky to make $5 more than what you paid for.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    heheh. i always thought it was more like poo-yagah-poo-yagah-pooyagah.

on topic. depends entirely on the intent of your collection. if your in it for profit, i dont see a reason to even buy another for opening in the 1st place.

7. chazparks

That is what I was thinking as market price is based on supply and demand. If the figures are in all stores and in large quantities there would seem to be little if any return. However, I see people still keeping some of their newer purchases sealed.

I'm keeping my Star Wars figures sealed because they display better that way but with Transformers part of the fun in the display is lost if they aren't opend.

8. SFGMaster

SFGMaster Owns a Juvisy

I think the question itself makes a false assumption-- That is, by asking what we are 'supposed' to do, it implies that there's a wrong way to have the hobby.

We're supposed to do it the way that makes us happy. If that means two each to keep a sealed collection and a play collection, fine. If that means only one of each because sealed isn't worth it, fine. If it means you only buy the ones that appeal to you and not the rest, fine.

(On the other hand, if it means you only buy hundreds of copies of G1 Dreadwind, every one that appears on eBay-- NO! Totally WRONG! F-minus-minus!!)

There's no collector police; there's not even 'good' collectors and 'bad' collectors. Just do what makes you happy.

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    You';re both wrong, it was a fast boingy soung.

bingabingabingaBING!

Ever since Star Wars Episode 1, sealed toys have deprecated in value rather than appreciating. After five years, new MISB toys are worth about half their purchase value.

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually, it began even before episode 1, with the POTF2 stuff.

hasbro/kenner thought they could repeat what happened with the vintage but it didnt pan out that way when everybody and their cousin from their mothers side twice removed collected sealed toys.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah. :(  I've got a pair of MOSC Han & Chewie '97 POTF cards which have accumulated nearly no value.

12. chazparks

Isn't price accumulation usually do two factors?

1. When 5 year old Johnny reaches 25, finds a box of his old toys in the attic and decides he wants to complete the collection he started once but never go around to. When he is finished collecting the prcie goes down slightly.

2. All the figures are sold out at the store and a person wants so he/she pays the higher dollar amount. When everyone that wants has one the price goes down drastically.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's more because there are still many MISB collectors around. It's just a niche, way little to do with reselling as far as I can tell.

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, I was seeing/hearing more of the Dexter's lab empty blinky sound. *BLINK*BLINK* Kind of a hollow high bell tone.

Now, as to value, I find it AMAZINGLY humorous that collectors these days bitch about the value of toys in package five or less years old. You know, I remember seeing Ratchet and Bluestreak five years after they stopped selling them most places for five bucks sealed in the stores. Yet, look what they go for today. I'm not saying that the modern stuff will ever be worth what G1 stuff is worth today, but twenty years from now I can totally see someone paying thirty to forty bucks for a sealed on card Armada Laserbeak because he remembers running around his yard pretending to shoot movies of the neighbor ladies sun bathing.

But I still say if you're collecting for monetary value, you're bound to be disappointed no matter how much it appreciates. They're toys, not investments.

15. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Open them. You know you want to! Give in to that inner child and ignore the greedy, "I'm gonna be rich, bitch!" voice. I killed mine dead.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An interesting point to note is that some of the Japanese toy companies are also affecting the secondary market for MISB toys by reissuing their products. For example, Bandai with their Soul of Chogokin line.

17. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    While I understand MISB collectors, unless it's vintage stuff, I open everything new. I just gotta get me that "fix" of a new toy, and putting it through it's paces. Anything mass produced in high volume most people have already got it if they wanted it. While I do I do take pics of the MISB toy, or "haul", unless it's something that's "rare" or "limited", that's the only chance they are staying MISB. They are screaming to be freed and "play with me" (well, at least to me :) )

Yet sometimes I open stuff and then look back and almost wish I hadn't because of sudden rarity or more desireable because of limitedness - I'm looking at YOU Anime Astrotrain :throw 

I do suppose if you want a figure to open and you think it may become rare and want to invest to get two. The first thing that comes to mind are some e-hobby re-issues (mostly the early or more popular ones) I sure wish I thought of that sooner. And I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that.
    But then, I never did open my Sunstorm...got lucky there. I mean, it goes against my will a little, but I know if I need a couple hundred bucks in a pinch to "KEEP IT SEALED"

but as a general rule to toys, NO. That is, unless you have a DeLorean that when it hits 88MPH it...um, yeah