Are we being trolled by companies producing transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by chnkyclnkytrike, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

1. chnkyclnkytrike

chnkyclnkytrike Well-Known Member

this thread is solely about the companies producing transformers rather they be official or third party.

I just watched Bobby skullface community at war 4 dummies, while watching this it brought up some thoughts.

Drama and fighting over hastak siege uni and mp 44. A lot of these products are causing dissension amongst the ranks (collectors).

I feel like companies are trolling us. What brought this about is when they discuss in the video how pressure in the community was rising and boiling over, but when zeta announced their version of uni pressure released. The whole time I’m noticing this I’m wondering what is zetas angle on this. After watching I realized zeta comes in and relieves tension on the uni situation. Almost like they knew what was gonna happen and they provided a way for us options which in turn helped calm some of the community down. Which is a good thing and not trolling imo.

Well you have hasbro with uni and takara with mp 44. These companies have extensive research and development tools at their disposal. They know how certain actions will affect the community. With all the knowledge and information that’s so readily available it’s easy to profile then troll people.

Just like the person working in your shop or office who thrives on drama, they literally can’t function wo drama ie stirring the pot, talking shit about everything and everyone. That’s how imo it seems some of these companies are operating, like I said this is my opinion.

Marketing has profiled everyone and with that being said you can’t tell me that when they make a move they don’t have a damn good idea how it’s gonna affect the consumer.

Drumming stuff up for drama at the expense of others is trolling in my opinion. The troll who knows what they are doing then when the drama engages they sit back and laugh.

I think we get irritated with each other, and I don’t think it’s right when it’s the result of companies “sheep dogging us” into what result they know is gonna take place. They all have been visiting here and seeing what our preferences and tolerances are and they’ve been doing it awhile.

Use your power to strengthen the community not put a wedge in it for money.

Like I said I think some of these companies are and some are not.

These comments are solely mine and hopefully it doesn’t get deleted for speaking up about a situation that is obviously dividing us.

We should be treating each other with respect and how we would want to be treated, a couple days ago I found myself getting angry about something and lashing out on here and it’s just not worth it. I would rather be a positive force and helpful then harmful, so while I am not perfect I can try to do better.

A very good friend of mine who I met on here told me after a negative situation happened on here “collecting is supposed to be fun”. What has been happening and where it’s heading is not fun.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Fans should not be blaming the companies for their own overreacting. Companies are in it just for the money, nothing else.

• Like Like x 35
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They want your money. That's all.

Hasbro wants our money, but in the grand scheme of things, they know collectors make up a small part of their customer base. So they throw us bones now and then, and if we get burnt by the offerings they make to the general market (that is, kids), that's just collateral damage. They put precisely as much money and effort into their decisions as they think is best for their bottom line, and they likely make use of the information available to them (including keeping a finger on the pulse of the fandom, to a degree), but at the end of the day they're run by humans and might read the situation wrong.

It's not like they NEED to do anything to stir up drama and dissent in the fandom. No matter what they do, that's going to happen. There will always be some group unhappy with what Hasbro does for one reason or another. The bigger or more focused their action, the more drama will be created, in most cases.

Third party companies are a little different, but not really. They cater to collectors, and at a smaller scale, and probably need to watch fan reactions more closely and understand their wants more deeply, but again, at the end of the day they're going to chase the money. I could see a 3rd party company playing up an issue on social media to drum up attention or maybe release a 'joke' product, but at the end of the day if they piss off too many people and alienate their customers, that'll affect their ability to make money.

'never attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetence' is a good rule of thumb to follow, in many cases. I think you're giving all these companies way too much credit in terms of how deeply they care about what fans on message boards are complaining about.

• Like Like x 6
  4. chnkyclnkytrike

Whenever there’s money involved tactics will ensue. Wether they are positive or negative but some of the time these tactics become greedy

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Anyone white-knighting Zeta is sadly mistaken. They didn't announce their Unicron to relieve fan tension. They announced it as an IP-thefted alternative for all the fans who think Haslab Unicron is too expensive. If anything, Zeta is trolling Hasbro while they're trying to get a massive figure funded for production.

You may ask why Hasbro went to the funding option in the first place? Because Hasbro operates as a supplier to retailer distribution. But no retailer wants a 27" 29 lbs (with the stand) Transformer on their shelves or in their warehouses. In order for production to move forward for ANY exclusive, Hasbro wants a distributor to buy a guaranteed minimum. Because no retailer would buy these, they're going straight to the fans and asking them to collectively purchase it as a substitute.

Zeta then strolls in during the campaign and offers a cheaper alternative. Now, I don't know if Hasbro is necessarily missing TOO many sales because of this because most of the Zeta buyers were probably never going to get a Haslab version anyway. But I do think it's negatively impacted Hasbro's campaign at least a little - and this is a time when Hasbro needs all the help they can get to reach their goal. Rather, Zeta would have looked much better by waiting until AFTER the campaign was over to announce their version. In theory, they'd probably get about as many sales. But it's obvious they are trying to leach a few off Hasbro instead. So that just confirms to me that the true bad guy here is Zeta, end of story.

That's not to let off Hasbro scott-free, either. $600 is a load that the majority of Transformers fans clearly can't bear and they should've known better by shaving off some mass. I think if it had hit under $400, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Like Like x 9
  6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't blame the companies, past a certain point. This is us, it's all on our shoulders. The only thing I can really fault Hasbro for is their handling of Unicron. I think asking for $600+ out of people is ridiculous. When they see people are in a frenzy and fighting with each other, they should stay out of it and keep quiet. Posting videos about how can response has been great, 8t's a limited run, etc... That just makes it worse.

The fan response has not been the best it could've been, it didn't actually fund, at all, ever, so they extended the deadline and still nope. That's a fact.

Zeta and other 3rd parties aren't innocent, either, but they tend to get a pass because they're not a billion-dollar company. I'll be honest, I can expect this kind of hysteria from a company like that, but it never actually comes. Their customer service tends to be better, some of them talk with the fans directly, aside from Keith/KFC/X-Transbots they seem to want to be a success and listen to the fans/fan input. Hasbro, on the other hand, has so many apologists it's astounding. They end up doing the dirty work for them. Hasbro cashes in on that.

If anything, it's a mutual trolling, but we're to blame because we treat each other like garbage over toys.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

Zeta isn’t trolling, it’s a good business strategy.

They obviously have been developing their Unicron for a while. Haslab has their figure, which priced a lot of people out and is too large for some people. Zeta steps in and says, “Hey, we got you.”

Maybe Hasbro should have just waited until DC female action figure Bumblebee to be off store shelves BEFORE they merchandised their robot. Nope, they sued DC. It’s not personal, it’s business.

And I don’t think it’s the companies, it’s us. People have always been that way; white, yellow, brown, black; Democrat or Republican; Ford or Chevy; Pepsi or Coke; iPhone or Android. We are tribalistic.

The difference is the evolution of 3rd party. In the beginning, they were add-on kits to the official and it was cool. Then, they became in-direct competitors and it was tolerated but people started forming camps. Now, they are direct competition so everyone has to put the other side down.

We saw it within the 3rd party community first when the companies started designing the same characters, then it became FT vs. KFC/XTB vs. MMC vs. MT. For some reason, people believe that they are what they buy so other people’s choices are offensive. We put others down to feel secure about ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wanting to make money is not 'greed'.

• Like Like x 4
  9. chnkyclnkytrike

We do treat each other like garbage and hopefully we can fix that. It will never be perfect but we can treat one another on here better than we have been

I’m enjoying reading what people are saying here it’s opinion driven but no one bashing each other.

Opinions are great we all have them and that fine. We will never all feel the same about everything but we can be better to each other.

Like Bobby skullfaces review it got me thinking and I may not agree with everything he says, I agree with quite a bit he does say though. Just to make clear no where in his video did he reference my thread topic. These are my thoughts

Correct some go about making money the right way and some do not. That’s where the greed comes in when it’s done negatively, immorally or illegally

I edited that above post to read what I meant a little betterThat wasn’t how I meant it to read.

When texting thoughts it’s easy to get the wires crossed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    :popcorn 

• Like Like x 2
  11. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Shut up Blur! ~The Rude Awakening of Optimus TFW2005 Supporter

Its also the time we live in. Where everyone thinks their opinion is more important then everyone else. With the power of the internet it gives them a virtual soapbox to cry out without any fear of repercussion, but we also live in a time where everyone is so thin skinned that any differing opinion is viewed as a personal attack on their beliefs or views.

Im just sitting here like.....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  12. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

It's all about the $$
    3rd party was the pricy upper end of collecting , so it's easy for people to say they are fake transformers and try to be happy with what they got from hastak
    Not the case now

I consult with Merlins left nipple before any purchase

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  13. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is a philosophical matter. Saying something is "right" (or "moral" for that matter) requires a universal or consistent standard (a constant) against which we can reliably measure or judge things as right or wrong, moral or immoral. It cannot rest on mere opinion, else there would be no certainty about anything, as the measure would vary over time based on a wide array of subjective factors and it would result in... well, the increasing mania that is happening all around us today on all sorts of issues as a result of abandoning any standard for measuring such things accurately. People today have taken to saying incoherent things like "my truth" or "your truth". There is just the truth, that which conforms with reality and fact. Everything else is personal opinion and subjective experiences and gets us nowhere when it comes to establishing objective truth, and thus right from wrong.

We may not like what some other entity does with their business, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong or immoral. That has to be determined by an objective standard outside of ourselves. Such a rational response is becoming unfortunately less common these days. More and more we seem to be driven by emotion and personal opinion, which results in things like reactionary witch hunts and cancel culture.

Legality is an issue of law and whether something that is being done is allowed or disallowed by the laws on the books in the locale where it is being done or the laws applicable to the individual or corporation based on their citizenship or affiliation. Note that laws can be immoral or wrong but they would still technically define what is legal/illegal regardless of their moral standing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    • Like Like x 3
  14. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

So Takara is making some expensive products, or trying to, and that equals drama? Does it?
    Happily I do not pay attention to all that. Seems to me the fans will freak out and go nuts no matter what. There is no way to make everyone happy. That's not Takara's fault.
    You think they are trying to freak out their fans on purpose?? I doubt it. If anything, they may have realized their fans will flip our over anything, so why even pay attention to it? Why be scared of it? Why let that affect your decisions at all?

• Like Like x 2
  15. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Lol companies aren't trolling us, we just have a high proportion of extremely entitled ass holes in the fandom.

Could be worse though, you could collect Star Wars or Masters of the Universe.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Duke spino

Duke spino Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I know its not likely, but the image this idea conjures up, is hilarious.

Like, I'm just imagining all these companies sitting at a lunch tables, with uncontrollable giggles, discussing how to mess with their buyers. There is no way thats possible....

... I think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chareos

Chareos The last in line

News Credits:
    People who can't control themselves and don't treat others with respect - even to "strangers" on the internet - are immature regardless of the subject of their arguments.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Yep, they sure will. Infighting is nothing new and doesn't require orchestration and puppeteers. I've been around here since the early days and there has always been this kind of fighting about something; Trukk vs. Munkky, mainline toys vs. masterpiece toys, Bay movies vs. everything else. 3rd Party vs. Official is just the latest thing to fight and henpeck each other over. And that goes for every fandom, and human society in general.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

To be fair, Trukk vs. Munkky is a real controversy. Robots that transform into organic animals, whatevs.

• Like Like x 2
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    To go toe-to-toe with Hasbro using IP-thefted merchandise? That's not trolling a company? That's the very ESSENCE of trolling a company.

Why does this matter?

Let's say Disney actually got around to making the Obi-Wan movie and released a trailer for it. Meanwhile, some fans made a big budget Star Wars film featuring Obi-Wan with all the same characters only that their names were changed - and quickly kick out THEIR trailer shortly after Obi-Wan's hits. Would you say that's not trolling? Would you not say that's some pretty f*cked up shady shit right there?

I never let Hasbro off the hook. They're a business too and the Bumblebee thing seemed petty on the surface. But the fact is if a company DOESN'T file suits like that, it can dilute their own claim if challenged by someone else. When it comes to Trademarks and Copyrights, you have to alpha those things or risk losing them.

And last I saw, IP theft was not the name of their game.