Are we being trolled by companies producing transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by chnkyclnkytrike, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Mainframe Studios and Mid 90's Hasbro Executives are the true trolls.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Greedy doesn't mean trolling. It just means some managers or owners are going to come up with a strategy to produce and promote their products in the way that makes them the most money for the least effort. It almost never means some super-genius-machiavelli-from-mad-men whipping people into a frenzy over some bullshit issue, and almost always means a fairly by the books marketing campaign because thats fairly easy for them to create and manage.

Again, I think you're overthinking the situation, compared to a body of fans who lose their damn shit on the regular over basically minor things.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, There Is No Impossible

News Credits:
    It's about money.

4. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    How are companies trolling us by OFFERING PRODUCTS WE WANT TO BUY?

Trolling us is more akin to FanToys showing teasers for products we want that they DON'T put out... but even that isn't trolling, as they obviously intend to put that stuff out (even if it takes years), it's just that they've designed more figures than they have the industrial capacity to produce and deliver to market in a timely fashion.

NOBODY is trolling us, aside from ourselves. Has/Tak clearly gives a shit about us, notwithstanding the "Hazblow" vitriol -- yeah, they have budgetary constraints, etc. but they could probably make just as much money without catering to the hardcore TF fanbase at all (which, given the headaches and disrespect we give them, would make perfect sense to me). And 3rd Party companies care so much they're filling relatively small market niches with things that Has/Tak doesn't even think are worth making.

The idea that any of these companies are trolling US is, frankly, stupid.

Now, do they troll EACH OTHER? HELL YEAH!!!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Bobby Skullface is only in things for the drama. It's how he makes his money through adds. Clickbaity titles, kick backs from retailers he knows are scamming people like GCI, putting MAAS Toys on a pedestal of innocence and letting them disparage other third parties while their head was scamming tons of people. He's a very flawed person. I don't watch his titles because he was literally scamming people and ignoring tons of evidence about GCI/Killinger and then telling them to shop there despite knowing what was going on.

As for the Unicron situation, companies play the market, and do look to entice and create hype. Creating drama? That can work too for them. Anything that makes people more aware of stuff tends to help them. Though in Hasbros case Unicron seems like it might not be funded because they've utterly failed at crowd funding.

• Like Like x 5
  7. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  8. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Anyone, that takes collecting be it toys or whatever, should only care about what they spend there money on. While, I am for everyone being able to buy at least one of whatever he/she collects, it has no effect on me at all. No other collector should become upset, because I bought A and B, and the same rules apply to me. I do not think MP-44 and Unicron caused any real issues. Those that buy the MP line bought the Prime. The Haslabs Unicron while overpriced and should not be crowdfunded, as many collectors here cross collect (for example, how many collectors preordered the $1,300 Hulkbuster Ironman being released next year). I think the primary issue with the Unicron is paying now and receiving it 18 months later, if smaller companies can offer preorders, the largest toy manufacturer be it publicly traded can offer preorders (price of doing business in 2019).

9. TFFan77

TFFan77 Well-Known Member

This - nail on head!

10. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

No, HasTak isn’t delving that deeply into consumer psychological profiles.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I wonder if Care Bears fans have these kinds of fights? Like, is there a Care Bears fan out there still pissed about the introduction of the Care Bear Cousins? Do they go on 5 page rants about how the Care Bear Beanie Babies are cheap-ass "kiddie-grade KOs"?

Truth be told, I just want an MP style No Heart. This MFer is Metal.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  12. Weezie

Weezie TURN AROUND, BRIGHT EYES TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't paid it any attention, just been focusing on the toys I want. It's less of a headache this way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Pre-Care Bear cousins version or I will fite u

14. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    zOMG ur no true fan. GTFO.

15. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

Sorry that my post about the Unicrons has triggered you. I am not Mr. Zeta. You must be new here because 3rd party companies troll each other all the time. One company releases a product shot then another company releases a render (Looking at you Fanstoys). Or they release a promo shot of their figure beheading another company’s (still looking at you FT).

The significance of Zeta having a finished prototype to show is that they didn’t have Hasbro in mind while developing it. If Zeta was trolling, they’d show a drawing of Unicron, announcing that theirs will be 30 inches, that it is better than the Hasbro one and will cost significantly less.

What they are doing is piggybacking off the hype, taking advantage of an opportunity to sell an alternative to a part of the market that was left out because of Hasbro’s pricing.

I am just giving my thoughts about the OP’s question and no where in there was the question about my stance on IP theft so I do not know why you brought it up.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are just reacting to Hasbro and Takara's Price gouging.
    Like how a Select Series seacon is way more expensive than Zetar is say as takara is the lead on that product so the price is what Takara says it is and it's much higher than seems fair to some especially when you add up the total cost - but he seacons are hardly the worse the MP's really do take the mickey Bumblebee's Masterpiece is a glorified Deluxe to be honest but many multiples of the price. The price of Megatron or Dinobot borders on Fantastical - so people were primed to be somewhat irked by Unicron's price when it showed up essenially out of the blue with such a short window of time attached to a crowd funding push.

Since some people were already rather annoyed about Takara's pricing they were kind primed to be annoyed - To be honest I don't even really know if his price is reasonable is he 3 times the mass of a titan to justify 3 times the price ? Or is anything much past $300 always going to seem rather outlandish regardless ?

Takara's mony troubles is meaning they are selling to ever smaller markets and to be honest they might be putting some people off completely buying something in the 1st place - thus them failing to kickstart a collection.

It doesn't help that Hasbro keeps doing all these collectable Giftsets too more often than not those are on the expensive side too. Some of them seem like they are taking the michael even making them in the 1st place (example the Cyberverse Warrior Class Starscream & Optimus two pack).

• Like Like x 2
  17. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I think a lot of the KO-leaning companies, don't "understand the fandom well enough" to intentionally do something like that. Best example: MP Bluestreak. If I, a big G1 fan, owned a KO company, and got/copied the Bluestreak mold as early as they did----I would have IMMEDIATELY made blue Bluestreaks, as many as I could. Let Takara sell the "colorscheme they invented just for the MP". I'd be trying to satisfy the fandom's 30-year pent-up demand for a blue Bluestreak, and hopefully be selling them as fast as I could make them. And "G1 toy-colored" all-silver ones, too, early on. Making those versions, are super-hyper-obvious to any G1 carbot fan, as the first things to do with an MP Bluestreak mold. Could have had 100% of the blue and silver Bluestreak markets, for months, as not even Takara had done them, by the time the first KO's were coming.

But---no one did. They just exactly copied Takara's release. THEN, after Takara did blue and silver---they did too of course. But they could have sold so many blue and silver ones, if they'd been the first (and at the time, only) company(ies) to offer them, vs Takara's original "gunmetal" option which was neither G1 toy, G1 toon, nor catalog colors.

To me, this shows that at least a good chunk of the 3P/KO companies, don't really "get" the fandom, and/or aren't fans themselves, but simply "know G1 is a thing, and google pics, and then make stuff based on it as best they know how---but don't really have much passion/knowledge about the history behind it". Now, of course, there's plenty of companies that clearly DO have a ton of fandom/knowledge/passion, but there's just as many that don't, based on some very odd choices made. (like making entire combiner teams based on a single non-canon depiction instead of their standard look, or not making super-obvious high-demand repaints until after HasTak does it)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    :lol 
    That's a great analogue.

19. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Funny that, I only ever wanted the silver and the blue Bluestreaks. More than Prowl and Smokescreen too.

I’m still waiting on MP-18B to go on clearance again.

Oh, and I was pissed at the Wuzzles.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:04 AM
  20. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

Your argument makes no sense. First, your Bluestreak/Silverstreak analogy ignores the definition of a knock-off. Second, you equate 3P and KOs, which are two entirely different concepts.

The nature of KOs is to make a facsimile of a product being released into the market, to trick/provide the consumer an exact copy as a far cheaper alternative. Often times they use the same molds, material and paints because it’s the same factories. They aren’t fans, it’s just a quick way to make a buck and hopefully not get caught or have your products seized. A different color Streak lets everyone, from unknowing consumers to customs, know it’s a fake.

Now for 3P, they’ve released so many figures that Takara/Hasbro haven’t. Remember that Masterpiece Springer released, that was Fanstoys, MMC, DX9, OpenPlay. What about a full set of Dinobots? Not Takara. Fanstoys, Gigapower, Toyworld and GCreations did though. By your logic, Takara is the one that doesn’t get their fandom.

As for the design aesthetics, they follow market. First, there were the companies that crossed over from the CHUG market, where designs were all stylized. Then for a while, MP-10 was the standard, a realistic alt mode and take on cartoon characters. All 3P figures had to look like the can exist in that world, with their own spin, because we demanded it. Now, Takara is going the toon-accurate route and companies are falling in line. These companies follow the Takara design cues because it makes the most money.