Are they character enough for the character shelf? (Alternity Starscream & ToysRus Energon Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alpha Omega Trion Supreme, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    A big part of my collection is Optimus Primes. If its a transforming vehicle Optimus Prime, it goes on the Prime shelves. No apes allowed, no KOs. A smaller part of my collection though is Megatron and Starscream. I have a shelf each dedicated to the character, anything that evokes the G1 character in particular. Like most collectors, you're always finding a way to make your collection visually stimulating to you and more efficient(no overcrowding). So there's figures you're always wondering "Do they really fit in?" and "Can I do without it?"

I'm heavily leaning towards ebaying off ToysRus Energon Galvatron. He's too Galvatron-ish to be Megatron and too Megatron-ish to be Galvatron. I could be swayed into keeping him. Alternity Starscream, on the other hand, I'm a bit more conflicted about. He's not a seeker but he is a seeker. A car but not a jet.

So would you keep either on your Megatron or Starscream shelf? Why or why not? Are there any figures in your collection which were technically the character but still not evoking the character enough for you so you sold them off?

CIMG5059.JPG
    "Wait! We still function!"

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Keep Starscream. Doesn't matter he's not a jet as he looks the part enough.

Energon Megatron...that's up to you. If it's all about G1 Megatron, then get rid of him. If Galvatron is also a part of your display...get rid of him and buy the purple repaint. :p 

As for selling off "not good enough" characters, Classics Devastator and Universe 1.0 Sunstorm come to mind.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're nitpicking, IMO. What's the point in collecting something if you want them all to look the same?

• Like Like x 1
  4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Alternity SS is a unique piece in your SS display.

Like how Alternity OP stands out in any Prime collection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    It's that he doesn't have wing wings or a cockpit on his chest that's throwing me, I think.

That's the way it started out, and with my Optimus display there is quite a bit of leeway in how Optimus looks that I don't mind. There's more of a uniformity in my Screamer and Megatron displays though, and my eyes keep going to these two figures.

And I thought nitpicking is what us collectors do best. :) 

No Galvatron, and I do have two other Galvatrons that fit their respective movie displays. I did always like how this was voyager sized over the leader sized purple one. Never thought that mold needed to be that big.

Oh yeah, when I trimmed down my Devastator collection, Classics Devastator was first on the list. Yeah, it's construction vehicles, yeah, it was the right color, but nothing about it was satisfying me. It didn't look right to me in the collection, whereas the RiD repaint and the micromaster gestalt do.

6. cutestprincess

cutestprincess Well-Known Member

While he isn't exactly top priority, I do plan to add carscream to my Starscream collection one day after I amass most of the more obvious additions.
    If I was collecting Megatrons, I might go for that one, but I might actually be more inclined to find the energon version in Galvatron colors. Idk, since all the Unicron trilogy Galvatrons are very explicitly just powerup namechanges with it still being the same person, it's a more blurred line compared to the g1 incarnation who is a different character for all intents and purposes.