Are we about to see the end of GameStop?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Jan 29, 2019.

1. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

This literally happened to me today. Picked up Tales of Vesperia this morning while I was out. The guy pulled the game out of a sleeve, said it was their last copy, and they used the box as the display.

2. Cracka J

Cracka J TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    why do people buy their opened games as new? I just leave if that is all they have, what a waste of money.

oddly enough the hollywood videos/game crazys that are out of business in my state now was where i actually got in a verbal argument with an employee not wanting to refund me over the situation. I preordered a game, went to pick it uo cause they never let me know it was in stock and they ended up opening the only copy (my preorder) that was sent to them. told them it wasnt new and I wanted my deposit back and then entered a verbal argument with the employee for 5 minutes before he got sick of me and refunded, while still yelling at me as I walked out of the store that it was still new.

I reported the dude to corporate and then a month later like all the game crazies were gone here in IL. Just a coincidence of course but the shitty attitude was probably cause they were folding anyway and didnt care.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sixwing

Sixwing Ruination awaken!

I think I might save some money, for when my local GameStop starats liquidating stock.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Well, the one game I bought that way was on sale for what would've been the used price. If it had been full price, I would have passed.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

The only time I did buy one of those was when it was a last minute Xmas gift and I didn't have time to get it from somewhere else.

However, I hate that shit. I was actually working at Gamestop the day we were notified to start gutting a copy of each game and even my manager was like, "WTF? So now we have to sell open game as new? That's messed up."

• Like Like x 5
  6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There was a local "mom and pop" chain in my area that wouldn't include the box or manual with cartridge-based games unless they had extras, keeping at least one in reserve for display. Even plastic keep cases like Sega used back in the day. So if some one sold them a complete-in-box copy of Mega Turrican, for example, and that store never received a boxed copy of that game before, they would split it up and refuse to sell it complete "because we need the box for display if we ever get it in again." But they would still charge the same as if it had the box. True story--this exact thing happened to me, and I just walked out. They almost went out of business and are down to just one store now. Subsequently, they relaxed this policy somewhat. Can't imagine why ;) 

So maybe if GameStop is hurting enough and can't find a buyer, they'll wise up and act better. I doubt it, but we can hope.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

gamestop.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Crystalline

News Credits:
    Like they’ll take off anything more then $3.

I bet when they tank they won’t refund anybodies pre-orders, either. That would truly destroy them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Have alot of good memories with Gamestop.

Like when that Final Fantasy 8 preorder came in, when they were next door to KayBee in the mall.
    Beast Wars & Machines on sale, just before Robots in Disguise & free AOL discs.

Their buisness wasnt the best but the community was fun times. Loading up from the $1-10 bargain bins was also nice. Will keep those horribly placed super smudgy pricetags on them now for future amusement. Keep your GS cards with the Blockbuster ones.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have some good memories, met some good employees. Also some frustrating ones in terms of selling games when I had some sire financial times, and what I got out of it. I also remember some of the video game stores that were around that got taken over by Gamestop. If memory serves, there was one called Funkoland, and they had used NES carts for just dollars. That was a golden time for me, so the good/ill memories kind of even out.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sixwing

Sixwing Ruination awaken!

That would.

12. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Same at EB Games in Australia.

They're especially skeevy about refunds for anything.

A few years ago I accidentally bought the Xbox360 version of FIFA instead of the Xbone version. Realised about 30 seconds after leaving the store, turned around and went back to the same salesperson (box still shrinkwrapped shut, so no way I could have taken the exclusive codes or anything).

"Hey I grabbed the wrong version, can I swap them out and pay the difference?"

"Sorry as you're not an EB World premium member we can't do returns"

I laughed. It's one of the few times in the years I've worked as a lawyer that I've played the "I'm a lawyer and you can't do that card". After about 90 seconds he gave in and said that he'd make a one time only exception just for me and swapped the games out.

The whole EB Games/Gamestop (ie Gamestop Corp) just need to die. The closer the console industry gets to digital downloads being the standard, the closer we get to that reality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Not gonna lie, buying used games dirt cheap were quite a great thing back in those days.

• Like Like x 3
  14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I was just in one inquiring about the neca turtles. The guy said that they only had preorders in a shitty attitude. I told him he had a shitty attitude and walked out. That company can go to hell for all I care.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

I don't know. My local gamestops are great!

@Rodimus Prime I have never once had that happen to me. My new games are new. Sounds like your store just has some really sucky employees.

Besides, lots of stores will ask you if you want a warranty on items that have them. Bit unfair to blame GameStop for that, especially if you've bought new furniture or electronics elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's more like the reverse. This has been a well-known, widespread issue across the US, due to GameStop's company policies. If none of the stores near you do this, then you may well have a badass regional manager who has better ideas than the corporate policymakers.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    More than likely we will see them first closing a lot of stores and narrowing it down. If it gets bad they'll try to get it down to one store per city first in order to save money. I know we have 3 or 4 with in 5 to 10 minutes from me.
    If that doesn't work they are more than likely doomed. Honestly I never shop there anyway except on rare occasions when I'm either looking for something other places are out of and I want it now, or I'm just bored and browsing. I don't think I've actually bought any thing from there in 2 or 3 years and the last time I did it was a controller for an old game system when the one I had stopped working.

18. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I miss rhino games and eb games and gamestop bought and killed both. How is that not a monopoly? Blast it gamestop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened Moderator

News Credits:
    I'll bet everyone who considered buying them was turned away when the Gamestop lords said "But you can save 7.5 cents on this acquisition if you sign up for our pro rewards."

I really can't remember the last time I stepped foot in a Gamestop. Sometimes it's nice to have physical copies of games, but I would go to Target or Best Buy if I wanted that since I can always find what I need in my area, and I don't have to deal with Gamestop employees.

And really even that doesn't even matter much to me anymore. The only reason I'd have to get a physical game now is if it was a really awesome legendary edition of a game that actually offered good tangible stuff, but I don't see much of that now, or at least nothing that interests me. If I did, then, well, Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  20. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heck, the only reason I go into Gamestop is to check on their exclusive Marvel Legends/Star Wars Black series toys. I don't even pre-order my WOW expansions from them anymore. I'll feed the Amazon monster before I'll give another video game dollar to those jerks.