Are transformer shows doomed from the start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

I think the problem Prime had was not that it was too short, but that it was too padded. Darkness Rising was awesome, no denying that. But it seemed to fizzle out after the second season. Prime tried to be mature and epic, but it was too ambitious in it's attempt to flesh out Cybertron's history with the Relic Hunt. Trust me, the same thing happened in Beast Wars [namely in Season 3] and to an extent in Animated. And judging by how Hasbro is giving a big push to promote Beast Hunters as the final season, maybe it's a sign that things are improving.

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    conspiracy! :p 

Edit: It seems as though Prime was written by a bunch of teenager on raging hormones and RB by adults who are in tune with 'kiddie' stories and family entertainment. LMAO.

3. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You identified the key problems right there. On the whole Season 1 was very strong with a very good plot twist and conclusion regarding dark energon.

Season 2 just couldn't make a decision on what it wanted to be and it really suffered due to this. The relic hunt conclusion was pitiful although the final half of the season finale was good.

4. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

The thing everyone complaining about Prime ending seems to forget, or just not understand, is that the vast majority of cartoons never go past 65 episodes. That's roughly at the magical syndication sweet spot, which is all most companies care about. For every TF:G1 or B:TAS, you have like six or more shows that either end right at 65 episodes, or never got the chance to make it there in the first place. It's simply how the business works. With the exception of Clone Wars, which is treated like a regular prime time series, cartoons are not treated like prime time shows. Whether they have a toyline or not, they exist to sell advertising space, and syndicated shows = more viewings for more advertising.

Clearly you have never watched an anime or a BBC series. Most anime last 13 episodes, ever. Some get sequel seasons, while others last 24 - 26 episodes in the first place. Then you have OAVs, aka mini-series that are anywhere from 2 - 6 episodes, and crazy ass shows based off shounen comics that last for hundreds and hundreds of episodes. With craptons of terrible terrible filler. And BBC shows are usually around 6 to 12 episodes a season.

Yet they all (well, the average to good ones) manage to have plenty of character and story arch developments. Way more so than Prime did in season 2.

5. JackWheel

JackWheel JackWheel FTW

News Credits:
    I agree with this statement. I would rather have one or two season of really good Transformers entertainment, than 4 or 5 seasons of complete bull-shit.

6. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I agree with Split Lip also. And not trying to harp on the greatness of Beast Wars, but that show gave us what great writing can truly be. The first season was a typical transformers formula, but the entire series went into a new direction with the writing, and it turned out to be one of the most memorable series of all time. I honestly wouldn't want another beast wars season, because the story was great enough as it was. I feel like Prime suffered from hangover writing from the A/E/C era somewhat, but it had some interesting points. I don't know if Beast Hunters will be that unique piece that the series needs, but it might just be.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    They should realise by now that Transformers is all about change. :) 

Not to mention many movies too. Standalone films regularly introduce, develop and conclude great arcs for characters often in as little as an hour and a half. Add into that things like short animations such as ones done by Pixar that can set up a place and situation, tell you a story, and pile a load of character stuff into maybe less than five minutes.

For someone to say that three seasons isn't enough for character and story arc developments is just ludicrous and they obviously don't understand how good storywriting can be, and regularly is, delivered within some very tight time constraints.

8. skyfire2006

skyfire2006 Well-Known Member

We need a series that has good story lines and interesting character development. It's sad to see that tf prime only got only 13 episodes but some of the episodes I saw in season 2 were bad and personelly look like it wasn't well written and that they really weren't trying. If the writers could come up with good story arcs and good character devolopment each episode and put some heart in it then I think the show would last more than 13 episodes in a season. Dont get me wrong some of the episodes were good.

9. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

Animated shows generally only last about 3 seasons. And all shows are doomed from the start, nothing ever lasts forever.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Are you a newborn baby or something? Have you not seen how cartoons work? They run for a season or two, occasionally 3, and then end. You make it sound like Transformers cartoons get singled out.

Three seasons? All-time CLASSIC cartoons like the original Scooby Doo only ran 3 seasons with only 34 episodes. That's about half what TFP is getting. Gargoyles ran three seasons. Duck Tales ran 4, but let's face it: TFP is no Duck Tales. And sister-series G.I. Joe hasn't even had a 3-season show. Ever.

Get over it. I'm getting so tired of all this whining everywhere.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Could not disagree more.

Take the first 15 minutes or so of the movie Up. In that short period we see a couple's entire life from childhood sweethearts to elderly couple. All the big events of their life together is covered in just minutes.

Now take the Simpsons. A show that has been on since the 80's and the characters are still basically just like they have always been. Sure Bart doesn't say "cowabunga" these days but I don't think you could count that toward character development.

12. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

And if you're not crying by the end you have no soul.

13. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    amen. It was so well done. It tugged so hard on your heart strings that if you didn't cry, you either don't have a heart or your heart strings are broken. Either way, your loss.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Telly is a funny old world. Good stuff often gets pulled before its time, weak stuff gets allowed to hang around. Maybe there are behind the scenes considerations we're not able to fathom that actually make huge business sense when it comes to it all. Or maybe the people in charge are just flipping a coin to decide. But then if that was so the odds would even out and just as much good stuff and weak stuff would make it through.
    That is indeed a great example. Those first fifteen minutes were brilliant. Just a pity the rest of the movie that followed was so weak. Personally speaking of course. Maybe they ruined it for themselves coming so strong out of the gate that the rest of the movie couldn't live up to the opener.

But I'm aware there are many huge Up fans so I'm probably in the minority here with my opinions on the film. I also thought Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were ponderous meandering yawnfests. I really am a harsh critic of everything. :p 

15. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I don't think TF shows are doomed to start with.

I'm happy with engaging seasons of TF, yeah its a bit saddening but after awhile writers will run out of ideas, too.

Eventually, like next year we'll have another series of TF, hopefully with fresh new ideas and characters.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just love how pretty much every other show we had last year has fans mourning that it ended before they got a season 3 at all yet TFP fans are sad that they get A NEW SEASON and a 75 MINUTE MOVIE.

Just kidding I don't love that all. What's the matter? 3 is a good number. Hasbro has to sell new toys you know, if Hasbro doesn't sell new toys YOU DO NOT GET A CARTOON AT ALL.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Um... I just woke up... how long have I been asleep? Why are you talking in past tense? Last I checked Transformers Prime season 3 Beast Hunters hasn't even aired yet and you're talking as if you just saw the series finale. Here's your quote again only fixed so it doesn't look like a message from the future.

Also there's only one series that made it beyond season 3. That was G1 and the 4th season was only 3 episodes long and got canceled. Personally I think that set the limit that no series would ever advance beyond 3 seasons.

18. PrymeStriker

PrymeStriker Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They made it perfectly clear to us who Bumblebee, Starscream, Arcee, Ratchet, and Bulkhead were in the first 10 episodes, and made damn sure we knew what their personalities were. That's some character development.

Because Rescue Bots landed on Earth during the pilot. In Prime's pilot, they were already on Earth for more than three years. They've had time to familiarize themselves with Earth off-screen.

But this is why I want another game, show, or novel to bridge the events of Exiles and Prime. The 70 million year gap is left with so many questions, and Rage of the Dinobots is not going to cut it.

This...made my day.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

You get a big amen from the choir on that one. Firefly only gets one season while American Idol goes on forever, there just isn't any justice in the TV world.

20. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

To quote Peter Griffin:
    "Oh my god. Who da Hell Cares?"